How to stop scanning attached devices

When installing I mistakenly allowed Bit Defender to scan external devices which only contain Clones of the main device  (Carbon Copy Cloner) and Time Machine backups.  Old data on these drives are not a threat and it is finding tons of stuff in static archives going back years.

How can I exclude these devices so that I do not get all these unnecessary warnings and incredibly long first scan times.

Comments

• I think I may have discovered the answer: Go to Exceptions and add the drive to the exceptions list.  Am I correct?

• Nope.  Did not work.  Even though I used the instructions to exclude the volume, it is still being scanned.  I even tried rebooting to see if that would resolve it.

Suggestions?

Screen Shot 2020-01-01 at 2.15.59 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-01-01 at 2.13.31 PM.png

• Hello /index.php?/profile/218141-kleeberg/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="218141" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/218141-kleeberg/" rel="">@kleeberg,

Please attempt to add an exception for the same path displayed in the scan, that being: /System/Volumes/Data/Volumes/Pro SSD TM

Let me know if the detection occurs after doing so.

• Kleeberg
    Kleeberg
    edited January 2020

I notices this too and sent this in to support (Ticket# 2019123121130001).  Catalina creates the extra /Volumes/Data/Volumes/[DriveName] to the path so that merely dragging and dropping the volume into the exceptions window no longer works with this OS.  This was well documented in Carbon Copy Cloner.  Seems to indicate that your software and/or documentation needs updating.

The question I have now is that it seems only Drag and Drop or selection from a window works.  The hidden path does not appear in the UI.  How do I custom add the new path to the exceptions?  I have tried every way to do it in the standard OS.  Is there a way to do it in terminal?

• Kleeberg
    Kleeberg
    edited January 2020

Drag and drop exceptions no longer work in Catalina.  Drag and drop creates the exception for  /Volumes/[attached_device] while the real path in Catalina is /System/Volumes/Data/Volumes/[attached_Device]

I have yet to find a way to enter this path.  The only way I know is to drag and drop which with over.a year of TimeMacinie and CarbonCopyCloner data on the drive meant over 20Million files scanned with thousands of drag and drop exceptions is untenable.

One of my old Macs is providing backed-up clones of 13 devices.  After several days I decided to stop the system scan on this device.

Is there a way using terminal for me to be able to correctly enter these path names as exceptions?

BTW, not allowing access to attached devices at the initial set up OR of flipping the switch which said to ignore time machine backups made no difference.

• Same problem with BigSur. Quick scan does not include the Time Machine backups but the full scan does. Exception did not resolve the problem. Not much problem solving seems to be going on at BitDefender regarding this seemingly common problem.