Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

File Shredder Not Working

Options

Hi, I've noticed that the file shredder option for deleting the contents of the recycle bin is not working for me anymore, when I right click on Recycle bin, Bitdefender, File Shredder, I get the warning message files cannot be retrieved when deleted, however when I select Yes, Bitdefender fails to erase/wipe any files, and all files are still in place in the Recycle bin? I'm using Bitdefender Total Security 2015, Windows 8.1

Comments

• Nesivos
    Nesivos
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Hi, I've noticed that the file shredder option for deleting the contents of the recycle bin is not working for me anymore, when I right click on Recycle bin, Bitdefender, File Shredder, I get the warning message files cannot be retrieved when deleted, however when I select Yes, Bitdefender fails to erase/wipe any files, and all files are still in place in the Recycle bin? I'm using Bitdefender Total Security 2015, Windows 8.1

No problem using BDIS 2015 on a W7-SP1. All files in recycle bin shredded

No problem using BDW8 Security on W8.1. All files in recycle bin shredded

Files shredded more quickly on a slower computer with BDW8 Security on a W8.1 computer than BDIS 2015 on a a faster computer with W7-SP1

No idea why you are having a problem with BDTS 2015 on W8.1. Keep in mind that none of the BD 2015 products are optimized for W8.X as opposed to BDW8 Security which is optimized for W8.X.

• No problem using BDIS 2015 on a W7-SP1. All files in recycle bin shredded

No problem using BDW8 Security on W8.1. All files in recycle bin shredded

Files shredded more quickly on a slower computer with BDW8 Security on a W8.1 computer than BDIS 2015 on a a faster computer with W7-SP1

No idea why you are having a problem with BDTS 2015 on W8.1. Keep in mind that none of the BD 2015 products are optimized for W8.X as opposed to BDW8 Security which is optimized for W8.X.

Many thanks for the reply, I also don't know why the file shredder suddenly stopped working, as I still have 200 days remaining on my current version, I was wondering if I uninstall BDTS15, and was to install BDW8, is my license key transferable, ie, will my current key for BDTS, work in BDW8,

Thanks

• Rohugh
    Rohugh ✭✭
    Options
    Many thanks for the reply, I also don't know why the file shredder suddenly stopped working, as I still have 200 days remaining on my current version, I was wondering if I uninstall BDTS15, and was to install BDW8, is my license key transferable, ie, will my current key for BDTS, work in BDW8,

Thanks

Sadly a TS license will not activate the BD W8 antivirus, although strangely a BD IS license will. You would have to contact Bitdefender and ask if you can change it ( bitsy@bitdefender.com ).

Another thought is to download the W8 version and give it a trial, you will have 30 days free to assess it and see if you have a more acceptable memory usage.

Ro.

• Rohugh
    Rohugh ✭✭
    Options

I checked with my Win 8.1/TS set up on desktop and like Nesivos found the file shredder worked perfectly in the recycle bin. Before you "jump ship" it would be an idea to run a repair on your TS. Open your Control Panel>Programs and Features>double click Bitdefender and choose "Repair". Allow it to complete and reboot your computer.

Ro.

• I checked with my Win 8.1/TS set up on desktop and like Nesivos found the file shredder worked perfectly in the recycle bin. Before you "jump ship" it would be an idea to run a repair on your TS. Open your Control Panel>Programs and Features>double click Bitdefender and choose "Repair". Allow it to complete and reboot your computer.

Ro.

Just a short update and thank you for all the suggestions, I have run the repair option on my product, and tried the file shredder again, this time it seemed to work as it should, so I'm hoping its back to normal, thanks again for the help,

Pat

• Rohugh
    Rohugh ✭✭
    Options

Good that it is working again, if you have further problems ask again on the forums. :)

As an aside, I have my Recycle Bin in the task bar, not the desk top (see attached) and I first checked by trying to shred the contents in that. Silly me, I should have thought it through as it trashed the shortcut as well so I had to reset it. Second check was by setting Trash back on the desktop.

Ro.

post-175392-1435496953_thumb.jpg

• [{"insert":"Just a check in . once i shred the applications and or file. it leaves the file on my pc but it refuses to open and it refuses to delete the remains. Any solutions on how to remove the current file?\n"}]