Desktop Security Widget Stops Working

AirstreamBill
edited September 2015 in General

Bitdefender Total Security 2016 Build 20.0.18.1037, on Windows 10. The Desktop Security Widget stops working after a period of time. One can close it and open it up as many times as one wants to but the only way to get it to function again is to Reboot the System. There is no length of time in particular but after awhile it just stops responding.

Comments

• Hello,

I have not seen any other reports on this problem so maybe you have a corrupted file in Bitdefender somewhere. Try running a repair -

Windows icon bottom left corner>All Apps>Bitdefender 2016>Repair or Uninstall. Let the repair complete and reboot the system.

Let us know if that solves the problem.

Ro.

• AirstreamBill
    edited September 2015
    Hello,

I have not seen any other reports on this problem so maybe you have a corrupted file in Bitdefender somewhere. Try running a repair -

Windows icon bottom left corner>All Apps>Bitdefender 2016>Repair or Uninstall. Let the repair complete and reboot the system.

Let us know if that solves the problem.

Ro.

Thanks for the comeback. It did it in the Beta 2016 and also in the Final release of Bitdefender 2016 On my Friends Laptop also, and now on new install of Bitdefender This morning when I saw that there was a Fix for the Windows 10 Not Shutting down problem. I did a New Install of BITTS 2016. Fresh Clean Install of Windows 10, No Special programs

running. Only programs installed are Bitdefender, Skype, Libre Office 5 and WinRAR. I reported it when I was Beta testing 2016 also. I guess no one else uses the Widget or pays any attention to it. Like I said it just stops functioning. Today it took it about 10 hrs before it stopped. I guess it is no big deal just reboot or close the Widget and use the GUI.

• Just an observation on my part. The Desktop Security Widget on my Laptop has stopped functioning 4 times since I made this original post. This morning when I opened up the lid on my laptop the Desktop Security Widget was working just fine. Windows 10 update downloaded Virus Definitions for Windows Defender and as soon as Windows installed them the Security Widget STOPPED Working. That is as I said just an observation!! ???

• If one were to use the Task View in Windows 10, that will also disable The Desktop Security Widget from functioning. Reboot time.

• Hi AirstreamBill,

Thank you for reporting this issue to us.

To be able to provide you with a proper solution, we would need to know if the Security widget crashes with an error(please provide us with a screenshot or the exact error message) or it simply disappears from the desktop, despite being turned on from GUI.

• Airstream_Bill
    edited September 2015
    Hi AirstreamBill,

Thank you for reporting this issue to us.

To be able to provide you with a proper solution, we would need to know if the Security widget crashes with an error(please provide us with a screenshot or the exact error message) or it simply disappears from the desktop, despite being turned on from GUI.

Hello! There is no error message. The Security Widget just stops functioning. The Security Widget is still displayed on the Desktop it does not scan one can not click on it to display the GUI it does not turn blue when one runs the cursor over it. It does nothing.

I would provide you with a Screenshot but it would just be a picture of the Desktop Widget . As I stated in the above posts the only way to get it to function again is to Reboot the Computer.

• Airstream_Bill
    edited September 2015

I have had it turned off for the last week as it was starting to aggravate me. I will turn the Security Widget on so that it is displayed on my Desktop and see how long it works today. If you read my above Post that is what it does on my Toshiba Laptop and also on a friend of mines Toshiba Laptop.

• Hi Airstream_Bill,

Thank you for the extra details.

1. Please make sure that the Game, Movie or Work profiles are not active when the issue occurs.

2. If the issue still occurs while in Standard profile, or with the profiles disabled, make sure you remove any other security solution that might be present on the PC and then repair Bitdefender.

3. If the issue persists, please do a clean boot, leaving only Microsoft and Bitdefender entries active, then check if the Security Widget performs as designed.

Please post back your results.

• Hi Airstream_Bill,

Thank you for the extra details.

1. Please make sure that the Game, Movie or Work profiles are not active when the issue occurs.

2. If the issue still occurs while in Standard profile, or with the profiles disabled, make sure you remove any other security solution that might be present on the PC and then repair Bitdefender.

3. If the issue persists, please do a clean boot, leaving only Microsoft and Bitdefender entries active, then check if the Security Widget performs as designed.

Please post back your results.

Well it still does it no specific length of time. Even after your new Build 20.0.19.1099. It is NO BIG DEAL I guess. I can not believe that no one else experiences

this happening. Thanks for getting back to me. I can supply no more information on the Security Widget than all of my above posts.

• derekp
    edited October 2015
    Well it still does it no specific length of time. Even after your new Build 20.0.19.1099. It is NO BIG DEAL I guess. I can not believe that no one else experiences

this happening. Thanks for getting back to me. I can supply no more information on the Security Widget than all of my above posts.

This has happened to me as well.

It also happened in BIS2015 when I was using my old PC with Windows 7 Home SP1

A few months ago, I purchased a new PC with Windows 7 SP1 64 bit installed.

I loaded BIS2015 64 bit on it, and this issue kept on occurring.

It annoyed me, so I just hid the widget.

In September I installed the free upgrade to Windows 10 Home RTM

I very recently installed BIS2016 on to this PC

The widget also stopped working after an indeterminate time.

So I have hidden it again.

I do not have any other anti-malware programs installed on the PC.

In all other respects, the BIS2016 appears to be working OK.

On a side note, Safe Pay does not work - as BIS2016 reports a conflict with the Acronis True Image 2016 scheduler.

So I do not use Safe Pay.

I dont know whether this will help Bitdefender to diagnose the problem.

• This has happened to me as well.

It also happened in BIS2015 when I was using my old PC with Windows 7 Home SP1

A few months ago, I purchased a new PC with Windows 7 SP1 64 bit installed.

I loaded BIS2015 64 bit on it, and this issue kept on occurring.

It annoyed me, so I just hid the widget.

In September I installed the free upgrade to Windows 10 Home RTM

I very recently installed BIS2016 on to this PC

The widget also stopped working after an indeterminate time.

So I have hidden it again.

I do not have any other anti-malware programs installed on the PC.

In all other respects, the BIS2016 appears to be working OK.

On a side note, Safe Pay does not work - as BIS2016 reports a conflict with the Acronis True Image 2016 scheduler.

So I do not use Safe Pay.

I dont know whether this will help Bitdefender to diagnose the problem.

Thanks for posting on this topic. I know that I am not CRAZY . Again thanks for posting. Maybe they will be able to fix it. I to just Hide the Security Widget.

• I have the EXACT problem, only a reboot will get the widget to work! It shows no "activity" across it. Instead of asking for error logs and screenshots of crashes perhaps BD should listen to what we are saying!

• I have the EXACT problem, only a reboot will get the widget to work! It shows no "activity" across it. Instead of asking for error logs and screenshots of crashes perhaps BD should listen to what we are saying!

Exactly, Thanks for confirming my Post.

• Hi all,

Have you tried a clean boot followed by a Bitdefender repair?

• Hi all,

Have you tried a clean boot followed by a Bitdefender repair?

Yes problem still exists, seems to happen if there is an actual update or if there is a blocked webpage.

• Well it has been awhile since I said anything again. IT STILL DOES IT. PROBLEM Still Exists.

• Hi, I have been running Bitdefender Total Security 2016 for a month or two now. Last week I upgraded to Win10 and today I find that my Security Widget (which I do like to see in the right-hand corner of my screen) has disappeared. I try to set it on and it flashes up and disappears again. I will reboot and see what happens. If same again I'll try a Bitdefender repair also.

• jimbealde
    edited January 2016

I have the same problem and have had ever since I went to Windows 10 some months ago. SOmetimes I can go to the Dashboard display and the Display Security Widget is set to ON, but the widget isn't displayed. I can turn it OFF and back ON and it displays until the next time I reboot or shut down / start up. Other times, when it will not display, I go to the Dashboard and display general settings, and it is OFF. I turn it ON, and it displays momentarily and then goes off. I have thougtht about turning this to support, but it seems like such a simple problem that BD should not have to be prompted to fix it. I'm on BUild 20.0.24.1290.

And, YES, I have done the BD REPAIR, but nothing changed.

I reported this problem in the GENERAL forum about a month ago, but nobody seemed to have the same problem.

Am hope for a solution???

• Hi, I have been running Bitdefender Total Security 2016 for a month or two now. Last week I upgraded to Win10 and today I find that my Security Widget (which I do like to see in the right-hand corner of my screen) has disappeared. I try to set it on and it flashes up and disappears again. I will reboot and see what happens. If same again I'll try a Bitdefender repair also.

Well. apparently you and I are the only BD customers who experience this problem. I reported it in another forum category (General) more than a month ago,, and there have been +100 views but no comments.

• Well. apparently you and I are the only BD customers who experience this problem. I reported it in another forum category (General) more than a month ago,, and there have been +100 views but no comments.

Since I posted this topic there have been more than 1500 views. There are lots of people who experience this. Do not waist your time with a repair of Bitdefender Just reboot. That is the only thing that will fix it for a little bit.

• Please post here a support tool log to further look into this matter:

http://www.bitdefender.com/support/how-to-...t-log-1168.html

If the file is too big to attach, upload it on

http://www.sendspace.com or http://www.speedyshare.com

and post the download link.

If you were already asked to generate these logs by Bitdefender Customer Care, disregard the above message and just post the ticket ID.

Thank you.

• A reboot is the only workaround. This has been an issue as long as I've been using Bitdefender. I've posted in the forum about it (zero responses), seen others post in the forum.

Reproing the problem is "difficult" in that there doesn't seem to be anything obvious that triggers it.

Repro steps

Reboot - see that the widget is active

Go about you business for minutes to days (literally)

At some point the widget isn't ticking.

When this happens the widget can't be moved

Right Clicking the taskbar icon will pop open and immediately close the BD menu.

Reboot to fix

Yes, we can open tickets for this. For a ticket to be useful we need better repro steps.

Do anyone have any more definitive repro steps?

• I've had this same problem for many months (W7 Pro, and a clean desktop machine). I reported it to BD Support, which was no help whatsoever. I was asked to provide the support tool log file and screen shots. How the ###### do you provide screen shots of something that is not there? Or something that is there for a split second and then disappears again? BTW, the support tool did not end, it simply started and then ran for hours. I rebooted and the support tool did the same thing for 6 hours. I reported that problem too, and had the same unsatisfying result with Support.

I'm beginning to feel that if it doesn't blow up and create a dump, they can't figure it out. I'm going to try the support tool once more right now. If it completes, I'll send it in because my ###### widget has vanished again. I'm fed up rebooting because of Bitdefender.

• No dice trying to run that support tool. Nothing after 20 minutes, so I killed it. If anyone wants to see some screen shots, I'll upload a pdf.

/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=14735" data-fileid="14735" rel="">BD Support Tool documentation 03-30-16.pdf

• As a follow-up on the Widget issue:

I have no other 'security solutions' installed;

Repair of Bitdefender does not resolve the issue;

Each attempt to enable the Widget generates an unhelpful entry in the Windows logs - Operation failed

A simply reboot does not restore the Widget;

Only a Shutdown - Restart seems to work.

Since 'Support' doesn't seem to care about this problem, maybe it will be fixed in BD2017!

• This same problem just started happening to me. Security widget has dissappeared from desktop. I set the setting for the widget to be displayed, the widget flashes up and then dissappears immediately again and the setting immediately returns to off. Also, the BD icon on my tray is grayed out with context "Please sign in to activate BF". I am not sure if BD is providing protection for me.

• Same has happened here. Exactly the same as 16 april post above. How am I supposed to know if BD 2016 is providing protection please? Support please acknowledge this.

• If the system tray icon is grey that means the product is not active.

Double click on the system tray icon to open the product, you should see a login screen asking you to login with your Central account (as it needs to be linked with the account holding the subscription).

• I am also having this problem--no widget, greyed out icon, but when I sign in to the website it shows no problem so ???

• jimbealde
    edited June 2016

OK- I executed the diagnostic tool and submitted a Support Request (Second one) on Sunday, 6/12. Today, 6/13 (AMAZINGLY ENOUGH), I received a reply that I had another security solution installed that was interfering with BD:********************************

After analyzing the information we received from you we concluded that there are other security solutions or applications installed on your system, which could conflict with Bitdefender:

- Windows Family Safety

Running multiple security solutions on the same PC affects their proper functionality as they compete for access to the same system resources. Even if they are turned off, there may still remain some active processes running in the background.

That is why, we recommend you to uninstall the other security solutions in order for Bitdefender to work properly.

[How to uninstall Windows Family Safety]

a) Please go to Start -> run -> type "appwiz.cpl" and hit Enter (or type directly in the Search bar for Windows Vista and 7);

B) When the list of installed applications is loaded click on 'Windows Live Essentials', and then click Uninstall/Change or Change/Remove. If you're prompted, click Continue;

c) Select Uninstall, and then click Continue;

d) Select Family Safety, and then click Continue;

e) Follow the on-screen instructions;

f) After the Family Safety Filter has been uninstalled, restart the computer;

After uninstalling the above mentioned software we kindly recommend you to repair Bitdefender. In order to do that, just follow the steps below:

1. Press at the same time the keys "Windows logo" (located between Ctrl and Alt keys) and "R".

This will bring up the Run box.

2. Type directly in the box "appwiz.cpl" and hit Enter.

3. Wait while the list is being populated, then search for your 'Bitdefender 2016' product, right click on it and choose Uninstall.

4. A wizard will appear. Choose "Repair".

Wait for the process to complete and then restart your computer for the changes to take effect.

For more information and screenshots, please follow the steps from our article:

http://www.bitdefender.com/support/how-to-repair-bitdefender-2016-1469.html

I did not know I had that installed, but I did use Windows Live Mail at one time, which is in Windows Live Essentials. Windows 10 DID NOT FIND Windows Family Safety on the computer but did find Messenger and Movie Maker, neither of which I ever use, so I uninstalled Windows LIve Essentials, restarted, repaired BD TS 16. So far, so good. I'll reserve judgement about whether the disappearing widget is solved. It tends to come and go.

• Just to follow up- This failed again on 6/21/16 on 2 machines running on the same home network with Verizon ISP, WIndows 10, one desktop and one laptop. In both cases, The BD Dashboard General Settings have the Security Widget set ON, but is not displayed. I can turn OFF and ON, and it stays ON. In some cases in the past, I would turn it ON, and it would come on momentarily and then go off.

• Hello Jim,

Please provide me with the ticket number to look into this matter.

• Integrated Support - 356902.zip 2016061219460003- I ask to close this request out of exassperation. I need to know my security solution is running and I cannot always tell with BD Total Security 2016.

• Hello,

Sorry to hear about the situation you had to go through.

Windows Live Family Safety comes built-in on Windows 10. If you haven't used the feature that means its dormant and won't interfere with your daily use.

I noticed that you are using a older build of Bitdefender, please use the Bitdefender Uninstall tool to safely remove all Bitdefender files and reinstall from Central ensuring you download the latest Agent. If your W10 is a upgrade from W7/8/8.1 I would also advise running a system file checker as that upgrade doesn't always go smooth.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/using-system-file-checker-in-windows-10

http://www.bitdefender.com/files/KnowledgeBase/file/Bitdefender_2016_UninstallTool.exe

• ac249
    edited November 2016

Same thing just happened to me. Widget doesn't appear and icon is greyed out. Fixed it following instructions above :

1. Checked that no other security software i.e. Windows 10 security was running. It wasn't.

2. Ran the BD Repair Tool which as per the inx. It ran uninstalling and then reinstalling BD 2016 TS.

3. Restarted when instructed to and all is fine again.

It's fine but a pain in the RRRR all the same.

Thanks to all the whines and suggestions for your support and backup.

Cheers Mike