Microsoft Security Client Uninstall Issue - Windows 10

Hi There

I am currently running Windows 10 Pro v10.0.14393.

I am attempting to install Bitdefender Total Security 2018.

Upon Installation I receive the following message: "You need to uninstall other security solutions in order to install Bitdefender on your system. After uninstall, please restart your computer to proceed with the installation." After clicking the uninstall button, the loading symbol appears (indicating that the uninstallation is in progress), yet this has continued for over 24 hours.

I have attempted to reboot, manually search for the file, used 3rd party uninstaller tools etc but nothing seems to work.

I do not have MSE installed - only windows defender. I tried turning off all the settings, and even attempted deleting the file from the registry. Nothing works.

Please help!

(Screenshots attached)

Bitdefender issues.png

Comments

• Up...I have the same Problem.

• Sorin G.
    Sorin G.
    edited July 2017

Hello,

When upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10 sometimes it fails to remove MSE from the machine and you end-up with leftovers.

Please consult this thread as it has multiple ways of removing MSE from the machine.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/mse-protect_start/uninstall-security-essentials-for-windows-10/3317fffb-d4e9-49e2-aeae-7b9c4d5f22d3

Alternatively you can remove the registry entry as most likely there isn't anything left active on the machine :

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Microsoft Security Client

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Microsoft Security Essentials

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Microsoft Security Client

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Microsoft Security Essentials