[Fixed] Bitdefender Has Clean Hosts File

Guys I am on Windows 10 and I want add few ads lines into my Host file but Bitdefender messing with host how to stop this thing?

post-194032-1442168226_thumb.png

Comments

• Oh no ... I don't have BD installed right now, but I use custom Hosts file entries myself and I don't want to deal with this. Is it possible to disable Hosts file monitoring?

If no one else replies, I will reply if/when I get BDTS installed. If there is no way to prevent this, I won't be buying/using BD.

• Oh no ... I don't have BD installed right now, but I use custom Hosts file entries myself and I don't want to deal with this. Is it possible to disable Hosts file monitoring?

If no one else replies, I will reply if/when I get BDTS installed. If there is no way to prevent this, I won't be buying/using BD.

Hi, I deleted old host and created new one. Seems like BD doesn't touch it yet.

• heterodox
    edited September 2015

I installed BDTS 2016 awhile ago, and my Hosts file is fine. I can tell that BDTS did edit the Hosts file... But it simply added a few bytes in the form of a couple carriage returns at the very end of the file. Why it would do this, I don't know, but it didn't wipe or comment out my stuff. If it ever does, I will not be happy!

• I installed BDTS 2016 awhile ago, and my Hosts file is fine. I can tell that BDTS did edit the Hosts file... But it simply added a few bytes in the form of a couple carriage returns at the very end of the file. Why it would do this, I don't know, but it didn't wipe or comment out my stuff. If it ever does, I will not be happy!

I have also found that bitdefender TS 2016 comments out entries in the hosts file. In my case an 192.168.2 subnet address.

This was not a problem with bitdefender 2015.

Anyone know how to get around this problem?

• I have also found that bitdefender TS 2016 comments out entries in the hosts file. In my case an 192.168.2 subnet address.

This was not a problem with bitdefender 2015.

Anyone know how to get around this problem?

Are you getting a Ransomware feature blocked by Ransonware message? I have never messed around with a Windows Host file so I don't know if the Ransomwae feature is blocking or interfering with attempts to modify it.

You could try turning the Ransomware feature off and see what happens. If that solves the problem best to see if you can turn the Ransomware feature back on and add an exception for the the Hosts file in the Ransomewre module. Again, I have never messed with the Hosts file so I don't know if the Ransomware feature is causing the problem or not. However, it is worth a try to see what happens if you temporarily turn off the Ransomware feature.

• Another possible solution:

Try temporily turning Intrustion Detection off or if you have it set at Aggressive or Medium lower it to Permissive and see what happens..

• Hi.

I sent a message to support a week ago and still no answers. I bought Total security 2016 and I regret it big time. I am developing using vagrant and virtual machines. My hosts file need customization but after 1 hour BD comments all the changes. I put the file in the exclusion list, modified the firewall, tested all the solutions thrown in the forum. NOTHING WORKS.

I tested the 2015 suite and had no problem with it. The 2016 version IS A NIGHTMARE and the support is not even answering or just a generic answer that makes no sense.

The only fix is to make the file read only... fix it BD.

• Guys I am on Windows 10 and I want add few ads lines into my Host file but Bitdefender messing with host how to stop this thing?

Bitdefender monitors the Hosts File. It is hard-coded; it can not be disabled. If Bitdefender detects re-directing\malicious URL in Hosts File, then it will comment that URL out = neutralize it.

You can submit false positive URLs to Bitdefender for de-black listing.

• SolidStateBox
    edited October 2015
    Guys I am on Windows 10 and I want add few ads lines into my Host file but Bitdefender messing with host how to stop this thing?

Bitdefender monitors the Hosts File. It think it might be hard-coded. Did you try disabling Web Protection - but that is not recommended ?

If Bitdefender detects re-directing\malicious URL in Hosts File, then it will comment that URL out = neutralize it.

It is this way for maximum protection for typical user.

Typical user does not customize Hosts File...

• Add your hosts file to the AV exceptions, that fixed it for me, hope it works for you too.

I also use 255.255.255.0 except for 127.0.0.1 for localhost, apparently it's faster to process and better than using 0.0.0.0

Bitdefender monitors the Hosts File. It think it might be hard-coded. Did you try disabling Web Protection - but that is not recommended ?

If Bitdefender detects re-directing\malicious URL in Hosts File, then it will comment that URL out = neutralize it.

It is this way for maximum protection for typical user.

Typical user does not customize Hosts File...

• dblwizard
    edited January 2016
    Add your hosts file to the AV exceptions, that fixed it for me, hope it works for you too.

I also use 255.255.255.0 except for 127.0.0.1 for localhost, apparently it's faster to process and better than using 0.0.0.0

Has anybody gotten this to work? I recently installed TS 2016 and cannot get Bitdefender to leave the hosts file alone. I've added it in the AV "Module" under Excluded files and folders using the setting of "Both" that hasn't helped. I'm not sure what it means to "submit false positive URLs to Bitdefender for de-black listing".

These are not public domain names I'm using but private IP ranges for local system when connecting to various VPNs for accessing computers by names rather than IP address.

Is my only alternative to uninstall BitDefender?

Thanks

dbl

• Georgia
    Georgia ✭✭✭
    edited February 2016

Hi,

There is a special routine for the hosts file in the Bitdefender engines because this location is one of the main targets for malware. We do not recommend adding exclusions for this file as it's a security breach for Windows but if you are absolutely sure you want to proceed, here are the steps to follow:

1. Set exclusions for

-the folder

C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc

-and the file

C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

for both on-demand and on-access from Modules > Protection > Antivirus > Exclusions > Excluded files and folders.

2. Turn OFF On-access scanning from Modules > Protection > Antivirus.

3. Replace the altered host file.

4. Turn back ON On-access scanning

As for why it's commented out I'd recommend referring as well to this topic:

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?sho...st&p=247884

Thank you.

• heterodox
    edited March 2016

I followed those instructions exactly, but BD still has a stranglehold on the hosts file. I can see that it's vsserv.exe that has locked handles on the hosts file. I can't delete, replace, or rename the hosts file. What makes no sense additionally is that I can edit the hosts file with some applications, but not others. Also, BD seems to randomly decide when to revert the entire file to a backup.

It does all of this without my approval or consent. I wish BD treated me like a grown-up. I understand that most users don't even know what the hosts file is, but guess what? SOME DO! And some of us actually use other software to manage the hosts file, along with common sense and random things like human vision.

• Cegrig
    Cegrig Senior QA Engineer BD Staff

Hi,

Simply replacing it won't do much, it will just be another hosts file. You can work around this by making the hosts file read-only.

• Georgia
    Georgia ✭✭✭

Hello all,

Starting with the latest build version 20.0.26.1418 released last week you now have the option to prevent the hosts entries from being commented out by Bitdefender 2016. You no longer have to change the hosts attribute to read-only.

In the main Bitdefender interface click on the human shaped icon (from the upper right corner) and choose General Settings > Advanced tab > "Scan hosts file" button.

I now declare this topic closed.

• Not resurrecting this thread, but It has to be mentioned that the steps have changed since 2016, maybe this will help members that are looking for this information in the community:

Bitdefender interface -> click on Protection on the left side -> click open in the vulnerability section -> Settings -> Scan hosts file button.

Premium Security & Bitdefender Endpoint Security Tools user

This discussion has been closed.