Pop Up Adds And Pups

i am using 2013 total security which is three license pacage.

my farther was complaining about a multitude of pop ups while using !E11.

ihave just returned after curing the problem.

bit defender could not detect any problems.

re-set IE 11 same problem.

tried to install malware bytes could not.

ran in safe mode :malware bytes found 945 PUP`s and i quarintined. PROBLEM SOLVED.

WHY did bitdefender allow this to happen?.

i am anoyed becuse i have recomended your software to countless amounts of people.

please respond with a sensible answer promptly (not the ususall nothing or Ten days later.

Comments

• Rohugh
    Rohugh ✭✭

There is understandably a lot of confusion about various security programs that scan for viruses/adware/spyware, they all do different jobs and there is no one "find everything" program.

There is a good article here about the differences.

It is advisable to run an antimalware program such as Malwarebytes Antimalware alongside your anti-virus as although there are some crossovers they do deal with different infections. Many here run MBAM Pro/Premier alongside Bitdefender and even more who will scan with it on demand.

Adware often comes bundled with other programs you may download, sometimes you are told they are there during installation (if you do a custom install)and the check boxes are easy to miss but other times they are sneakily installed without telling you. A PUP or PUA installed those ways will of course be allowed through as you have supposedly agreed to them, all you get is the pop-up ads, change of home page, another tool bar or maybe even worse.

• ran in safe mode :malware bytes found 945 PUP`s and i quarintined. PROBLEM SOLVED.

Malwarebytes is not designed to run in safemode.

PUP's are not a virus, they are bundled software /toolbars etc. that get added by the user when they download a program , and do not read the EULA, or installation pages before clicking "yes"/ "Install" or " OK " .

More and more apps/programs are coming bundled with "extras" and users really do need to check and double check what they are agreeing to install.

Even well known antivirus programs are coming laden with extra apps, tools and add-ons.

• grayghost2
    edited May 2014

Agreed ... there is NO single program that can-do-it-all.

Bitdefender did not let you down, because it is not intended to find malware nor adware/sneakware that you are tricked into installing.

There is currently a hole in IE ...

... and more info ...

Thankfully you did the right thing by running Malwarebytes when you suspected something suspicious.

Unfortunately very few people bother to make themselves even basically IT literate.

If you own a car, you know where to put gas/petrol in ... and the radiator need water/coolant ... and you know what a flat tyre looks like

But we dont blame the motor mechanic if we run out of fuel or the radiator is damaged and runs dry or we get a punctured tyre.

We have to take responsibility ourselves at some point.

My wife would never backup in spite of my showing her how, her PC hard drive crashed and she lost EVERYTHING. A hard lesson.

Virus and malware crooks are always looking for holes to sneak their "mess" into our PCs.

Bitdefender update the virus list every 2 hours, and they can only know about a virus if people report them.

I run ALL my downloads through VirusTotal ... before installing ANYTHING.

Then I check the downloaded file with Bitdefender AND Malawarebytes before attempting to install anything.

- Occasionally I get false-positives ... (reported as a risk when the download is not a risk)

- if you are not sure what to accept ... google the name of the "risk" and see what other people have got to say.

- sometimes you will get lucky and find a hit on a Bitdefender thread

- VirusTotal, Bitdefender and Malwarebytes are tools in your arsenal to protect your PC/OS

- there are some risky download sites around ... eg, CNet, ... that include adware with a download.

- live installs can also be dangerous territory ... but not all.

- join an active OS forum

eg, http://www.sevenforums.com/, ... and/or ... http://www.eightforums.com/ .. they have heaps of tutorials and clever contributors.

AVOID installing any program using "Normal/default" install instructions ... "recommended" is an early warning clue (but not always)

Custom install might give an option to not install adware, but some sneaks will not reveal there hidden crud-ware.

Vigilance is the key.

If you need any more help come back here or try the OS forums I have suggested above.

Hope this helps :)

• Agreed ... there is NO single program that can-do-it-all.

Bitdefender did not let you down, because it is not intended to find malware nor adware/sneakware that you are tricked into installing.

There is currently a hole in IE ...

... and more info ...

Thankfully you did the right thing by running Malwarebytes when you suspected something suspicious.

Unfortunately very few people bother to make themselves even basically IT literate.

If you own a car, you know where to put gas/petrol in ... and the radiator need water/coolant ... and you know what a flat tyre looks like

But we dont blame the motor mechanic if we run out of fuel or the radiator is damaged and runs dry or we get a punctured tyre.

We have to take responsibility ourselves at some point.

My wife would never backup in spite of my showing her how, her PC hard drive crashed and she lost EVERYTHING. A hard lesson.

Virus and malware crooks are always looking for holes to sneak their "mess" into our PCs.

Bitdefender update the virus list every 2 hours, and they can only know about a virus if people report them.

I run ALL my downloads through VirusTotal ... before installing ANYTHING.

Then I check the downloaded file with Bitdefender AND Malawarebytes before attempting to install anything.

- Occasionally I get false-positives ... (reported as a risk when the download is not a risk)

- if you are not sure what to accept ... google the name of the "risk" and see what other people have got to say.

- sometimes you will get lucky and find a hit on a Bitdefender thread

- VirusTotal, Bitdefender and Malwarebytes are tools in your arsenal to protect your PC/OS

- there are some risky download sites around ... eg, CNet, ... that include adware with a download.

- live installs can also be dangerous territory ... but not all.

- join an active OS forum

eg, http://www.sevenforums.com/, ... and/or ... http://www.eightforums.com/ .. they have heaps of tutorials and clever contributors.

AVOID installing any program using "Normal/default" install instructions ... "recommended" is an early warning clue (but not always)

Custom install might give an option to not install adware, but some sneaks will not reveal there hidden crud-ware.

Vigilance is the key.

If you need any more help come back here or try the OS forums I have suggested above.

Hope this helps :)

YES i understand all that has been advised: but as you have said most ussers do not understand that running on demand scanners is nessasary, I run malwarebytes at least once a week IN SAFE MODE and rearly encounter any problems but try explaining this to the average usser who has paid on recomondation for a well known product such as bitdefender.

i have tried most of the top products and have settled on BD as it is the least process hungry product i have found and easy to use.

What disterbed me the most in this particular case was that :one of the unwanted programs would not let me download malwarebytes. I would not class this as a harmless unwanted program and was not about to issolate which PUP was causing this out of a possible 945 infections.

regarding most ussers i dont Know the answer either exept education when recomending security software, i have even placeing the malwarebytes icon the desktop renamed "RUN ME ONCE A MONTH" and they still don`t use it What can you do?.

Thanks for your QUICK response on this instance. off now to sort my daughters machine who has the same problem trouble is she has reinstalled windows to get round the problem before asking me(same symptoms) but she panicked.

• Malwarebytes is not designed to run in safemode.

PUP's are not a virus, they are bundled software /toolbars etc. that get added by the user when they download a program , and do not read the EULA, or installation pages before clicking "yes"/ "Install" or " OK " .

More and more apps/programs are coming bundled with "extras" and users really do need to check and double check what they are agreeing to install.

Even well known antivirus programs are coming laden with extra apps, tools and add-ons.

I allways run in SAFE mode WHAT if you can`t accsess the internet due to a virus I have had this loads of times due the viruse being installed as a service during BOOT up.

• I allways run in SAFE mode WHAT if you can`t accsess the internet due to a virus I have had this loads of times due the viruse being installed as a service during BOOT up.

https://helpdesk.malwarebytes.org/entries/2...e-in-Safe-Mode-

Unless otherwise directed always run Malwarebytes Anti-Malware in normal mode. Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is not designed to find all infections when in safe mode. Safe mode will not always load all infection components.

With respect, if you are running Malwarebytes and a good antivirus system and getting infected "loads of times" you are doing something very wrong.

My machines are on all day long, and I have had no virus/malware infection of any kind.

I would suggest that you consider installing Cryptoprevent, or indeed Bitdefenders own Crypto prevention software as these prevent many types of malware installing.

The other thing you should definitely have installed is Microsoft Emet.

There are also several browser level prevention apps that stop malware entering your system, or altering browse settings.

• https://helpdesk.malwarebytes.org/entries/2...e-in-Safe-Mode-

Unless otherwise directed always run Malwarebytes Anti-Malware in normal mode. Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is not designed to find all infections when in safe mode. Safe mode will not always load all infection components.

With respect, if you are running Malwarebytes and a good antivirus system and getting infected "loads of times" you are doing something very wrong.

My machines are on all day long, and I have had no virus/malware infection of any kind.

I would suggest that you consider installing Cryptoprevent, or indeed Bitdefenders own Crypto prevention software as these prevent many types of malware installing.

The other thing you should definitely have installed is Microsoft Emet.

There are also several browser level prevention apps that stop malware entering your system, or altering browse settings.

if you read the malware advice at the above link it does say if all else fails try to run in safe mode which i do anyway and its never failed me. iv`e had lots of occasions were internet the is blocked or will not allow downloads of online scanners. i have always overcome this by installing malwarebytes in safe mode then scanning i am going on my own experience with my machines and a host load of others i repair for other people.

p.s. my machines do not get infected loads of times i am talking about repairs i have encountered with friends and family who do not have strong IT knowledge or are that interested in installing a multitude of software Tools. to maintain there machines as the likes of me and you do.as you Know they never tell the truth about what sites they visit or they can not remember the sequence of events that lead up to the infection.

Thanks for this interesting debate and i will investigate Emet

best regards TOPPER.

• I allways run in SAFE mode WHAT if you can`t accsess the internet due to a virus I have had this loads of times due the viruse being installed as a service during BOOT up.

Malwarebytes on a stick ...

http://www.malwarebytes.org/techbench/

http://static-cdn.malwarebytes.org/assets/...roductSheet.pdf

• Hi toppergraph :)

As a techie.. No AV can protect people against their own carelessness (stupidity)

Over the years I have not been loyal to any AV (Nor will I ever be).

Some AVs go through cycles of reliability.

AV track record, response times and AV-Comparitives Reports are my guide every year to the AV I chose.

AV-Compartives are non commercial, university based testers.

This is my second year with BIS based on their capturing all 3 threats in the last 2 years, with no successful invasions of my 4 rigs and two laptops. First time since 1995.

I allways run in SAFE mode WHAT if you can`t accsess the internet due to a virus I have had this loads of times due the viruse being installed as a service during BOOT up.

Regards

the-bald-one :)

• Hi toppergraph :)

As a techie.. No AV can protect people against their own carelessness (stupidity)

Over the years I have not been loyal to any AV (Nor will I ever be).

Some AVs go through cycles of reliability.

AV track record, response times and AV-Comparitives Reports are my guide every year to the AV I chose.

AV-Compartives are non commercial, university based testers.

This is my second year with BIS based on their capturing all 3 threats in the last 2 years, with no successful invasions of my 4 rigs and two laptops. First time since 1995.

Regards

the-bald-one :)

Once again i agree entirely my second year with BD also. next year i may try malwarebytes full blown just for a change as you have said they seem to rotate in quality and processor needs. i always have some kind of on demand scanner in my software tools disks sets including BD rescue cd.i shall include the stick meatod you have sugested.

thanks again TOPPER.

• Once again i agree entirely my second year with BD also. next year i may try malwarebytes full blown just for a change as you have said they seem to rotate in quality and processor needs. i always have some kind of on demand scanner in my software tools disks sets including BD rescue cd.i shall include the stick meatod you have sugested.

thanks again TOPPER.

still invetigating MBAM techbench stick, its looks to be too expensive even for my needs.

• grayghost2
    edited May 2014

toppergraph :)

Malwarebytes is not an antivirus

- but it is designed to work with some AVs including Bitdefender

Bitdefender is not anti-malware

See Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Premium web page,

post-130814-1399954948_thumb.png

I have sent you a PM :)

• toppergraph :)

Malwarebytes is not an antivirus

- but it is designed to work with some AVs including Bitdefender

Bitdefender is not anti-malware

See Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Premium web page,

post-130814-1399954948_thumb.png

I have sent you a PM :)

yes it works great tested on my machine and a laptop i have just finished repairing.

it found 118 PUP`s on my machine which were picked up when trying to download from the site above( was clean before).

anyway its working fine and i shall add to my software toolkit.

still awaiting feedback from MB on the techbench stick.

Thanks again TOPPER>

• grayghost2
    edited May 2014

Hi Topper,

Which download "above" was that.

Glad you got it sorted. :D

• Hi Topper,

Which download "above" was that.

Glad you got it sorted. :D

sorry was the one in the PM.

This discussion has been closed.