Installing Bitdefender Made My Pc Really Slow. Unusable

leohrs
edited April 2015 in General

I just bought and installed BitDefender.

And I already regret doing it.

Since I rebooted my laptop it has become really slow, completely unusable.

BitDefender is using +- 300MB of RAM, but that shouldn't be a problem since I have 8GB.

I'm using Windows 8.1 with the newest version of BitDefender Total Security.

Also running MalwareBytes Premmium, but closing it doesn't make the system recover it's speed.

Would anyone have any ideas on how to fix this? Or should I uninstall it and ask for a refund (absolutely legal under brazilian law)?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Hello Leohrs and welcome to the forum,

MBAM does not always play nicely with Bitdefender, it would be advisable to uninstall it (plus if you have any other security solution software - anti malware, anti-spyware or anti-adware - to uninstall them as well).

Then run a repair on Bitdefender. Go to your Control Panel>Programs and Features>Bitdefender 2015, double click it and choose "Repair". Allow that to complete and reboot the computer.

Let us know how you get on.

Ro.

• Hello Leohrs and welcome to the forum,

MBAM does not always play nicely with Bitdefender, it would be advisable to uninstall it (plus if you have any other security solution software - anti malware, anti-spyware or anti-adware - to uninstall them as well).

Then run a repair on Bitdefender. Go to your Control Panel>Programs and Features>Bitdefender 2015, double click it and choose "Repair". Allow that to complete and reboot the computer.

Let us know how you get on.

Ro.

Wow.

Thanks for your help, but following what you wrote just created me more problems.

When it rebooted I couldn't open bitdefender (it wasn't "loaded" or smtg like that.). Then it told me to reboot again to solve it.

When I rebooted it automatically started a "system recovery" that I didn't ask for. The recovery failed, and I couldn't turn my PC on.

Gladly I had created a system restore point before installing BitDefender, so I was able to repair it to that point.

Now wondering if I should try installing BitDefender again or if I should go straight for a refund...

• [sOLVED]:

In case it helps anyone who has the same problem:

After repairing my windows, I uninstalled all security programs I had. Then rebooted.

Made a clean install of BD. Rebooted.

After startup, disabled anti-virus and firewall on BD and installed MBAM.

Added following exceptions:

On BD:

MBAM Program folder + mbam.dll in system32 on anti-virus.

MBAM executables (to ignore the processes).

MBAM files on firewall

MBAM site on firewall so update is enable.

On MBAM:

All BD files on Malware.

All BD executables on Firewall.

BitDefender is still using 200MB of RAM, but it doesn't impact the speed of the laptop anymore. Everything is running smooth so far.

Thanks @Rohugh for the help. Hope I also help someone :)

~