Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Windows 7 Explorer.exe Crashes On Reboot After Installing Avp16

Options
Ageless
edited February 2016 in Install & activation

Yesterday I bought a 3PC/2 year subscription license of AVP2016, and installed that correctly on two of my machines. The third one however it isn't playing ball with. Every time that I reboot after installing it, I am looking at black screens, because explorer.exe keeps on crashing.

Now yesterday that may have been attributed to my Windows being damaged, but I've sat through 13 hours of reinstalling Windows today, have all the updates in, have installed AVP16, rebooted and explorer.exe is immediately crashing again. This isn't fun.

I can't even start Add/remove programs because that uses the explorer shell. And AVP itself doesn't seem to have an uninstaller.

I'll reboot to Safe Mode in a moment, hope I can uninstall it from there. But yesterday I was in Safe Mode and there explorer.exe was crashing as well.

Which then means I'll have to go back to an earlier restore point, something that the AVP installer does not make, by the way. Might be useful to add that.

Comments

• Safe Mode worked, have uninstalled AVP16 again.

In the mean time, Event Viewer has 57 of these errors the past hour:

Faulting application name: explorer.exe, version: 6.1.7601.17514, time stamp: 0x4ce7a144

Faulting module name: verifier.dll, version: 6.1.7600.16385, time stamp: 0x4a5be081

Exception code: 0x80000003

Fault offset: 0x000000000000ae03

Faulting process id: 0x1350

Faulting application start time: 0x01d16dd20752a969

Faulting application path: C:\Windows\explorer.exe

Faulting module path: C:\Windows\system32\verifier.dll

Report Id: b06bc52e-d9c5-11e5-9e75-bc5ff419f74a

All cleared up as soon as AVP16 was off my system.

• Outcome sfc /SCANNOW

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]

Copyright © 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Windows\system32>sfc /scannow

Beginning system scan. This process will take some time.

Beginning verification phase of system scan.

Verification 100% complete.

Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.

C:\Windows\system32>

I'll run ShellExView later on to disable all non-Microsoft hook-ins and see if that stabilizes explorer.exe, then slowly add them one by one until I find the possible culprit.