Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Bdis Suddenly Stopped Working For A Critical Error

kelotan
edited February 2015 in General

I was a long time user of Norton Internet Security, but it was about time for subscription renewal, and I wanted to try something different. After an extensive research, I chose Bitdefender because it was highly rated by many famous review sites. After purchase & installation, BDIS 2015 has been working mostly fine for two months, except for slow web browsing.

When I woke up this morning and booted my PC, I suddenly received the dialog Bitdefender Report Wizard: Bitdefender Security Service has encountered a critical error!

I clicked the Submit button and closed the dialog. But right after that the same dialog reappeared. I repeated the same operation four times but the dialog kept reappearing. During all this, BDIS icon on the task bar was grayed out saying it's not active. I tried rebooting Windows several times but exactly the same symptom was reproduced.

Because I'm always very busy in the morning with a lot of jobs to do, I didn't have time to go through lengthy process of BD tech support which usually takes a day or two to get a response. I needed to solve the issue and start my job on the PC as soon as possible.

So I decided to try uninstalling/reinstalling BDIS. I downloaded the uninstallation tool from Bitdefender site and initiated the uninstallation. When the lengthy process finally completed (it took more than 10 minutes to uninstall) my PC somehow lost the internet connection. I rebooted Windows for just in case, but it still failed to connect to the internet. And after a few minutes, I got BSOD.

At this stage, I determined BDIS is too unreliable and not worth any further attempt of troubleshooting. So I immediately went to Symantec's web site, purchased the latest version of Norton Security and installed it. Needless to say, it's working just fine. Ironically enough, after removing BDIS, web browsing is noticeably faster.

I've tried variety of security products in the past, but every one of them kept working flawlessly. BDIS is the first security product which actually stopped working with a critical error. I cannot count on such an unreliable product to protect my system. Therefore, though I still have 10 months of subscription remaining, I will never install BDIS again.

I will appreciate if Bitdefender considers full refund because the product stopped working as advertised only in two months.

post-188574-1423720290_thumb.png

Comments

• spikeles
    edited February 2015

I'm having the exact same error here, I have a feeling it was a windows update that did it but I'm not sure.

See also: http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=228108

• I'm having the exact same error here, I have a feeling it was a windows update that did it but I'm not sure.

See also: http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=228108

Thanks for letting me know that. :)

So it seems that many Win 7 64bit users are suffering from the same issue as mine. My PC is running exactly that OS.

Considering the circumstances, BDIS might be corrupted somehow by the Patch Tuesday distributed by Microsoft. But that doesn't restore my trust in BDIS.

The important fact for me is that BDIS can stop working anytime for any reason, and I can be unaware of the absence of security. If my PC is silently compromised by unseen attacker and spread infections to business partners, its total disaster for my business reputation.

• jitzy
    jitzy ✭✭
    edited February 2015
    Thanks for letting me know that. :)

So it seems that many Win 7 64bit users are suffering from the same issue as mine. My PC is running exactly that OS.

Considering the circumstances, BDIS might be corrupted somehow by the Patch Tuesday distributed by Microsoft. But that doesn't restore my trust in BDIS.

The important fact for me is that BDIS can stop working anytime for any reason, and I can be unaware of the absence of security. If my PC is silently compromised by unseen attacker and spread infections to business partners, its total disaster for my business reputation.

same here....dnt know if its win update or BD update (18.21.0.1497).......both of em came at the right time......

Guess all running Win 7 64 has the same problem

• pljw01
    edited February 2015

Hi everyone.

I have the same issues since 11 February.

I have uninstalled Malwarebytes, reinstalled BitDefender. All good till bitdefender updated.

Reinstalled BitDefender Total Security 2015 (BDTS2015) again, disabled updates. All good for 1 hour.

Re activated updates, crash.

Un installed all windows updates from 11 February reinstalled BDTS2015 all good. Updated BDTS2015. Crash after restart.

Fault lies with in BDTS2015 updates not Windows or other programme.

Hope this helps everyone and hopefully BD will fix the issue. :o

Note this is 5 hours of testing to get to this result. Wife has not complained yet thank goodness. :wacko:

• Hi everyone.

I have the same issues since 11 February.

I have uninstalled Malwarebytes, reinstalled BitDefender. All good till bitdefender updated.

Reinstalled BitDefender Total Security 2015 (BDTS2015) again, disabled updates. All good for 1 hour.

Re activated updates, crash.

Un installed all windows updates from 11 February reinstalled BDTS2015 all good. Updated BDTS2015. Crash after restart.

Fault lies with in BDTS2015 updates not Windows or other programme.

Hope this helps everyone and hopefully BD will fix the issue. :o

Note this is 5 hours of testing to get to this result. Wife has not complained yet thank goodness. :wacko:

It has nothing to do with Win updates.....I got the same error before win updates were downloaded and installed.....Its the problem with the new BD update conflicting on Win 7 64 bit users

• There has just been an update (no change to the build and not virus definitions - see attached) which required a restart so may be a fix. Try running this update to check.

post-175392-1423751784_thumb.jpg

• There was a patch that came through, I didn't see anything(dlls or exes) like you listed in the screenshot, and no restart required yet, but it seems to be behaving itself and not crashing for the moment.

• jitzy
    jitzy ✭✭
    edited February 2015

Hey RO ur right ......yes I got tht update.....seems like it fixed the issue...I didnt get ay errors on restart and nothing yet......fingers crossed

If it was a fix for the on-going issue then Id say BD took a leap forward in fixing problems asap ...lol

post-39962-1423754223_thumb.png

• All good now.

To repair BDTS2015 if it wont run do the following for Windows 7.

Start computer and after it is running go to start menu and in search box type "services"

click on usually the top item in list called services.

Search the list of services and find the 3 labeled BitDefender (hopefully you can see the attached image)

The middle one will possibly already be running if not click on it and in top left corner of services it will come up and say Start the service

if not right click on line and chose start from the list that shows up.

do the same for the other 2 services starting with the bottom one first.

Exit services and then run BDTS2015 and hit the update button.

BDTS2015 should start to download updates.

after the update is finished restart computer even if it doesn't prompt you to do so.

After restart check BDTS2015 by clicking on the little man in top right corner and in list pick events. change the event to look at to update and then

you should see the update in the list.

Click on the log for the update and you should see the line with the word "PATCH" in it.

BDTS2015 should now be working ok for you.

Big cheers and well done to BD for fixing the issue quickly. :D

post-188609-1423775077_thumb.png

post-188609-1423775455_thumb.png

post-188609-1423775470_thumb.png

• Before any updates I didn't have any error issues others reported so it really is PC dependent on how things react, im glad to see Bit jumped on the problem.

• So in summary,

• Bitdefender was rendered nonfunctional by its own update on Windows 7 64bit systems.
    • It took almost two days for the company to release the fix.
    • Users who were affected by the bug were left unprotected for two days.
    • No official statement or announcement was made throughout this event.

I learned an important lesson; I should have taken the ratings on those review sites with a grain of salt.

Majority of them are comparisons like "product A detected 100% of testing virus while product B remained 98%" or "Product A finished scan in 10 minutes while product B took 15 minutes to complete."

They never take factors into account like "though product A's detection rate is top notch, it's buggy and stops working from time to time" or "the vendor often neglects its users with insufficient communication" or "the vendor has a questionable business practice by renewing subscription without user's clear consent."

I already uninstalled Bitdefender and disabled Bitdefender's infamous auto renewal option, so I hope I will never be involved with this product again in the future.

• spikeles
    edited February 2015

Yeah working here now.

You can't really state Bitdefender is any worse than others with pushing out bad updates. Kaspersky put out an update at one point that bricked computers because it quarantined windows system files ( http://news.cnet.com/Kaspersky-inadvertent..._3-6223836.html ) and even Norton has had it's share of dodgy updates ( http://news.softpedia.com/news/Norton-Upda...XP-458069.shtml ).

The test of an anti-virus company is really how rare screw ups are and how quickly it fixes them. In this case, their communication was pretty shody (many companies are guilty of this though ), but it seems to have been fixed in the end ( I only experienced issues for about 5 hours).

I've only just come to BitDefender on the recommendation of many internet sites having come from Microsoft Security Essentials and I'm not impressed so far (obviously nobody at bitdefender has heard of tooltips!), but this incident, though annoying, isn't an unforgivable sin (though their auto-renewal system/scam I have read about might be)

• But they surely did fixed the issue asap as per Bitdefender Standards.....Im glad for it :D

nd yes I dnt blame them for pushing a bad update...It can happen but whats imp is how quickly they can fix the issue.....Though Im very pi$$ed on how Georgia/Christian didnt bother giving a comment about it ...If they were working on a fix or how this prob is related to some win 7 64 users nly