Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

secure connection failed

Options
mikepb
mikepb
edited January 2022 in General Topics

Recently, a few days ago, I started to get the "An error occurred during a connection to www.mtcfederal.com. PR_CONNECT_RESET_ERROR".

I tried connecting with "EDGE" but got the same error. I can connect to this website on my smart phone using google.

Can anyone tell me how to fix this problem? This is the only website that I have this problem with.

Thanks.

Comments

• Same problem here

any help much appriciated

• Also same problem here

Please help

• Calfi
    Options

I am experiencing this problem too (April 2023). Has anyone managed to find out the problem and how to fix it, please.

• Alexandru_BD
    Alexandru_BD admin
    edited April 2023
    Options

Hello @Calfi,

Are you using a VPN connection or Safepay when accessing the website and is it the same website as the one mentioned in the above comments? Is it a banking site?

Regards

Premium Security & Bitdefender Endpoint Security Tools user

• December 2023 - what is the solution to this problem?

I have a public IP address and want to access devices on my LAN via the public IP.

I have tried opening ports on port 80 and port 443 - https and http.

Error code: PR_CONNECT_RESET_ERROR - comes all the time

• Alexandru_BD
    Options

Hello @Columbine,

This error can be caused by a variety of factors, including network connectivity issues, server configuration problems, or security issues. It's a common error message that occurs in network applications when a client sends a request to a server, but the server unexpectedly terminates the connection before the request is completed.

A quick search over the internet revealed that a common cause of this error is server configuration problems. This can include misconfigured firewalls or proxy servers, issues with the server software itself, or other problems related to the server’s configuration. For example, if the server is configured to use SSL certificates, but the certificates are not properly configured, you may experience connection reset errors when trying to connect to the server.

Security issues can also cause connection reset errors. This can include problems with SSL certificates, which can cause the connection to be terminated if the certificate is invalid or has expired. Or even security settings, such as firewalls or security software, can also cause connection reset errors if they are misconfigured or are blocking the connection.

Diving deeper into the possible causes, the error can occur in various situations and scenarios besides the ones mentioned above. Here are a few examples:

1. Timeouts: A timeout is a scenario where the server takes too long to respond to a request from the client, causing the client to close the connection prematurely. This can result in a “pr_connect_reset_error” being thrown.
    2. DNS issues: DNS (Domain Name System) issues can also cause the “pr_connect_reset_error”. If the client is unable to resolve the domain name to an IP address, it will not be able to connect to the server, resulting in the error.
    3. Load balancing issues: Load balancing is a technique used to distribute incoming network traffic across multiple servers. If load balancing is misconfigured or not working correctly, the client may experience connection reset errors when trying to connect to the server.
    4. Server overload: If the server is overloaded with too many requests, it may not be able to handle incoming requests from clients, resulting in the “pr_connect_reset_error”.
    5. Network congestion: Network congestion can occur when there is too much traffic on the network, causing packets to be dropped or delayed. This can result in the “pr_connect_reset_error” being thrown.

Assuming that Bitdefender is indeed causing this error, the first thing to check would be the firewall, as this can sometimes block the connection between the website and the browser. Temporarily disable the Bitdefender firewall and try to access the website. If the website loads, then the firewall settings might be blocking the connection. Change the firewall settings to allow access to the website. You can find out a quick guide on the firewall here:

The antivirus software may indeed cause the error, because the set of security protocols can sometimes interfere with the browser's connection to a website. But to find out exacty what security module might be causing this, you'll have to temporarily disable them one by one from the UI. You can find the steps on how to do this here:

I hope the information is useful.

And yes, it's December 2023 and Christmas is just around the corner again. 😁

Regards,

Alex

• @Alexandru_BD

Thank you for a careful and in-depth answer to my question.

I should have just mentioned that the devices I want to reach on my LAN are kind of "dumb". One is an inverter for my solar cells and the other is an energy meter. As far as I know, it is "only" an API interface and there is also no "certificate" sent from them. So it's a bit uphill.

Is there a browser that has some kind of URL "whitelist"?

Best Regards C.

• Alexandru_BD
    Options

Hi,

You are most welcome. But, there should be an IP address, right? I would still recommend to play a bit with the firewall settings and modules, to find out exactly if the antivirus is preventing the connection. This may reveal what are the next steps, maybe setting up a firewall rule both ways or adding that url as an exception for the OTP or if there's an actual app, to set an ATD exclusion for the .exe.

I'm sorry but I'm unfamilliar with solar cells inverters and energy meters and I don't really know if any of this will help or if the antivirus is indeed the culprit here.. 😅

Regards

• Columbine
    edited December 2023
    Options

@Alexandru_BD

Fair enough, about knowledge with inverters etc. 😉

Yes, they have RJ45 inputs and network cards, so I have assigned them fixed IP addresses. Nothing with assigned via DHCP.

I got a new ISP and therefore also a new router, so I also suspected it.

BUT! now I have uninstalled the Bitdefender + VPN part, deleted TMP and cache etc.

Reinstalled Bitdefender + VPN and NOW! does it all work again..... I don't know what the reason is, but I don't want to waste any more time on that. 😎

I think it will probably be a good Christmas again this year 🎅

Thanks for the input and good luck in the future

BR C.

• Alexandru_BD
    Options

I'm glad to hear that, well done and thanks for following up. 😉👍️

Yes, sometimes a basic reinstall oddly fixes things.

Merry Christmas and best wishes,

Alex