How Do I Use The Box To Create A Wi-Fi Network?

Is it possible to use the Box to create a Wi-Fi network? The Wi-Fi on the router given to me by my broadband provider is flaky.

Comments

• Hello,

BOX can also be installed as a standalone router but the inconvenience for this type of setup is that BOX has only one LAN port and you will be able to connect only one device through cable directly to BOX. However, for WiFi connected devices there is no limit.

• Hello,

BOX can also be installed as a standalone router but the inconvenience for this type of setup is that BOX has only one LAN port and you will be able to connect only one device through cable directly to BOX. However, for WiFi connected devices there is no limit.

Okay good news. Presumably I can just hook a switch up the one LAN port?

How do I setup the box to act as a standalone router?

Thanks.

• Hello,

Yes you can hook a switch to the LAN port to extend your cabled connections.

You can setup the box as a standalone router by following the steps below.

- Please unplug the BOX from the power source, connect the Ethernet cable in the WAN port of the BOX (the one that has a globe icon, nearest to the reset button), plug the power source.

- After 1 minute or 2, you it will start broadcasting its own Wireless network called BOX. (Password : 12345678)

- From the BOX Management app please select 'I don't have a router' and follow the steps from the screen.

• Hello,

Yes you can hook a switch to the LAN port to extend your cabled connections.

You can setup the box as a standalone router by following the steps below.

- Please unplug the BOX from the power source, connect the Ethernet cable in the WAN port of the BOX (the one that has a globe icon, nearest to the reset button), plug the power source.

- After 1 minute or 2, you it will start broadcasting its own Wireless network called BOX. (Password : 12345678)

- From the BOX Management app please select 'I don't have a router' and follow the steps from the screen.

Thanks. If I already have the box setup, do I need to go through the remove from network process before trying to re-setup the box up in a different way?

• Plugging the Ethernet cable in the WAN port of the BOX didn't seem to do anything. No Wi-Fi network ever showed up. I assumed because BOX still thought it's setup to work with a router. So I went through the removal process. The app would say "It may take a few minutes to remove BOX from your network...". The app would then either not move on from this screen (30+ minutes later) or it would just revert back to showing me the usual details, as if nothing had happened. After 3 or 4 tries, I decided to give up and leave BOX as-is. The app then decided it would actually "remove" the box. I'm not clear what (if anything) that process does, because all I actually needed to do was to unplug box and re-enable my router's DHCP server.

I still can't get the Box to broadcast a Wi-Fi network, other than when it's in recovery mode. The app just shows these messages, even though BOX isn't plugged into a router:

post-204192-0-54364200-1473616863_thumb.png post-204192-0-11972700-1473616869_thumb.png

This is the most frustrating piece of network gear I've used. The feedback about what BOX doing is basically non-existent. Despite the BOX not being plugged in, the app on my phone cheerfully reports "Your device is safe"...

Is there a way to reset the box back to factory settings?