Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Major Computer lag (stop) caused by "atc.sys"

Options
Maki711
Maki711 ✭✭
edited November 2017 in General

After almost few months of having major lags (almost complete computer stop), I finally found out the cause of it.

It is "atc.sys".

What is the problem?

The problem is that sometimes my CPU usage will spick up to 90%-100% for no reason, independent of program or actual task in foreground, be it a game for a program (ex.: Visual Studio) or just in Idle. 

The Task Manager would show that "System" would spick up. After Using "Process Explorer" I was able to view Threads that are being run inside of "System" process. With that I was able to see that multiple Threads with the Start Address "atc.sys+0x2634" with the TID: 452, 460, 436, 440, 448, 456, 464, 444 would spick up to 10%-12% or more of CPU usage. When added together and it would show the total number of "System" process CPU usage.

The usual "State" is "Waiting:Executive" and the usual "CSwitch Delta" is around "2" and CPU is less than "0.01" but sometimes, like mentioned above, it will go to 10%+ each, causing almost a full computer stop for 10 to 60 seconds.

Unfortunately I was not able to access the "Stack" yet for any of those mentioned threads, even using xperf or KernRate.

I still did not try Windows Performance Recorder to see exact problem.

Windows 7 Pro x64.

I saw an other Topic here with a similar problem and my "atc.sys" (BitDefender Active Threat Control Filesystem Minifilter) is on version "1.11.125.0" so that means that the problem is not fixed yet.

So, what now? How do I fix this?

bt.PNG

bt_2.PNG

Comments

• Well there goes my idea that it was a Windows 10 issue. Definitely seems to just be a problem with bitdefender.

• Maki711
    Options

Just now, SubSonix said:

Well there goes my idea that it was a Windows 10 issue. Definitely seems to just be a problem with bitdefender.

My Laptop with a Windows 8.1 doe not have this problem.

My 3rd PC with Windows 7 Pro x64 does not have that problem.

The only difference between my personal PC that has this problem and the other one is the GPU and motherboard.

• Do you think it might have started when bitdefender updated to 2018 version?

It seems that a lot of people are blaming that for things.

I'm still waiting too, and attempting to assist via email.

• Maki711
    Maki711 ✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Options

1 hour ago, SubSonix said:

Do you think it might have started when bitdefender updated to 2018 version?

It seems that a lot of people are blaming that for things.

I'm still waiting too, and attempting to assist via email.

Most likely. I would say too that this started since 2018 upgrade.

And I am still having the "Services not responding" bug...People here say that it is a visual bug but it makes me paranoid...

There are a lot of "small" bugs and problems with BitDefender products, slowly but sure it is starting to not be worth the money.

They should reduce the prices by 25% (permanent) or at least fix the problems faster...

Having an antivirus program with bugs and problems is really bad. This program should protect us, not cause problems...

• I had no other issues with it personally, just this atc.sys for a few months.

I've been using Bitdefender for years and couldn't be happier.

Nothing's perfect, but I'm sure they can fix it. :)

• Maki711
    Options

6 hours ago, SubSonix said:

I had no other issues with it personally, just this atc.sys for a few months.

I've been using Bitdefender for years and couldn't be happier.

Nothing's perfect, but I'm sure they can fix it. :)

From time to time (mostly right after a bit update) there would be some bugs with some of the tools they provide inside of BD, for an example Firewall, had problems with it for some time now but thanks god it was fixed.

But like I said, I am still having "Services not responding" bug and I am still having very big problems with "anti-theft" function on mobile phones (the BD app it self cannot be locked with "BD applock" function!!! How in the is this useful ??? Why is this even possible??? And the dashboard is useless, I have been trying to send LOCK to my phone for some time now and nothing, I either get "cannot send the lock something" message or just nothing happens. The only 1 think that is working 80% of the time is the LOCATE, everything else: useless.)