Antivirus free fails installation

Dr_EVLDr_EVL
edited August 2020 in Antivirus

I've tried multiple times to install the Bitdefender antivirus free edition on a Win10 desktop that used to run Bitdefender Antivirus Plus. I did a normal uninstall of the original bitdefender product. In the course of troubleshooting, I also ran the 6 different bitdefender uninstall tools. Also rebooted into safe mode and deleted all files from Temp, %temp%, and prefetch; as well as any bitdefender folders in Program Files, Program Files (x86), ProgramData, and AppData/Local. Still getting the following result:

Running the bitdefender_online.exe install starts the Bitdefender agent which appears to download the 409MB worth of files OK. But then the installation complains that Bitdefender Agent is detected:

Looking in the Program Files directory or add/remove Programs at this point shows that Bitdefender Agent has indeed been installed. After pressing continue, I'm informed a Reboot is required. After reboot, the installer automatically continues, but throws an error that the Bitdefender product agent was not found:

Looking in the Program Files directory or add/remove Programs at this point shows that Bitdefender Agent has been removed.

Would appreciate any troubleshooting tips you might have to get this installed. Thanks for your time.

Comments

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.