Bitdefender 2015 Free Vs Avast 2015 Free

thekochs
edited November 2014 in General

Just doing some research........was a LONG time AVG user many years ago when it was good, and have been Avast FREE user for many years since.

I'm trying to assess if there is better option than Avast and typically there is people whom have made the change.

Any feedback on those that have changed and wish to comment ?

I do notice Bitdefender is starting to put a lot of "extras" in their packages and wonder how much you can "opt out" at install.

I'm looking for good A/V protection that minimized impact to my family home PCs (W7 64 bit DELL i5 laptops),

I don't need/want the extra tools and prefer not to even have them installed (even if dormant) on my PCs.

Thx in advance.

Comments

• Hello thekochs,

I assume you are asking about Bitdefender free, there are no extras at all in that version as can be seen from the BD Free page.

If you are considering one of the paid versions, Antivirus Plus, Internet Security or Total Security, then yes there are extras but you can't "op out" of parts during installation although you can disable them after install if you don't want to use them, although they will stay installed.

Ro.

• Hello thekochs,

I assume you are asking about Bitdefender free, there are no extras at all in that version as can be seen from the BD Free page.

If you are considering one of the paid versions, Antivirus Plus, Internet Security or Total Security, then yes there are extras but you can't "op out" of parts during installation although you can disable them after install if you don't want to use them, although they will stay installed.

Ro.

Yes, the FREE.....thx for the post.

I looked at the page you linked.....does it have email scanner/plugin for Outlook ?

Also, I have MalwareBytes Pro as supplement to Avast FREE......they work fine together.

Does Bitdefender work OK with MBAM Pro ?

• .....does it have email scanner/plugin for Outlook ?

Also, I have MalwareBytes Pro as supplement to Avast FREE......they work fine together.

Does Bitdefender work OK with MBAM Pro ?

There is no specific email scanner (you need the paid versions for that), although anything that comes onto your computer is immediately detected and isolated or deleted.

Bitdefender works fine with MBAM Pro (although as with any security programs running two active scans at the same time it is not recommended by Bitdefender as there is always the possibility of conflict), many of the members here do use them problem free.

• There is no specific email scanner (you need the paid versions for that), although anything that comes onto your computer is immediately detected and isolated or deleted.

Pardon my dumb question but without an email scanner how does BD detect/quarantine a virus within an email ?

Are you saying in FREE version this only happens if I open email ? .....and/or try to save or execute the attachment ?

I did not see anything mentioned in the paid versions spelling out email scanner so thus my confusion....perhaps I missed it.

• Pardon my dumb question but without an email scanner how does BD detect/quarantine a virus within an email ?

Are you saying in FREE version this only happens if I open email ? .....and/or try to save or execute the attachment ?

I did not see anything mentioned in the paid versions spelling out email scanner so thus my confusion....perhaps I missed it.

All Bitdefender versions scan everything coming onto your computer, and that includes your email client. My reference to the specific scanner in the paid versions was for the anti-spam modules, sorry for the confusion.

• I've heard on other A/V Forums that the technology for A/V in the BD FREE is different in the paid.

In other words others claim the results of the A/V tests for BD do not include the FREE and its ability is not as good as paid.

Wanted to check to see if that is true ?