Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Problem With Usb Drives

Options

Hi all,

I have a problem with Bitdefender antivirus plus 2016 and USB keys/hard drives.

Whenever I connect a USB device and bitdefender automatically scans it for viruses, I end up with a completely unresponsive system, which only occasionally receives my inputs and then hangs again, and again.

The only solution is to reboot (via start menu if during a responsive period), or by hitting the reset button on my computer case.

I have windows 10 64 bit, regularly activated, as well as a licensed copy of bitdefender av.

Reverting back to bitdefender 2015 solves the problem, but I'm interested in the new features of 2016 AV, especially the anti-ransomware protection.

Has anybody of you experienced a similar problem? Any solution or fix available?

Comments

• muni
    Options

Same here. It happens on quick scan too. I tried to repair bitdefender but it messed up my windows 10 and I had to reset it. My friend is also facing the same problem.

• Nesivos
    Options
    Hi all,

I have a problem with Bitdefender antivirus plus 2016 and USB keys/hard drives.

Whenever I connect a USB device and bitdefender automatically scans it for viruses, I end up with a completely unresponsive system, which only occasionally receives my inputs and then hangs again, and again.

The only solution is to reboot (via start menu if during a responsive period), or by hitting the reset button on my computer case.

I have windows 10 64 bit, regularly activated, as well as a licensed copy of bitdefender av.

Reverting back to bitdefender 2015 solves the problem, but I'm interested in the new features of 2016 AV, especially the anti-ransomware protection.

Has anybody of you experienced a similar problem? Any solution or fix available?

What happens if you leave the USB drive in, reboot the computer and than run a Bitdefender Contextual scan of the USB drive?

Do you know how much of the computer's CPU is being used and by which apps when you insert the USB drive?

I found that certain other anti-malware products use a lot of CPU during a Bitdefender Scan. It could be that when Bitdefender begins it scan it sets off another app that also uses a good deal of the CPU. The amount used will vary by CPU. One way to tell how much CPU is being used is to open Windows Task Mgr and sort Processes by CPU usage before inserting the USB. You could be having a conflict between Bitdefender 2016 and another app leading to excessive CPU usage during a scan.

I do know that a BDTS 2016 scan of a newly inserted DVD or CD with a a lot of executables on them takes a long time and on less powerful computers uses a lot of CPU pretty much preventing the use of the computer until the scan is complete. That could be the problem here. That is why I am suggesting trying a Contextual scan and see if you get the same result with regard to CPU usage. I would think the result would be the same from a Contextual scan of an already inserted USB device and the scan that happens when you insert the device.

In anycase try opening the Window Task Mgr sorting it by CPU usage and then inserting the USB device or doing a Contextual scan on a USB device previously inserted before rebooting. See if all of the CPU power is being used and how much of it is being used by the top five apps in terms of CPU usage.

• What happens if you leave the USB drive in, reboot the computer and than run a Bitdefender Contextual scan of the USB drive?

Didn't try, and I wouldn't try to install BD2016 again, except in case some work is done on this issue, to avoid cobblering my system.

Do you know how much of the computer's CPU is being used and by which apps when you insert the USB drive?

The strange fact is that CPU stays at 0% usage in task manager.

• Have a same problem, Windows 8.1, BitDefender Internet Security 2016 before one week, now have AntiVirus Plus 2015, same problem, on Mac same USB drive with BitDefender AntiVirus work without problems. In Task manager don't have a process with high CPU usage, but windows is slow down. Problem is a scan USB drive Contextual scan (autostart on usb insert or manual scan), stay at 99% and work hours....

• Completely the same problem with both lap top nad the PC being frozen for hours now. It is frustrating to get one USB drive scanned to 99% and then just to watch almost dead computer. The memo usage is at 50-51% with the CPU being normal to very low. I have to say that it is complete disapointment with BDTS 2016 at the moment. I was happy with prevoius products, but this one is not what I have paid for.

Did anyone find any solution to this, or are we in BD developers mercy until they sort it out?

• Hi guys,

To avoid this problem in Bitdefender 2016 go to Modules> Protection> Antivirus> Exclusions tab> Scan USB devices> Disable.

If you are afraid that an USB might be infected, every time you plug it into the PC, simply run a contextual scan on it. If the contextual scan hangs, the most probable cause is the fact that Bitdefender tries to scan archives within archives, which will cause massive CPU and RAM usage. You may want to avoid that...

• Try with rar archive - work, rar with password work, 7zip work, 7Zip with password freeze, don't show a screen for password for 7Zip, can someone for bitdefender test that case?