Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Bitdefender Slowing Down Time Machine

Options

After waiting 3 days for Time Machine to backup 255GB, I saw that a previous post identified the Real Time protection as the cause of slowing down the backup. That post referred to Bitdefender 2012 - wondering whether this was addressed in the most recent antivirus (which I have)? (Now that I have switched it off, the upload is quicker but it still appears unable to calculate the time remaining.)

Comments

• Georgia
    Georgia ✭✭✭
    Options

Hi,

Most commonly this happens because the Time Machine compression level of the files.

Please add the Time Machine as an exception to the scan. Drag-and-drop Time Machine it in the Bitdefender Exclusions tab which can be accessed by opening Bitdefender and clicking on the Exclusions option from the lower part of the GUI.

Let us know how is everything going afterwards.

• ct-esq
    Options

Georgia - do you still need to drop the TM into the exclusions if the 2016 version has the "don't scan time machine" checked?

• Why haven't ct-esq got an answer? I also want to know before I buy this product. An antivirus software that will break the most vital functions in a Mac isn't worth having.

• Sorin G.
    Options

Hello,

If you're hold a large back-up it is normal for the product to cause slowdowns as the machine has to process all that information.

It will not "break" the time machine.

• Hi,

I just installed Bitdefender on my MacBook Pro and it has had no affect on Time Machine. Actually I was using the free Sophos Home AV and discovered by reading their forums that folks were have big time slow downs like I was. Once I removed Sophos my backups were flying. Then I installed Bitdefender and have seen no reduction in backup speeds. This is both to a Firewire 800 and a Thunderbolt drive. 

• "Break the most vital functions" is not the same thing as physically breaking a machine. Not a very helpful comment from someone supposed to be "technical support".

Thanks Logan5 for a much more helpful comment! I'm on a AC Wi-Fi to my TimeCapsule and I ditched Sophos now. It goes faster now indeed, but don't know how fast/slow it is supposed to be. 2.83 GB now after and hour.

• Actually Time Machine stopped at 2.83 GB for the last hour now. So I guess the jury is still out there whether Bitdefender is functioning well with Time Machine.

• Sorry, LisaT, this got fixed for me on another thread - In short, excluding the TM archive (in my case a Time Capsule) solved the first issue, the second issue was postbox mail archive.

• 5 hours ago, ct-esq said:

Sorry, LisaT, this got fixed for me on another thread - In short, excluding the TM archive (in my case a Time Capsule) solved the first issue, the second issue was postbox mail archive.

Thanks for your answer!

In other words, you want me to drag and drop the sparsebundle file into excluded files then? Sure I can do that, but then I don't understand BitDefenders function "Time Machine Protection". Is that something that one should have checked or unchecked? Does it even matter when I excluded the sparsebundle file and why have this funtionality to start with if one should exclude the sparsebundle file?

Many questions that arose here.