Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Need Input - Bd Av2015 Crashing On Scan Of 2ndary Drive

Options
Enk
Enk
edited September 2014 in General

Hey all.

I've contacted the BD people and obtained a ticket, but it'd be really great if anyone else experienced this sort of problem ( - [edit] you know what i mean :P). I'm actually scanning a folder on a 3 TB drive (WD30EFRX - one of the red ones) that contains about 1.5Tb of miscellaneous data (think multiple backups of windows /users/ folders...).

On a new w8.1-64 system, it simply cannot finish the scan without crashing (win logs indicate vsserv.exe and scan.dll problems). Happens regardless of whether it's in usb caddy or directly attached.

Just tried it on a w7-64 system and 'the service encountered an error - restart it' etc. Very odd. No other av products, hdd itself tests ok, memory is ok.

There's very little the same between these two systems except that

1) both are gigabyte motherboards (old Z68X and new - though chea.p - H81M).

2) the 3TB drive itself.

3) both systems are 64-bit windows flavours

Is it possible for something like an antivirus to 'dislike' one of WD's red nas hdds? I don't see people complaining about crashing here on the boards, so i already know this sort of thing isn't common...

Any input or ideas would be welcome.

Comments

• Hey all.

I've contacted the BD people and obtained a ticket, but it'd be really great if anyone else experienced this sort of problem ( - [edit] you know what i mean :P). I'm actually scanning a folder on a 3 TB drive (WD30EFRX - one of the red ones) that contains about 1.5Tb of miscellaneous data (think multiple backups of windows /users/ folders...).

On a new w8.1-64 system, it simply cannot finish the scan without crashing (win logs indicate vsserv.exe and scan.dll problems). Happens regardless of whether it's in usb caddy or directly attached.

Just tried it on a w7-64 system and 'the service encountered an error - restart it' etc. Very odd. No other av products, hdd itself tests ok, memory is ok.

There's very little the same between these two systems except that

1) both are gigabyte motherboards (old Z68X and new - though chea.p - H81M).

2) the 3TB drive itself.

3) both systems are 64-bit windows flavours

Is it possible for something like an antivirus to 'dislike' one of WD's red nas hdds? I don't see people complaining about crashing here on the boards, so i already know this sort of thing isn't common...

Any input or ideas would be welcome.

Well i deleted a bunch of the oldest backup subfolders and i can finally scan without a crash (total size still much greater than 1Tb). I can only presume that there was some sort of corrupt file/folder that BD disliked - i use the drive as a repository for data recovery from hard drives that are going bad or are too infected to clean up, etc. The drive itself and it's partition/file structures were not corrupt though.

Now all i need to work out is how to communicate this to the support people, and show them a comparison with Gdata which does NOT crash in such circumstances, though Bitdefender found viruses that Gdata did not - the very reason i bought it in the first place.

• 3TB is a lot to scan. By the way, how much memory do you currently have installed? I know vsserv.exe uses a lot of it. But I'm not too sure if that's the one that caused it. 1.gif

• 3TB is a lot to scan. By the way, how much memory do you currently have installed? I know vsserv.exe uses a lot of it. But I'm not too sure if that's the one that caused it. 1.gif

4Gb on w8 machine, 8Gb on w7. Thanks for the suggestion - i'll increase that if it occurs again (haven't retested on w8 machine yet, will do this w/end).