Bitdefender on Big Sur and New MacBook Pro with M1

markbyrnmarkbyrn ✭✭

Got a new MacBook Pro with the M1 chip and was surprised to find that Bitdefender worked quite well. In fact, even though it's running in emulation under Rosetta 2, it's snappy (more so on my older Intel Macs) and it immediately detected and removed test malware. There was a warning of a blocked extension during install (likely a Big Sur issue) but didn't seem to cause any problems so far. Hope to see an update down the road so it runs natively.

Tagged:

Comments

• Any update on when Bitdefender will be native Silicon/M1?

• I can confirm that there are problems. The Bitdefender BDLDaemon and BDLUpdate don't release memory on Apple M1 with Big Sur. So the memory usage creeps up during the day. I have BD memory usage of 2GB on an 8GB M1 Air which is unacceptable. I tested this with Bitdefender support and it is related to the M1 architecture. They are already aware of the issue. I checked this with another Apple Mac running intel on Big Sur and memory usage stayed consistent at about 400MB. I was told that they are working on a fix.

• Hello,

It was 10 days ago, any news ?

• How is it that Bitdefender is not ready for this. They've had a minimum of 6 months prior to release to get their software working with Apple Silicon. Are they going to provide partial refunds? ? I paid for a year and now I'm going to lose like 6 months of it because they're not ready??

• Bitdefender Endpoint for Mac support for Apple M1 FAQ

What future plans, if any, are there to add this compatibility to Bitdefender Endpoint for Mac?

We are currently working on adding compatibility with this processor. The first compatible version will contain support for Antimalware, Device Control, Content Control, and Encryption features. Support for other components will be added in a later update during Q2 2021.

When do you expect to launch this update?

The first compatible version of Bitdefender Endpoint Security for Mac with Apple M1 will be released at the beginning of March 2021.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.