Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

[fixed] Failed to connect to Windows Service

2»

Comments

• Sorin G & Evenserve,

Thanks for that confirmation Sorin G.

So I've now abandoned my brief fling with Kaspersky IS 2017 (it was fun while it lasted, but it was never going to be a long term thing :D) and I've reinstalled BD IS 2017, and prevented the BDMS service from starting. Now everything seems to be working as it should.

The odd thing is that unlike Evenserve, my Windows Action Centre correctly shows BD as providing AV, firewall and Spyware protection, and is therefore not showing any errors or warnings.

The other thing I've noticed is that some of the "Tools" do not work for me - specifically "Startup Organiser" and "Disk Cleanup". When I click on them nothing happens. That's not a problem for me as I don't actually use either tool.

Not sure if either of those things is relevant in any way, but it might help the devs.

Bye All.

• Hello,

/index.php?/profile/197676-splittingdis/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="197676" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/197676-splittingdis/" style="" rel="">@SplittingDis The Device Manager service affects the tools directly, its normal given the situation.

For the Action Center I've added steps in the previous post, it just needs a reset.

• 2 hours ago, Sorin G. said:

Hello,

/index.php?/profile/209355-evenserv/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="209355" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/209355-evenserv/" rel="">@Evenserv Thank you for the update, I was able to reproduce the issue on my testbeds and sent all the data to our devs.

Please also follow the steps in the article below to resolve the issue with the Action Center.

Thanks /index.php?/profile/201429-sorin-g/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="201429" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/201429-sorin-g/" rel="">@Sorin G. the Action Center issue is fixed on my side now.

• Georgia
    Georgia ✭✭✭

Dear all,

This bug is fixed in the latest product update released today for Bitdefender 2017. The new build version is 21.0.25.92 and requires a Windows restart.

Thank you all for your patience and the effort you put into solving this issue.

• Georgia, Sorin G, & Everyone,

Update applied and I can confirm that for me everything is now working as it should :D

Thanks to all involved.

• 4 hours ago, Georgia said:

Dear all,

This bug is fixed in the latest product update released today for Bitdefender 2017. The new build version is 21.0.25.92 and requires a Windows restart.

Thank you all for your patience and the effort you put into solving this issue.

Not for me I'm afraid. I updated Bitdefender, set "Bitdefender Device Manager Service" to Automatic, restarted my PC, and I got the error again.

Booted up in Safe Mode, disabled "Bitdefender Device Manager Service", rebooted and I'm okay again for now.

Should I perhaps have rebooted before changing the setting in Services.msc?

• With the new update for Bitdefender Total Security 2017 I still get the error message for my Desktop & Notebook running Windows 7 Pro 64-Bit.  Message in taskbar saying failed to connect to a windows service.

• SplittingDis
    edited May 2017

Hi All,

Just to confirm the steps I took following the release of the update........

Installed the update, set "Bitdefender Device Manager Service" to "Auto", rebooted and and all was OK.

As there may be a connection between this issue and the type of Windows user you Log In as, perhaps I should mention that I always Log In as "Administrator" rather than a "Standard User".

Regards.

• As a few others have reported, I still have the same error message after updating to the latest version and rebooting.  I then removed the program entirely using the Bitdefender 2017 uninstall tool and installed again from Bitdefender Central.  After performing an update and rebooting, the problem reappears....

• It looks like the issue hasn't been resolved across the board. I did exactly the same as /index.php?/profile/197676-splittingdis/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="197676" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/197676-splittingdis/" rel="">@SplittingDis , and I'm still getting the error, as are some others.

I've tried setting the "Bitdefender Device Manager Service"  to Auto again, but after I reboot, whether I log in as an Standard User or Administrator, I still get the error. The former of which prohibits me from logging in as usual.

• Nehephemet
    edited May 2017

3 hours ago, Evenserv said:

It looks like the issue hasn't been resolved across the board. I did exactly the same as /index.php?/profile/197676-splittingdis/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="197676" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/197676-splittingdis/" rel="">@SplittingDis , and I'm still getting the error, as are some others.

I've tried setting the "Bitdefender Device Manager Service"  to Auto again, but after I reboot, whether I log in as an Standard User or Administrator, I still get the error. The former of which prohibits me from logging in as usual.

I am facing the same using total security multi device 2017 on two different PC's all with windows 7, when logged as "admnin" I get the alert message of trouble with " service notification of events" and the task bar is grey like under Windows 95 and when trying to log as "standard user" I just see the problem with notification , impossible to log and then the screen turns black and nothing else happens, the PC keeps on running but nothing appears on the screen ?

• No joy. I still get the event service message and no Aero.

• Evenserv
    edited May 2017

4 hours ago, Nehephemet said:

I am facing the same using total security multi device 2017 on two different PC's all with windows 7, when logged as "admnin" I get the alert message of trouble with " service notification of events" and the task bar is grey like under Windows 95 and when trying to log as "standard user" I just see the problem with notification , impossible to log and then the screen turns black and nothing else happens, the PC keeps on running but nothing appears on the screen ?

Yes, that's exactly what I'm experiencing. Disabling the "Bitdefender Device Manager Service"  is the only fix that has worked thus far. Enabling it in any form results in the abovementioned issue.

• If you haven't already, you should probably contact support again and provide the requested diagnostic logs so they can hopefully finally resolve the problem.

• 7 hours ago, bruce said:

If you haven't already, you should probably contact support again and provide the requested diagnostic logs so they can hopefully finally resolve the problem.

Thanks Bruce, have done this at the same time I wrote my post of yesterday 30/05.

• Hello,

Sorry to hear that some of you are still encountering this issue.

Please try to update, allow it to finish and then reboot the machine. Do this 2-3 times and let me know if the issue still persists.

If the issue persists after following the above steps, please send me a private message with the logs from the Bitdefender Support Tool.

https://www.bitdefender.com/support/How-to-generate-a-support-log--1168.html

You can upload the file to a file storage website of your choosing.

• Evenserv
    edited May 2017

4 hours ago, Sorin G. said:

Hello,

Sorry to hear that some of you are still encountering this issue.

Please try to update, allow it to finish and then reboot the machine. Do this 2-3 times and let me know if the issue still persists.

If the issue persists after following the above steps, please send me a private message with the logs from the Bitdefender Support Tool.

https://www.bitdefender.com/support/How-to-generate-a-support-log--1168.html

You can upload the file to a file storage website of your choosing.

I really don't want to reboot my machine any more times than I have to. I have at least 5 connected drives at any given time which power cycle everytime I have to reboot.

You mentioned before that disabling the "Bitdefender Device Manager Service" service has no impact on the protection offered by the Bitdefender product line. I'd personally rather leave well enough alone until a definitive resolution is reached.

When all is said and done, the fact of the matter is, we're customers not bug testers, and all of these unnecessary reboot attempts is not doing our costly hardware any favours.

• You may need to reboot again to get your system working properly.  When I turned on my computer today, the error message was finally gone.  Before that I had rebooted at least several times with no success at all.  The only thing I did differently the last time is I disabled Bitdefender Device Management Service in msconfig to temporarily get rid of the error message.  After I re-enabled the service and rebooted today, my system is somehow mysteriously working.  I also update Bitdefender every time at startup.  Good luck to you....

• Thanks Bruce for your advice, after some reboot and may be  additionnal updates, for the moment I have not anymore the message about service of notification,

But now I have strange behaviour of the task bar under W7 due to the fact when booting and logging a standard user account (I have to check if similar with admin), all the shorcuts that were in the task bar have disappeared and from the time I click on the icon of the apli on the desktop, suddenly all the shortcuts that where present in the taskbar when I closed the PC appear again.

• A01
    A01
    edited June 2017

I can confirm that the problem is still there for non-admin users after the latest update from Bitdefender.

At least for Windows 7, 64bit.

I had this problem for about a week or so. Initially the problem would disappear by typing "netsh winsock reset" in command line as admin and then restarting the computer. Since today, however, this solution does not work anymore.

During this period with problems I even got the BSOD about 3 times. In at least 2 of these cases I had just waked up my laptop from sleep (I don't always turn it off).

The problem disappears when disabling the "Bitdefender Device Management Service".

However, I've noticed today that the problem also disappears after enabling back the "Bitdefender Device Management Service" + disabling ransomware protection.

So perhaps it's the ransomware protection module which causes all the problems?

I feel like WannaCry...

• Georgia
    Georgia ✭✭✭

Hello everyone,

The file that contains the fix is DevMgmtService.exe from C:\Program Files\Bitdefender\Bitdefender Device Management. Please right click on this file and select Properties, then go to Details. If the version is below 21.0.25.89, the file was not updated and this is why the issue still occurs on some computers. 

In such case you can uninstall only Bitdefender Device Management (from Control Panel > Uninstall a program) then reinstall the new version from here:

- for 64-bit Windows:  http://download.bitdefender.com/windows/desktop/connect/dm/2017/all/bitdefender_dm_21_64b.exe

- for 32-bit Windows:  http://download.bitdefender.com/windows/desktop/connect/dm/2017/all/bitdefender_dm_21_32b.exe

There won't be any on-screen instructions; the installation is performed silently. Wait a minute, then restart Windows and check if the issue is resolved.

If you encounter further issues, please let us know and we will be happy to assist you.