[fixed] Vsserv.exe High Memory Usage

Since today update (or yesterday) I can see Bitdefender total security 2015 vsserv.exe uses higher RAM and disk usage and system slow down issue. Yesterday, I restore the Windows (after blue screen issue). Then I uninstalled bitdefender total security 2015 using Bitdefender uninstall tool and install it again.

When I'm posting this thread it used 208MB RAM (out of 3.70GB usable). Earlier I never see a such a issue. Also Windows display low memory usage warnings too.

I followed this official guide, but nothing changed. I have Asus X550L laptop and Windows 8.1 (64bit).

How do I fix this issue.

Comments

• Since today update (or yesterday) I can see Bitdefender total security 2015 vsserv.exe uses higher RAM and disk usage and system slow down issue. Yesterday, I restore the Windows (after blue screen issue). Then I uninstalled bitdefender total security 2015 using Bitdefender uninstall tool and install it again.

When I'm posting this thread it used 208MB RAM (out of 3.70GB usable). Earlier I never see a such a issue. Also Windows display low memory usage warnings too.

I followed this official guide, but nothing changed. I have Asus X550L laptop and Windows 8.1 (64bit).

How do I fix this issue.

Only 208MB RAM. BDIS 2015 vsserv.exe is now using 359MB RAM and zero CPU on my W7-SP1 computer. BD W8 Security vsserv.exe on my W8.1 computer is using 75MB of RAM while I am browsing. I don't use the W7 computer for much of anything so the high RAM usage is not really a factor in my case.

• Yesterday, I restore the Windows (after blue screen issue).

Hi cbu,

It's true vsserv.exe uses a big chunk of memory, but it's nothing new on my old Windows XP SP3.

Are you sure the blue screen issue is due to BD 2015?

system to check

My old WinXP SP3 does not have real memory problems (with BD IS 2014, to say the truth, but the chunk of memory involved is the same, or higher!) so what happened on yours?. Is the management of the memory really different? or another health issue?, BD never gave me a blue screen, whatever its defects.

windows memory problems

Did you install anything else since yesterday?

Are you sure (one of ) your memory sticks is/are not corrupted? the problem is maybe there!

check memory sticks

Regards,

L

• Hello.

I want try Bitdefender because I've heard is good and light and has no impact on performance.

But this is not true, PC boot time is now longer than ever was. It use high ammount of ram, especialy process vsserv.exe sometimes use over 300Mb when is IDLE !

So I want ask you, is there any fix for it ? Because I don't really like that this software eat 300Mb in idle. Before I've been using Kaspersky 2015 and it never goes over 100Mb while scanning when idle was around 40-50Mb

Pardon my English.

PC Spec:

Win 8.1 Pro

8Gb Ram

Cpu FX 8320@ 3,5

• Hello.

I want try Bitdefender because I've heard is good and light and has no impact on performance.

But this is not true, PC boot time is now longer than ever was. It use high ammount of ram, especialy process vsserv.exe sometimes use over 300Mb when is IDLE !

So I want ask you, is there any fix for it ? Because I don't really like that this software eat 300Mb in idle. Before I've been using Kaspersky 2015 and it never goes over 100Mb while scanning when idle was around 40-50Mb

Pardon my English.

PC Spec:

Win 8.1 Pro

8Gb Ram

Cpu FX 8320@ 3,5

Maybe you got an malware inside your PC while using Kaspersky.If kaspersky could not deal that malware how you can expect BD to get rid of that while he was installed after that malware messed up your PC.I recommend you to scann your pc offline from bitdefender rescue disk (burn that cd or dvd from a clean computer) but not from built in rescue mode.If a malware was present before install BD, BD can be corrupted as well.There are many viruses that target AV files and vsserv.exe is one of most targeted files.

• My system Is clean. I don't pirate things, I don't download things I don't need or I don't know. I have my fav websites, I don't click links like a dumbass I am almost 40 years old man who knows what he is doing so please do not tell that fault is on my site. Because is not. I did research about vsserv.exe and seems like this is old problem never fixed.

• jitzy
    jitzy ✭✭
    My system Is clean. I don't pirate things, I don't download things I don't need or I don't know. I have my fav websites, I don't click links like a dumbass I am almost 40 years old man who knows what he is doing so please do not tell that fault is on my site. Because is not. I did research about vsserv.exe and seems like this is old problem never fixed.

Increase in BOOT TIME is part of an extra protection from Bitdefender.......anyway u can get rid of this by going to Bitdefender Dashboard---->Protection----> Antivirus settings--->Custom (under On-Access Scanning)---->Miscellaneous---->uncheck "Early Boot Scan"

Yes from then on ur On-Access Scanning wll be set to Custom......

And for the High Ram Usage ....well on my PC it goes around 160 mb to 220 mb on idle...didnt go above......IDK much abt it if it has anything to do with the diff hardwares of pc

and now a days 300mb is not something to be bothered aout....just saying........It is high but tbh being a BD user for years I say this BD product is very light and it doesnt mess up with my pc by slowing down......atleast I didnt notice any system slowdown from my end....apart from the ram being on 200 in ur case around 300mbs BD still is a light product......

• Hlxx
    edited March 2015

This is abnormal for me... If I want play games, how do I fully turn off BD ? Because game mode still use huge ammount of ram.

QgjG00n.png

• jitzy
    jitzy ✭✭
    edited March 2015

341MB is a bit on high side....idk why its that high for u.....usually it should stick around 200-230 MB (still high for todays AV alternatives)........well u can run a repair by going to Control Panel--->Programs & Features---->Bitdefender Total Security(assuming)--->Right Click and click Uninstall---> in the interface that appear click on Repair......

here's mine on idle ----> post-39962-1425235947_thumb.png

MY PC WIN 7 64Bit Intel Core i5 3.1GHz 6GB ram running BDIS 2015 64Bit

If u want to stop BD service while gaming ( Which I dnt recommend) goto BD dashboard--->Protection--->Antivirus settings-----> uncheck On-Access Scanning & Active Virus Control---->Also goto Intrusion Detection settings under Protection tab and uncheck that also......unfortunately there's no easy way sorry

• jitzy
    jitzy ✭✭

Adding to the above post.... The 2014 BD products after being updated to a new patch raised concerns on high ram usage to hover around 200 MB ( before the new patch it was around 35-40 mb) and Georgia ( BD Techinical Support) came with a conclusion----> post-39962-1425238384_thumb.png although not so convincing but......may be thats the reason.....

• Thank you jithin for your time and all tips you gave me. It is very strange that support don't see problem with it, sometimes I have left 35% of ram because of BD and when I want play some hungry for ram games, problem is bigger, lag and others issues I've never had before.. I think I'll back to KiS 2015

• Nesivos
    Nesivos
    edited March 2015
    Thank you jithin for your time and all tips you gave me. It is very strange that support don't see problem with it, sometimes I have left 35% of ram because of BD and when I want play some hungry for ram games, problem is bigger, lag and others issues I've never had before.. I think I'll back to KiS 2015

You are using W8.1. I suggest you consider switching to BDW8 Security. I used it on my W8.X computers for two years. Now running W10 TP 9926. In anycase with both W8.X and W10 TP 9926 vsserv.exe in BDW8 Security uses 50MB or less when idle and only scans when the computer is idle unless I run a manual scan which I rarely ever run. I also using BTIS 2015 on a W7-SP1 and have a similar high memory usage indication.

If you are not familar with BDW8 Security you might want to go the BD website and check it out. It is specifically designed to take advantage of built in W8.X security features. Don't let the fact that BDW8 Security has not been updated in quite a while scare you into thinking it is not being supported. It works great so why fix what isn't broken.

• I'd like to hear a word from support. Is this some bug with memory leak or this is the heaviest AV software ever made.

• Hi, Hlxx

As jithin alluded to in his post# 7, was the official response of BD FAD (functions as designed) in a 2014 thread: http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=217092. So chances are you will not receive a response from Tech support here, regarding this issue. They did in that thread, collect some log files (post# 8), then came up with the conclusion mentioned above.

With BD 2015 AV+ on a windows 8.1 notebook, 8GB Ram and ~2.1Ghz intel cpu, I’m seeing 191,500K for vsserv.exe in idle mode. Are there other AVs that use 1/2 the memory and even less than BD, with the same tier level of real time protection as BD, yes, as I've tried 2 others in the last couple of months, including the one you mentioned in a couple of your posts.

As far as performance, BD is a very good performer in regards to opening/copying files, opening Documents/Dropbox/Pictures etc etc., especially on subsequent opening. Web surfing is also pretty fast considering they're being scanned by one of the better (if not the best) antiphishing filters out there. Now as far as system resource impact (performance), in this case concerning memory, is another issue for some, and not so much for others (maybe PC configuration, installed software and background running processes?)

It sounds like your running a trial version, maybe take Nesivos above advice, and try the BD Windows 8 Security, and see if that runs leaner as he's found?

• Hlxx
    edited March 2015

Hi Columbo.

Thank you for clearing this out. Actually is not a trial, I've got 9 months subscription so I unistalled product I mention above. There is still 4 months left. BD promo was use it or lose it, so I did use licence code, Wonder if this code will work with BD Windows 8 Security.

• Hiya Hlxx,

If you have a code for Bitdefender Internet Security you can use it to activate BD Windows 8 Security. I had a quick scan through your posts and couldn't see which version you are using. (BD AV+ or BD TS license codes won't work).

Ro.

• Hi Columbo.

Thank you for clearing this out. Actually is not a trial, I've got 9 months subscription so I unistalled product I mention above. There is still 4 months left. BD promo was use it or lose it, so I did use licence code, Wonder if this code will work with BD Windows 8 Security.

You're welcome, Hlxx :) I probably read to much into your first post when you mentioned you wanted to try BD...so in that case, Rohugh is right. If you are currently running and have the license for BD Internet Security, you can use that same license key for the BD Windows 8 Security, as those have pretty much the same modules and tools. (it has to be like kind, for like kind, for the keys to work that way)

BD Windows 8 Security is a bit more $$ than the BD Internet Security, so be aware of that come renewal time (the standard products many times have discount deals). Also, it is supported (sold) and maintained, but on a slightly lesser scale, as you won't find it in the Full Offline Installer Pinned topic, and it rarely receives Tech support help on that Sub forum, except for member Nesivos kind help: http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=54672

Download the BD Windows 8 Security: http://www.bitdefender.com/solutions/windows-8-security.html

To uninstall BD IS: http://www.bitdefender.com/support/how-to-...-2015-1323.html

Then run the uninstall tool: http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=227799

Then install BD W8 Security.

• Thx guys for your time.

@Ro I use BD TS so as you said I can't change product. Anyway I check all my backround running apps, and I decided to turn off some of them. I free over 150Mb ram. So now is balanced.

Pardon my English.

• Good idea in disabling some of the apps, and freeing up more memory (and less for the vsserv.exe to background scan). Thanks for keeping such good track of your thread, and the back and forth dialogue...and by the way, your English is excellent, no problems in understanding what you meant or were looking for :)

• My system Is clean. I don't pirate things, I don't download things I don't need or I don't know. I have my fav websites, I don't click links like a dumbass I am almost 40 years old man who knows what he is doing so please do not tell that fault is on my site. Because is not. I did research about vsserv.exe and seems like this is old problem never fixed.

To catch an exploit it's enough to click on a bad link (you don't have to be a dumbass to click on a bad link).A new exploit can knock out even the mother of all AV's.An exploit uses holes inside the operating system and can't be stoped because any microsoft signed component is allowed by any AV ...I would advise you to use a strong HIPS solution alongside BD and have a look on IDS logs (Intrusion Detection System) to see if something bad happened before your problem occurred .If you are not on a home network would be better to turn public location on bd firewall and from windows setting too.Change default admin account name and password and use a standard user account for daily use..Last but not least you should consider an IPS solution because this days pc security goes on the prevention strategy and not so much on disinfection.Another issue can be the fact you had kaspersky installed.Making a little fun, BD after kaspersky it's like you drink wine after beer :blink:

• boot times are not as bad for me, at least on 1 laptop, about 1:15, about the same as avast. am running bis or bts on 2 laptops and 1 desktop. 2 consistently have 200 mb vsserve.exe in processes, and one laptop w/ windows 7, 32 bit handles this problem the best at around 80 mb. only firefox uses more.........my only gripe with bitdefender...

• Just thought I would update my latest on vsserv.exe memory usage

BDIS 2015 on W7-SP1 with no apps open 348 MB memory being used :(

BDW8 Security on W8.1 with Firefox open with 13 tabs 15 - 40 MB memory being used. :)

Can someone post what apps they have open and what the memory usage they are showing for BDIS 2015 or BDTS 2015 vsserv.exe on a W8.1 computer? Thanks

• Hi,

Why is the memory load always high?

I am using win 8.1 with 4gb RAM and the memory always stays around 400BM even when i am not doing anything on the PC

Is there a memory issue with your product?

• Lionet
    edited June 2015
    Hi,

Why is the memory load always high?

I am using win 8.1 with 4gb RAM and the memory always stays around 400BM even when i am not doing anything on the PC

Is there a memory issue with your product?

Hi,

welcome on the forum!

Vsserv, BD's backbone grabs lots of memory, true, but the file is necessary... B)

You could send a message to Georgia.

She answered someone with a same problem there:

memory consumption

You could check how to improve your machine there:

microsoft low memory answers

Please give more information on your system (input them in your signature just not to have repeat them everytime). I was expecting more than 4Gb for a machine with W8.1...)

Regards,

L.

• Hi,

welcome on the forum!

Vsserv, BD's backbone grabs lots of memory, true, but the file is necessary... B)

You could send a message to Georgia.

She answered someone with a same problem there:

memory consumption

You could check how to improve your machine there:

microsoft low memory answers

Please give more information on your system (input them in your signature just not to have repeat them everytime). I was expecting more than 4Gb for a machine with W8.1...)

Regards,

L.

so how much RAM is expected? what is the requirement to run bitdefender?

• santamoroz
    edited June 2015

I confirm, after the last update has increased the use of memory. It is now 386MB, and is constantly growing.

7410532.png

• so how much RAM is expected? what is the requirement to run bitdefender?

Hi,

the requirement is there:

BD requirement

Regards,

L.

• I confirm, after the last update has increased the use of memory. It is now 386MB, and is constantly growing.

7410532.png

Hi,

There is already a topic:

BD memory

if it could help...

BD is a powerful swiss knife shaped software but it takes memory...

regards,

L.

• I myself am having memory usage problems, and have been trawling the forum for solutions.

I am using a Lenovo Y510P Ideapad laptop with Intel i7 8 core CPU with 8 GB RAM, am using no other antivirus software, and licensed Bitdefender Antivirus Plus 2015 (specifically the vsserve) is taking 1,700 MB of memory.

post-191881-1435655053_thumb.png

• Nesivos
    Nesivos
    edited June 2015
    I myself am having memory usage problems, and have been trawling the forum for solutions.

I am using a Lenovo Y510P Ideapad laptop with Intel i7 8 core CPU with 8 GB RAM, am using no other antivirus software, and licensed Bitdefender Antivirus Plus 2015 (specifically the vsserve) is taking 1,700 MB of memory.

BD 2015 products do use a lot memory but the amount you are showing is way above board.

Is there more than one file listed under Bitdefender Security Service? I am showing four BD files using memory on one of my W7-SP1 computers with vsserve.exe using about 337MB and the other three using maybe a total of 40MB for a total memory usage of about 380MB for all BDIS 2015 files on one of my W7-SP1 computer that is just sitting there. Could you list the memory usage for each BD file in memory. Thanks

By comparison there are three BDW8 Security files active in memory (BDW8 Security does not have Wallet) using a total of 40MB of memory on this Windows 8.1 computer I am using to type this post. That is about 90% less memory usage for BDW8 Security on my W8.1 than what I am showing for BDIS 2015 on one of W7-SP1 computer. The BDW8 Security and BDIS memory numbers I am showing are about the norm on the two computers.

In anycase 1.7 GB of RAM is a lot of RAM even for Bitdefender 2015 productss

• BD 2015 products do use a lot memory but the amount you are showing is way above board.

Is there more than one file listed under Bitdefender Security Service? I am showing four BD files using memory on one of my W7-SP1 computers with vsserve.exe using about 337MB and the other three using maybe a total of 40MB for a total memory usage of about 380MB for all BDIS 2015 files on one of my W7-SP1 computer that is just sitting there. Could you list the memory usage for each BD file in memory. Thanks

By comparison there are three BDW8 Security files active in memory (BDW8 Security does not have Wallet) using a total of 40MB of memory on this Windows 8.1 computer I am using to type this post. That is about 90% less memory usage for BDW8 Security on my W8.1 than what I am showing for BDIS 2015 on one of W7-SP1 computer. The BDW8 Security and BDIS memory numbers I am showing are about the norm on the two computers.

In anycase 1.7 GB of RAM is a lot of RAM even for Bitdefender 2015 productss

Product: Bitdefender Total Security 2015

My OS: Windows 8.1 Pro x64

Here you go few important services:

post-184595-1435686682_thumb.png

In your case I highly recomend to update system with latest updates and update your product and if this not help Try to repair your product by going to Control Panel --> Unistall a program and select Repair.

P.S. "Bitdefender for Windows 8" is always used less memory than Bitdefender Internet Security or Bitdefender Total Security.

• I myself am having memory usage problems, and have been trawling the forum for solutions.

HI ikayhong,

Welcome on the forum,

Vsserv is the backbone of the protection, it takes memory, but I haven't heard yet so much a consumption as yours...

A tip:

vsserv.exe process to check performance issues.

i hope it will help...

another tip:

you'd better reinstall BD.

Regards,

L.

• After recent update that required a restart BDIS 2015 began slowly to use more and more memory. For a year of use it was around 250-300mb-now exceeding 600mb and maxing to 900mb after quick scan. Op system is windows 8.1 and I have not made any changes to software or drivers. A restart will bring Vsserv.exe back to 180mb and then start climbing. Is this the new normal?

• I am having the same issue with vssev.exe starting from about 200 MB and climbing to absurd amounts over time (I suspect a memory leak). Tried reinstalling, repairing, etc. Nothing seems to work. Is there any way to fix this or will I have to move away from BitDefender Total Security?

• TtechX
    edited July 2015

I too I am having the same issue. It starts at 250mb after a restart.. and slowly climbs up and up.. and up the more you use the internet. At the time of writing my mb for vsserv.exe is @ 836MB.

I've done update as well as the "repair" and completely uninstall and reinstall and the issue persist. I've done all sorts of scan and my system is clean as a whistle.

Also, I have 3 additional PC's in this home network, all running BD and having the same issue.

- Win 7 x64

• Georgia
    Georgia ✭✭✭

Hello all,

Thank you for your feedback.

The situation has been acknowledged by the Bitdefender testing team. They'll analyze the situation and we will get back to you shortly with a possible fix.

Thank you for your support and patience.

• Thank you :)

• Hello all,

Thank you for your feedback.

The situation has been acknowledged by the Bitdefender testing team. They'll analyze the situation and we will get back to you shortly with a possible fix.

Thank you for your support and patience.

Any ETA on when there might be a fix?

• Thank you :)

Thank you for your very fast response to this situation. I appreciate it.

• Lionet
    edited July 2015
    I am having the same issue with vssev.exe starting from about 200 MB and climbing to absurd amounts over time (I suspect a memory leak). Tried reinstalling, repairing, etc. Nothing seems to work. Is there any way to fix this or will I have to move away from BitDefender Total Security?

Hi ThwOneWhoSwags,

BD needs a great part of memory place, but I do not have any issue with the 300 MB memory needed on my old Win XP SP3. It means it is hazardous to determine which is the cause of the bloated memory.

If you suspect something on your system, you could analyze it with:

Lavalys (if you could even find an old free version, it would be better)

and especially your memory:

Memtest (just to check one of your memory bar has not burned out.)

Nothing to do with an antimalware system, but it could help, like checking your HD has no bad clusters...

Good luck and be patient... :)

Regards,

L.

• Hi ThwOneWhoSwags,

BD needs a great part of memory place, but I do not have any issue with the 300 MB memory needed on my old Win XP SP3. It means it is hazardous to determine which is the cause of the bloated memory.

Nothing to do with an antimalware system, but it could help, like checking your HD has no bad clusters...

Regards,

L.

Malware,bad sectors,bad memory-are you kidding? Tech team has already seen the problem and its runaway memory.

• Malware,bad sectors,bad memory-are you kidding? Tech team has already seen the problem and its runaway memory.

I think he / she was just trying to be nice.

I also did chkdsk / memtest (the longggg one), defrag, you name it. I've done it all and the memory leak is still happening. This was all done prior posting. What compelled me to post was the fact I saw others were having this issue, around the same time frame. Everywhere I looked they gave similar tech suggestions (normal to do so) but I found non of that worked.

• Hi ThwOneWhoSwags,

Regards,

L.

Thanks for the reply but I am pretty sure everything is fine because the leak started happening out of nowhere after an update. Plus this is a known issue so I am pretty sure it's not on my part :) vsserv.exe is currently at 3 GB and still climbing lol. I'll have to restart

• I think he / she was just trying to be nice.

I also did chkdsk / memtest (the longggg one), defrag, you name it. I've done it all and the memory leak is still happening. This was all done prior posting. What compelled me to post was the fact I saw others were having this issue, around the same time frame. Everywhere I looked they gave similar tech suggestions (normal to do so) but I found non of that worked.

You're right.

• Thanks for the reply but I am pretty sure everything is fine because the leak started happening out of nowhere after an update. Plus this is a known issue so I am pretty sure it's not on my part :) vsserv.exe is currently at 3 GB and still climbing lol. I'll have to restart

Hi ThwOneWhoSwags,

I just indicated the possible memory failure because it could have happened...

I still have no problems, whether with my W7 or my old XP, so I don't know why my updates do not give a worst result. (to say the truth we do not have exactly the same system & software).

A 3 GB volume of memory taken is huge of course and erratic. :o

Georgia will answer you soon, I hope.

Regards,

L.

• Hi ThwOneWhoSwags,

I just indicated the possible memory failure because it could have happened...

I still have no problems, whether with my W7 or my old XP, so I don't know why my updates do not give a worst result. (to say the truth we do not have exactly the same system & software).

A 3 GB volume of memory taken is huge of course and erratic. :o

Georgia will answer you soon, I hope.

Regards,

L.

Thanks for the response :D. I just figured out that it takes approximately 15-16 hours to get to 3 GB. I'll put my system specs below if that will help :)

CPU - i7 3770k @ 4.2 GHz

GPU - nVidia GTX 770 2 GB

OS - Win 8.1 64 bit, latest version

RAM - 12 GB, 1600 MHz, 2x4 + 2x2

Let me know if there is anything else I need to provide. Also, here's a screenshot of vsserv.exe after about 13 hours of uptime - http://i.imgur.com/d70PLxg.png

• Thanks for the response :D. I just figured out that it takes approximately 15-16 hours to get to 3 GB. I'll put my system specs below if that will help :)

CPU - i7 3770k @ 4.2 GHz

GPU - nVidia GTX 770 2 GB

OS - Win 8.1 64 bit, latest version

RAM - 12 GB, 1600 MHz, 2x4 + 2x2

Let me know if there is anything else I need to provide. Also, here's a screenshot of vsserv.exe after about 13 hours of uptime - http://i.imgur.com/d70PLxg.png

Yea it takes a long time to get there.

I could say it's like 50mb an hour or something. I am currently back to 525mb after my 3rd restart today, gonna restart soon. And I always can tell when it gets bad because surfing the internet gets extremely laggy. Takes forever to load the pages. I had to switch from Chrome to Firefox because Chrome just blanks out too much with this issue at the moment.

• Product: Bitdefender Total Security 2015

My OS: Windows 8.1 Pro x64

Here you go few important services:

post-184595-1435686682_thumb.png

In your case I highly recomend to update system with latest updates and update your product and if this not help Try to repair your product by going to Control Panel --> Unistall a program and select Repair.

P.S. "Bitdefender for Windows 8" is always used less memory than Bitdefender Internet Security or Bitdefender Total Security.

It appears from your attached pic that BDTS 2015 may use a lot less memory on W8.1 than W7-SP1. This would not surprise me

• It appears from your attached pic that BDTS 2015 may use a lot less memory on W8.1 than W7-SP1. This would not surprise me

Actualy there is a memory leak after update...

post-184595-1435916711_thumb.png

Build: 18.23.0.1604.

Engine: 7.61370

• I am doing a malware scan as we speak (might be something else) but those affected do me a favor and go to forums.epicgames.com and just click on the username box and tell me if you get a pop redirect.

• mine is always eating 1gb of ram wtf

if this continue im gonna uninstall this