Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Box 2 Gigabit Support - Slow Throughput

I just upgraded to gigabit internet and my Box 2 appears to be slowing my wireless speed by about half (650 to 350 mbps). Here's my setup:

Cox panoramic modem set to bridge mode - Box 2 - Asus ZenWifi AX in AP mode

All devices are connected with Wifi 6 ethernet cables. When I connect my modem directly to my router and put it in router mode the speed is significantly faster as noted. Bitdefender claims that the Box 2 can support gigabit speeds. I'm assuming that would mean that it's transferring at a similar speed that it's receiving from the modem via ethernet to the router (I realize there may be a small speed loss). However, this does not appear to be the case. Is my Box working correctly? I've resorted to pulling it from my setup but would really like to use it again if it didn't throttle the speed so much.

Answers

• Flexx
    Flexx DEFENDER OF THE YEAR 2023 / DEFENDER OF THE MONTH ✭✭✭✭✭ mod

Hi Member

Kindly drop an email to bitdefender support at bitsy@bitdefender.com & wait for their reply. Replies may be delayed due to less staff and covid19.

If this helps, kindly mark the answer as accepted/ agree.

Regards

Flex

(Bitdefender beta tester 2019/ 2020)

Life happens, Coffee helps!

Show your Attitude, when you reach that Altitude!

Bitdefender Ultimate Security Plus (user)

• Thank you. I contacted Bitdefender support and all I was told was that the Box was operating normally and that the discrepancy was due to variations in wifi. I don't understand this explanation since everything is connected via ethernet and the only variable I changed was adding and removing the Box.

• Flexx

Hi Member,

Sorry for the unsatisfactory response. This is to inform you that if you have received above stated your response from support team, there is nothing else anyone can do in this case.

Still, I will tag Bitdefender staff on the forum to see if they can help @Alex D. @Andy_BD

Regards

Flex

• I don't understand how I can have 15 or so 5 gig wifi devices, and 4 hard cabled 1G NICs through a switch using 1 gig uplink?

The Bitdefender Box 2 has one 1 Gig uplink to the WAN router. I use massive amount of broadband.

Speed test using Bitdefender = 40-50 mbps down, Bypassing Bitdefendor = 201 mbps

A reduction by 2 /3 by using Bitdefender Box. This is unacceptable.

Can the wifi be set as an extender and the hard connections separate to reduce a choke point at the WAN connection.

Any plans for a 10G NIC WAN port?

John

• Flexx
    edited May 2020

Hi Member,

I would like to inform you that Bitdefender forum provides only limited support. It is requested to share your concerned issue/ additional information on the same ticket that you had originally created while contacting the bitdefender support.

What additionally I can do is that I can provide you with the contact of the support team that only handles the issue related to Bitdefender Box. You have a chat option as well as online forum to register your query. Below is the link -

https://www.bitdefender.com/box/support/

Regards

Flex

• Mrodz71
    Mrodz71
    edited July 2020

@JPowell19 @JSH

I have ATT Gigafiber. It's not a modem, but I went through some similar challenges. Along the way, I also saw comments about issues with Panoramic. Today, my network runs behind a Box 2. I have a combination of wired devices behind switches and use Netgear Orbi for wifi. I'm able to achieve near gig throughout on the wired devices as well as running Orbi's speedtest. I've seen speedtests for my wireless devices north of 600mbps and consistently in the 400's on my wifi 5 network.

That being said, sometimes it's the combination of devices, along with silly firmware issues that turn out to be the culprit. That was the case with me. When all was said and done, I ended up using my gateway as a router set to dmz and had it pass a public IP to my Box 2. Throughout went through the roof.

Assuming your Panoramic is actually, the modem/router/wifi combo, a few things come to mind but read through anyway:

1. I saw an issue where a panoramic bridge user still had dhcp enabled on the modem and for some reason, the modem was still trying to participate at layer 3 even though it should be smart enough to know better. If it's on, turn it off and reset both devices.

2. If any other unnecessary features exist in the Panoramic, like hotspot, are checked then unselected them. Sounds unrelated, but shouldn't be on either way.

3. Ensure the client dhcp pool on the Box 2 is on a different network than what Box is receiving from Spectrum.

4. Turn off all wifi radios other than Asus.

5. If all else fails, try setting up the modem as a router and assign the Box to a DMZ using public addressing. Then, hard set the box ip to the modem/router ip. Also, regardless of what the modem says the gateway and subnet are, use the ip as the base for the gateway. So, if the ip is 99.9.9.77, make the gateway 99.9.9.1. The subnet should be 255.255.255.0 .

6. Last but not least, if you're only using the Panoramic as a modem, it might be worth investing in your own modem only device.

Regarding the single 1g uplink into the Box, it's not different than the single 1g uplink to Spectrum. There's more to it, but it's not typically going to be a chokepoint. Each device and its applications will not saturate each individual 1g link except in specific instances like speed testing. Even then, speedtest is using multiple connections/sessions to attempt saturation. That being said, ensure speedtest is set to "multi" and not "single".

Hope this helps.

• I’m having the same issue. I should be on a 500 mb/s link and I rarely achieve the max speed but regularly obtain speeds in excess of 150mb/s last year. After they auto renew I decided to reconnect the bitdefender box after disconnecting it last year due to speed reduction with it in place which was restored with the box removed. This year after reconnecting the box after about a day or two I’m back down to sub 100mb/s speeds. Are you using the boxes to create the VPN? If so that would explain speeds tanking, as the ISPs will throttle high throughput users. If this is the case however, you need to be open about that as I don’t subscribe to the VPN service as far as I can tell