Integration with Dual Wan Router

Hello, I already have a Bitdefender Box 2 and was hoping to install one in a friend's house. The problem is we have them on a dual wan router so they can have a backup connection. The layout is this: DSL modem and Satellite modem go into a TP-Link TL-R480T+ router that load balances the connections and then goes to a 24-port switch. How could I install the Bitdefender box in this setup? Would I have to buy two and put them in between each modem and the router? I wouldn't think that would work, but I'd like to hear your suggestions. Thanks for the help!

Comments

• Flexx
    Flexx DEFENDER OF THE YEAR 2023 / DEFENDER OF THE MONTH ✭✭✭✭✭ mod

Hi There,

Sorry for the issue you are facing.

To get help regarding the box, kindly contact the bitdefender box department by visiting below link. You will get chat and email support option. The staff may be limited due to covid19 due to which response time may be delayed

https://www.bitdefender.com/box/support/

If this helps, kindly click on agree.

Regards

Flex

Life happens, Coffee helps!

Show your Attitude, when you reach that Altitude!

Bitdefender Ultimate Security Plus (user)

• Mrodz71
    Mrodz71
    edited July 2020

@Collin

Sorry if this is too late. Would love to hear how it turned out either way.

I've done something similar. As long as your total expected throughput is less than a gig, it should be pretty simple, as long as you're OK with double-natting. Connect the Box to a router port. The box will get a private ip from the router via dhcp. You could also do a static private ip to the box. Connect the Box LAN port to the switch. Connect everything else to the switch. Create a dhcp pool in Box that is different from the dual wan router. More than likely, the default in Box will already be different. If you're you're using a separate AP to provide wifi, it is also connected to the switch but needs to be in bridge mode so Box can assign ip's. Everything should work like a champ. Since the Box is sitting on a private network behind the dual isp connections, you won't need to worry about having separate boxes.

A few tips:

1. The above will work but if you want to get every last ounce of throughout, place the tp-link router interface for Box in DMZ private mode. This will let everything pass through the router uninspected. This assumes you are willing to trust box to do all the protecting. I haven't had a single issue in 2 years. The benefit is a reduction in latency and increase in throughput since only one firewall is inspecting traffic

2. For anything behind the box, aka home devices, set up port forwarding in box for things like gaming consoles.

3. I previously had a ps4 directly connected to the router, with port forwarding enabled, in order to give the console a shot at more available bandwidth. It wasn't a tp-link router but for some reason performance was worse than if I just connected it to the Box and enabled port forwarding. You could try it but I would try the above first. I have 3 teenagers, their friends and a ton of streaming devices, a ps4 and a gaming computer, along with all my video conferences and when I finally sent everything through the box, my performance woes disappeared. Counterintuitive, I know, but it worked.

4. Just to rephrase some of the above: every rule the tp-link has tk handle, like firewalling, qos, etc., has an impact on overall performance. Start simple and tweak from there.

Performance wise, The Box 2 defies logic since getting this type of performance and throughput with security services typically requires much more expensive devices. I imagine they have some proprietary qos policies based on applications. Whatever it is, my network hums and I can hit near gig speeds on wired devices behind it.

Hope this helps you or someone else.