Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Rootkit Scan

Options
CCV
CCV
edited February 2017 in General

Hello, not sure if this is the correct Forum section, but anyway...

I would like some advice, please, on how best to use the Rootkit scan option.

I think it is important to do, but, so far, any settings I have used for it result in an inordinately long time for scans to complete. Is there any quick way to scan for Rootkits with Bitdefender?

Attached is an image of the best I could think of. Didn't expect it to be fast on the first run, but it still took 17 hours the second time around.

Any help much appreciated.

Rootkit.jpg

Comments

• Hi, CCV. Just run a System Scan. Rootkit scan is included, and the last time I ran it, it took 17 minutes.

17 hours is not right. Have you restarted your system ?

• CCV
    Options

Thanks Fenderman1.

I don't know that Rootkit is included in Full System Scan. It might be, but when I go to schedule a System Scan I find Rootkit scan not enabled by default. Please see attachment.

Otherwise, atm., I can't tell what Full System Scan does - all possible options being greyed out.

As to your question about rebooting: Possibly I didn't, for the sake of some time consuming Graphics rendering. That uses all available CPU time - shouldn't interfere with anything else. Still, it was 30-something hours first time around. And then, 50 odd hours when set to "Agressive".

Doesn't seem right to me, in any case.

Rootkit2.jpg

• Hi, CCV. I'm not seeing that menu option. I'm running Total Security 2017.

Maybe @Sorin G can help from Support ?

• CCV
    CCV
    edited February 2017
    Options

I'm using Antivirus Plus 2017 and the Menus pictured appear via the "Manage Scans" link. It's actually the options to Customise scans,.not merely schedule Default scans (as I wrote above) in which case that last menu is not available. I can't tell if default scans include rootkits, but Rootkit scan certainly is not enable by default in custom tasks.

Something is wrong though. The last scheduled "Quick scan" took about 50 minutes which is much, much longer than I remember it being. Also, I inadvertently scheduled a Full scan at Startup and that is still running 22 hours in. The progress indicator has been stuck on 26% most of that time, but it always was unreliable. Oh, and.. Btw., I have restarted my system in the meantime. Maybe a re-installation of Bitdefender...?

What "Support" I have received by email so far I would rate as pitiful. I was willing to buy Bitdefender based on its comparative detection rate, but the customer care is the worst I have experienced in my life! Good way to put yourselves out of business, people. If it weren't for the fact that I am now about four days too late I would be asking for my money back and going elsewhere. I can't say for sure if the product is satisfactory, but responses to requests for help with problems I've had with it certainly haven't been.

• Fenderman1
    edited February 2017
    Options

hi, CCV. Sorin G is the Tech Support person who helps here in the Forums. Often better to get help here, than from official Support ! been there, done that !

I'd be inclined to do an uninstall using the BitDefender Removal Tool, and then do a reinstall.  http://www.bitdefender.com/uninstall

That at least, will give you a clean installation.

You can also if you prefer, try first going to Control Panel/Programs and Features, right click on BitDefender and use the Repair option.

• CCV
    Options

Thanks, again, Fenderman,

How do I attract the attention of, or get in touch with, Tech Support here?

Well, yes.. Repair might work, but I think I'd prefer to do a clean reinstall. At least I was, eventually, given a link for the Bitdefender Removal Tool by Customer Support - it's  http://www.bitdefender.com/files/KnowledgeBase/file/Bitdefender_2017_UninstallTool.exe Despite Bitdefender being supposed be able to uninstall other AV programs, the installer wouldn't respond at all until I removed them myself - including a version of Bitdefender I didn't want. IObit Uninstaller, using its Powerful Scan, does a good job I reckon. Otherwise, in one case, I used the cleanup tool for my previous AV before Bitdefender installer would work.

• Fenderman1
    edited February 2017
    Options

Two options to contact Support  https://www.bitdefender.com/support/chat-support.html

or vial email   https://www.bitdefender.com/support/consumer/

then you can raise a ticket if the other things you try don't work.

• CCV
    CCV
    edited February 2017
    Options

10 hours ago, Fenderman1 said:

Two options ...or vial email   https://www.bitdefender.com/support/consumer/ then you can raise a ticket if the other things you try don't work.

Well.. It's exactly the email option I'm saying is pitiful, as far as any response I got goes. I'm not the only one, apparently. I have come across serious complaints about customer service on this forum. (the chat option is physically impractical for me)

Sorin G., as it happens, often suggests  bitsy@bitdefender.com as an avenue of contact. Don't know if that would be any help to me atm..

Anyway.. I did a clean reinstall of Bitdefender. Seemed to work ok, except something messed up my internet connection in the process. Did a Repair job on Bitdefender. That fixed the connectivity problem where nothing else I tried did. So, I'm not happy again.

After that tho, Quick Scan took about 50 seconds; System Scan maybe 2 hours (about what I would expect), but I didn't wait to find out for sure because of trying to solve the internet problem.

I don't care how good the product is supposed to be, the lack of customer care tells me this business is not worth dealing with.

• Sorin G.
    Options

Hello,

The Quick Scan and Full System Scan you see under Manage Scan Tasks are just templates and you will not be able to modify them fully.

If you wish to have full control of a Scan simply use the New Custom Task button to create a scan of your own.

The Full system Scan (simply selecting the entire machine for scan) can take a while to finish, specially if the system has packed files or archives. (Even System Restore files).

Packed files take a large toll on the harddrive to process and as a result it takes longer for the scan to complete. However once a complete scan has been done to the machine, the next scans should take less time to go through.

• CCV
    Options

Thanks Sorin G.,

But that doesn't address my concerns here. First, the problem with scans with Rootkit scan enabled taking so awfully long - even the second time. And, arising from that, the question whether or not rootkits are scanned for during standard scans. 

• CCV
    Options

Seriously, people, this is beyond ridiculous!

Keep my money, for all I care, but you will never get my business nor any recommendation from me in the future. Not only am I dissatisfied with the product, but, worse yet, I would call your so called customer care as no less than appalling. I want my money back. I doubt that's gonna happen tho, since beyond the 30 day Money Back Guarantee period none of you have properly addressed any of my concerns.

Look at the attachment, please.

No antivirus scan should take so long - even if I did cancel it twice previously, due to some interruptions I couldn't help. It's been stuck on 47% since hour one. Always got stuck (more or less) at the same place since I first installed the program. And, it still says 47% at 11:30 hours.

Wrong, wrong, wrong!

I don't like it and I don't like you. Could of saved myself a lot of trouble and expense  by looking a little further to find the TRIAL version.

I don't know on what your reputation is based.

I, for one, will not support it.

Full Scan.jpg