Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Does Bitdefender do anything at all?

RonWeasley
edited March 2022 in Mobile Security

I've recently signed up and installed on an Oppo Find X3 Pro with Android 12.

I get no notifications (other than the one saying it is running, which us always on) under any circumstances, despite all notifications being on, not set to silent and accessibility being enabled. Web protection turns itself off regularly (and NEVER warns me - which surely you would hope it did!), despite battery optimization being disabled.

Nothing happens when I visit a common banking login. (Any banking login). Nor does anything happen when I visit a virus test site. My router threw up a warning, but when trying over 5G, Bitdefender did nothing.

I have literally no clue whether there is any protection happening at all. Is this normal???

For example, what is supposed to happen if you try to login to online banking using Chrome? Anything?

Am I supposed to get notifications when web protection gets switched off? Or indeed any other notifications? I have them enabled for the lock screen, banner and everywhere else, including vibration and sound and after 1 week of use, have seen none.

Answers

• OK, after further fiddling about with notification settings, and turning literally everything I could think of ON, I finally got a notification when the web protection turned itself off again.

So still no idea whether I am getting any protection at all, but at least one notification seems to work. I've enabled showing notifications on the lock screen as well however, and I've still not seen any there.

• Hello @RonWeasley,

Do you get the message "Web Protection got disabled by another service. Turn it on to get online protection?"

If you are encountering this, check the article below for a workaround and let us know if it helps:

If Web Protection keeps turning off on Android, allow Bitdefender Mobile Security in Accessibility and exclude the app in battery saving options.

Best regards.

Premium Security & Bitdefender Endpoint Security Tools user

• And what to do if the Accesibility keeps regurarly turning itself off? Bitdefender is excluded from all battery optimization systems and everything else i found in interney. Samsung Galaxy phone, all apps updated, Android 14 and no apps from out of Google store, no root or custom settings. The notification is "Protection features have been disabled by the system. Turn them back on tonstay safe."

• garioch7
    garioch7 Defender of the month ✭✭✭✭✭

@Anca25 ,

This is an old topic relating to a different issue from that which you are reporting.

@Alexandru_BD , could you please have a look and perhaps unmerge this post from this topic and open a new topic?

Have a great day.

Regards,

Phil

Former Bleeping Computer Malware Response Instructor

• Flexx
    Flexx DEFENDER OF THE YEAR 2023 / DEFENDER OF THE MONTH ✭✭✭✭✭ mod

Double-check Accessibility settings:

• Open Settings > Accessibility > Downloaded services.
    • Ensure Bitdefender Mobile Security is toggled on.
    • Tap on Bitdefender Mobile Security and confirm all permissions are granted, especially Draw over other apps.

Review Power Management:

• Go to Settings > Battery and device care > Optimize battery use.
    • Check if Bitdefender Mobile Security is listed under Apps not optimized. If not, add it to the list to exclude it from battery optimization.
    • Alternatively, if Bitdefender Mobile Security is listed under Apps not optimized, try removing it and then re-adding it to see if that makes a difference.

Disable conflicting applications:

• Some other apps, particularly screen readers or launchers, might conflict with Bitdefender's accessibility. Try temporarily disabling any such apps to see if the issue persists.

Investigate system updates:

• Check for any pending system updates on your Samsung Galaxy phone. Installing the latest updates might resolve underlying bugs causing the accessibility issue.

If issue persists, kindly contact Bitdefender support by visiting https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/

Based on your selected product and the type of issue you're facing, you can get in touch with a support representative through email, chat, or a phone call.

If you choose email, you will receive a ticket number on your registered email. The support team will reply within the next 24-48 hours, excluding weekends.

Also, @agozob can have a look into this for you.

Regards

Life happens, Coffee helps!

Show your Attitude, when you reach that Altitude!

Bitdefender Ultimate Security Plus (user)

• Hello,

@garioch7 by the looks of it, I think Anca's comment is indeed related to Web Protection turning off on Android and if the steps from this article don't help, it's probably a good idea to reach out to the Bitdefender engineers and ask them to take a closer look. This is a known issue where Mobile Security’s Web Protection feature is constantly being disabled on some Android phones and tablets..

The Web Protection feature in Bitdefender Mobile Security for Android keeps turning off because the device is using Power Saving mode to save battery, which stops the running apps.

A large part of the bonus features of smartphones revolves around battery life and performance optimization. It is for this reason that vendors are packing battery-saving features with each Android release. But some optimization mechanisms are too aggressive and kill useful background apps when the screen turns off to maximize your smartphone’s battery life. This impacts most of the apps that run in the background. Most affected are 3rd party alarm clocks, automation apps, and especially apps that need to work even when you are not actively using your smartphone. The latter category also includes Bitdefender’s Web Protection. Web Protection loses the Accessibility permission required to function properly when the Android system force stops background applications.

As a result, an alert has been implemented to warn users that another service has disabled Web Security and it needs to be re-enabled. More context on this topic can be found at the link below:

https://dontkillmyapp.com/samsung

Regards,

Alex

Premium Security & Bitdefender Endpoint Security Tools user