Automatic updates-AV for Mac

This will register my complaint that "automatic update"  now appears to be the only option for updating AV for Mac. Until recently I had the option during a manual update to review what BD was pushing out to my system. Now, updates are automatic and anonymous so I have no clue what you are pushing to my system. It seems: "BD will install on client systems whatever BD chooses, whether the client agrees or not"....and please don't respond by quoting "Terms and Conditions of Service" or the EULA, to justify this policy change.

In my view the removal of the manual-update option was gross overreach by BD. This change was implemented covertly and is therefore  unacceptable. I am requesting common sense prevail and that manual-update functionality be restored to AV for Mac.

Comments

• Hello /index.php?/profile/216425-johnv/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="216425" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/216425-johnv/" rel="">@johnv,

The option to update Antivirus for Mac manually can be found by following the steps below:

• Open Bitdefender

• Click Actions in the top menu bar of your Mac.

• Click Update Threat Information Database.

Alternatively, you can use the Command keyboard combination while Bitdefender Antivirus for Mac is open.

• Hi Alex and thanks for the response.

I'm aware of the routine you described. Point is, every time I try this, the app says: "Antivirus for Mac is up to date". When I look in Notifications there is a record confirming automatic updates completed at 1-2 hour intervals. I need to know how to turn-off automatic updates and revert to on-demand updates. Please advise.

• Hello /index.php?/profile/216425-johnv/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="216425" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/216425-johnv/" rel="">@johnv,

There has never been an option to disable the automatic updates in Bitdefender. Bitdefender will check for updates hourly.

The only way to stop the automatic updates is to stop the Bitdefender Shield, meaning that the real-time protection of the product will be turned off as well.

• Hello again Alex,

I have the Bitdefender Shield turned-off on all my installations. Nevertheless automatic updates continue to be provided

Screen Shot 2020-01-10 at 4.20.59 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-01-10 at 4.20.39 PM.png

• Ever since I installed Bitdefender on my Mac, the update frequency has been bothering me. I recently upgraded my Mac with a new SSD and I've been monitoring the disk writes for a while. It striking to see that shortly after booting, Bitdefender has written a few GBs of data! Looking for answers I found out that it updates hourly and on the Mac there is no way to change it.

I really think it should be possible to disable the automatic updates or at least change the update interval. The settings menu that I see in the Windows version is completely missing in the Mac version. It really feels like the Mac version is crippled. Fun fact: not every Mac user is an idiot who shouldn't be bothered with config options.

886043724_Screenshot2020-01-13at13_28_52.png.4ae200ffb3074ce9899a28f35e7ca819.png

Are there any configuration files to be found where I can edit update behavior settings? So far I can't say I'm very happy with this software.

• Ok, found something. Check out /Library/Preferences/com.bitdefender.antivirusformac.plist

<key>upd_automatic</key>

<false/>

Changed true into false. So far it seems not to update. 

• Hello /index.php?/profile/216425-johnv/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="216425" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/216425-johnv/" rel="">@johnv

We would like to investigate the situation you have encountered with the data consumption caused by the Bitdefender updates. Kindly email us at bitsy@bitdefender.com and reply to this thread with the ticket number that you'll receive as an automatic reply to your mail.