TrafficLight for Firefox v3.1.3 - No Search Advisor Icons in Google Searches

I have the Bitdefender TrafficLight for Firefox v3.1.3 extension (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/trafficlight/) installed in my Firefox v81.0.1 browser. I recently noticed that Search Advisor does not work when I search with Google in my Firefox browser (i.e., the green/yellow/red site rating icons are not displayed in my Google search results).  The problem occurs when I search at both google.ca (I live in Canada so this is my default search engine) and google.com. I am not sure if this is relevant, but I updated to the current Firefox v81.0.1 on 01-Oct-2020 (see the release notes at https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/81.0.1/releasenotes/), which is about the same time I noticed that my Search Advisor site rating icons were missing from my Google search results.

Please note that Search Advisor appears to work correctly if I search with other search engines like Bing or DuckDuckGo from my Firefox browser.

I’ve confirmed that Search Advisor is enabled in the extension settings and tried removing / re-installing the TrafficLight for Firefox extension but this didn't help.  The TrafficLight icon still appears in my browser toolbar when I browse to individual pages (see image below) so the Web Protection feature still appears to be working.

-------------

64-bit Win 10 Pro v1909 build 18363.1082 * Firefox 81.0.1 * Bitdefender TrafficLight v3.1.3

Dell Inspiron 5584, Intel i5-8265U@1.60/1.80 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB NVMe SSD, Intel UHD Graphics 620

Best Answer

• lmacri
    lmacri
    edited October 2020 Answer ✓

Just an FYI that the Search Advisor site rating icons have reappeared in my Google search results since my Bitdefender TrafficLight for Firefox extension was updated to v3.1.4 on 12-Oct-2020.  There are no comments posted in the change log at https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/trafficlight/versions/ to explain what bugs were fixed in v3.1.4.

The latest Bitdefender TrafficLight v3.1.4 also seems to be blocking the AMTSO phishing protection test page at https://www.amtso.org/check-desktop-phishing-page/ today so the Search Advisor issue appears to be fixed.

------------

64-bit Win 10 Pro v1909 build 18363.1082 * Firefox 81.0.1 * Windows Defender 4.18.2009.7 * Bitdefender TrafficLight 3.1.4

Answers

• Flexx
    Flexx DEFENDER OF THE YEAR 2023 / DEFENDER OF THE MONTH ✭✭✭✭✭ mod

Hi Member,

As I can see I have already answered your query in the other post.

You will be unable to find any response that will help, if you will create new post regarding same issue. Instead all the people who are having or may be using the traffic light extension and facing the same issue will comment on the same post. This will only create a havoc and no resolution will be provided.

If you require a genuine resolution to your query you should always contact bitdefender support directly and if they provide you with the reason or solution then you can post it on the forum so that other people can indeed get benefit from it.

Kindly drop an email to bitdefender support at bitsy@bitdefender.com .They will reply back in maximum of 72 hours excluding saturday & sunday.

Regards

Flex

(Bitdefender beta tester 2019/ 2020)

Life happens, Coffee helps!

Show your Attitude, when you reach that Altitude!

Bitdefender Ultimate Security Plus (user)

• Hi Flexx:

I saw your 10-Oct-2020 reply in blaxxz's No Search Advisor Anymore? but it doesn't really address my concerns.

As you suggested, I tested the anti-phishing feature in Bitdefender TrafficLight for Firefox v3.1.3 today and anti-phishing also seems to be broken when I test with my Firefox v81.0.1 browser.

To test, I disabled all my Firefox v81.0.1 browser extensions except Bitdefender TrafficLight v3.1.3, and TrafficLight failed the anti-phishing test on the AMTSO Phishing Protection Test page at https://www.amtso.org/check-desktop-phishing-page/ as shown below.  Bitdefender is a member of the AMTSO (Anti-Malware Testing Standards Organization - see https://www.amtso.org/members/) so this webpage should be blocked if anti-phishing is working correctly in TrafficLight. My old 13-Jun-2019 image in the Norton forum thread Glitch with New FF Safe Web 3.8.0.6 on FF 52.9.0 shows how TrafficLight should behave on that test page when TrafficLight anti-phishing is working normally.

Norton is also a member of AMTSO, and the image below is what I saw when I installed Norton Safe Web for Firefox v3.13.0.15 , disabled all other browser extensions, and then visited that same AMTSO anti-phishing test page at https://www.amtso.org/check-desktop-phishing-page/.

I don't normally use Norton Safe Web for Firefox since the site rating icons don't appear in Google search results if you use Firefox as a default browser, but Norton Safe Web for Chrome is one possible replacement replacement for the Search Advisor feature in Bitdefender'sTrafficLight extension if you use Chrome as your default browser. It's probably not a coincidence that Chrome / Norton Safe Web for Chrome v3.11.6.2 users recently reported that site rating icons had disappeared in their Google search results (see Brocktoon's 01-Oct-2020 thread Norton Safe Web Google Chrome Search Check Marks for one example) but the problem was fixed a few days later when Norton Safe Web for Chrome v3.13.0.15 was released on 05-Oct-2020.

-------------

64-bit Win 10 Pro v1909 build 18363.1082 * Firefox 81.0.1 * Windows Defender 4.18.2008.9 * Bitdefender TrafficLight 3.1.3

Dell Inspiron 5584, Intel i5-8265U@1.60/1.80 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB NVMe SSD, Intel UHD Graphics 620

• Flexx

Hi member,

If you will check the amtso website, the phishing page test under windows category is not blocked by trafficlight but the android phishing test page is blocked by trafficlight. This means the phishing protection is working, but for the windows one, it seems that trafficlight database is not updated, and the link needs to be shared with malware research team.

The link I provided you was of the phishtank[.]com website, which has a collection of genuine phishing websites and get updated on constant intervals. Try the real world phishing test against trafficlight for proper confirmation. The phishtank[.]com website will not download any malware on your PC and neither you need to add any credentials on those phishing website. My purpose is to make you understand that instead of using the testing website kindly try the trafficlight against real world phishing websites.

And if any link that is not detected by trafficlight even on phishtank website, that does not means that trafficlight is not working. It simply means that a block has not been created for that specific website and that particular website needs to be shared with malware research team.

NOTE : Even if 1 website is also blocked by the trafficlight that means the extension is working properly. Because if the extension would not have worked, then it would not have been able to block any of the websites.

Regards

Flex

• Hi Flexx:

Are you able to view blaxxz's thread No Search Advisor Anymore? I wanted to post an update there about the AMTSO test page but whenever I try to browse to that thread I get a "Permission Problem You don't have permission to do that" error. I can't even see that thread listed in blaxxz's profile at https://community.bitdefender.com/en/profile/discussions/blaxxz.

• Flexx

No, I am also not able to see that post anymore. Most probably the post has been deleted by bitdefender staff or forum administrator. You can contact them for more information.

Regards

Flex