Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Bitdefender Total Security overheating computer after update today

Options

Bitdefender updated engine at 7:22 AM Pacific time according to Product Information in About. After 8 am, I noticed that the computer case fans were running at high speed. Normally I can't even hear my case fans except when an AV scan is running and even then it is not as loud as today.

In Task Manager, one bdservicehost was using up to 58% of my CPU (AMD 7-5800X), 50% Disk usage (Samsung 980 Pro 1 TB NVMe) and 23% of my 32 GB memory. A scheduled scan had run about an hour earlier, but no scans were now running. I went into Bitdefender settings and set Bitdefender Shield to off, but that made no difference in cpu/memory or Disk usage.

Turning off the computer and leaving it off for about 30 minutes, then turning it back on and all is now normal operation. I did note that almost immediately after computer restart, Bitdefender downloaded a new update: heurinc.exc per the log.

Hope this is the end of this problem.

Comments

• Gjoksi
    Gjoksi DEFENDER OF THE YEAR 2022 / DEFENDER OF THE MONTH ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hello.

I also noticed that today. My laptop was overheating, all apps and files were opening very slowly, in other words everything was running slowly.

Then, i did a scan and no threats were found.

Since nothing elese could be done, i restarted my laptop and suprisingly the problem has gone. From that moment, everything runs smoothly and faster as it should be.

My guess is that it has something to do with the latest threat database and program build. Whatever, the problem has now been solved.

Advice for all other users: IF YOU'RE EXPERIENCING THE SAME ISSUE WITH THE LATEST THREAT DATABASE AND PROGRAM BUILD, ESPECIALLY WITH THE PROGRAM BUILD, YOU SHOULD DO A DEVICE RESTART.

Here are my Bitdefender's specs:

@Alexandru_BD Consider this post and advice for other members with the same or similar issue related with the latest updates.

Regards.

• Scott
    Scott Defender of the month mod
    Options

Thanks for both of your heads up, as I just received the update this morning on my laptop. I'll also check it on my end.

All Bitdefender Home Product User Guides:https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/user-guides/

• Gjoksi
    Gjoksi DEFENDER OF THE YEAR 2022 / DEFENDER OF THE MONTH ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Scott

I'm more than sure it has something to do with the updates, but don't know exactly which updates: threat database updates, program build or both of them.

Like i said before a simple restart will solve the problem. That restart made a huuuge difference in my laptop's speed, everything works without any slow downs and smoothly.

Regards.

• Scott
    edited June 2022
    Options

My notebook, BD, did ask for a restart, and didn't blow any fans out after Windows and BD loaded.

And the performance is excellent.

All Bitdefender Home Product User Guides:https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/user-guides/

• Alexandru_BD
    Options

Hello guys,

I have checked with the Support Teams as well and no similar cases of overheating have been reported after the latest update so far. But we'll keep an eye on this.

Thanks for sharing your findings on this.

Premium Security & Bitdefender Endpoint Security Tools user

• Vickson
    edited June 2022
    Options

yes that is also a great solution and also i saw a problem with my fans that they were catching so much dust and i was so worried but we found out that our ducts needed to be cleaned due to which they were catching so much dust from the surrounding, for the sake of community betterment i am going to share the best cleaners.

• Scott
    edited June 2022
    Options

Now is established, Vickson is clearly a spammer.

• My device specs:

Processor 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-11900H @ 2.50GHz  2.50 GHz

Installed RAM 32.0 GB (31.7 GB usable)

System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

Edition Windows 11 Pro

Version 21H2

OS build 22000.856

Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22000.856.0

Hello All,

I have this issue after the update completed on Monday (8/29/22) I now have high CPU usage (see pics) and it causes the fan to run constantly.

Have shut down the device, forced updates, and restarted multiple times, but no joy.

Any additional ideas or help for fixing this issue would be most appreciated!

Love the BD product, but I can't stand the noisy and constant running of the fan on the device -- if I can't fix that, I've got to find another security option --

• sxs9001
    Options

I'm having the same problem with higher CPU usage and resulting higher fan speeds. The CPU usage with no active programs, web access or active use used to be in the range of approx 1-5% with bdservicehost taking about 0.2%.

After the program update this AM, 8-30-22, I now have a minimum of 8-20% with bdservicehost taking the big majority between 7-15% with no active scans running.

The Bitdefender version as of this AM is the same as the above poster's:

Build 26.0.25.84

Windows 10 Version 21H2, Build 19044.1889 with August's cumulative update installed.

This is the 1st time I've seen this problem using Bitdefender on several PC's for a few years but it isn't behaving normally.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled 3 times this morning. But each time the update gets installed, CPU usage goes way up as I described.

Bitdefender needs to address ASAP!

• Alexandru_BD
    Options

Hello @Coffeenocreamplease, @sxs9001 and welcome to the Community!

I am sorry to hear this. We have an open thread where the CPU usage is being discussed with the software developers here:

There is also an ongoing investigation regarding this behavior.

Regards

Premium Security & Bitdefender Endpoint Security Tools user

• Same here. Update today has caused bdservicehost (Bitdefender Virus Shield) to run the CPU at over 20%. A reinstall solves the problem until the recent update is downloaded again.

Build 26.0.25.84

• sxs9001
    sxs9001
    edited August 2022
    Options

What you report is exactly what I am experiencing. Same thing, works OK until the update then CPU usage jumps significantly with no active scans, no activity, PC just idle except for bdservicehost, the anti-virus agent, working the CPU, the most use of every background service or app. Normally it ran at 0.2% idling. Now it's at least 6-7 % and jumps to 15+ % causing my i9-11980 CPU to go to 20-21% with me doing nothing.

Frustrating and I did contact customer support who opened a case and sent me a logging tool to send back to them which I did. For the next week, I did uninstall Bitdefender and will rely on Windows Defender & Malwarebytes. CPU usage back to normal as soon as Bitdefender was uninstalled, didn't even have to wait for the reboot for it to settle down. And I have 4 more PC's with Bitdefender installed and as soon as one is booted, its Bitdefender will update & it too will be messed up.

• sxs9001
    Options

That's my experience too. Reinstall, works OK & CPU usage as expected until that forced update. Then nothing prevents the program from behaving like it's scanning 100% of the time in the background resulting in close to what you're seeing. Actual % would depend on the actual CPU but mine varies from approx 8-12% to 20-21% with no activity, no programs in use or scans by me.

I contacted customer support who opened a ticket & had me run a logging tool which I did and sent to them. I ended up uninstalling Bitdefender completely to restore normal functionality of the PC and will rely on Windows Defender + Malwarebytes for the next week or so. IF I read here or from Customer Support that it's been resolved, then I will re-install it. Unfortunately, my subscription just renewed yesterday! and we have 5 PC's with Bitdefender installed; I dread having to deal with this since the next time one is booted up, it will get messed up. I went with Bitdefender due to having major compatibility issues with Norton which continued to lock itself down on every Win 10 PC in the home, no matter the make or version. Norton has had this issue since 2014 and Bitdefender was a welcome change to reliable, trouble-free functionality on the same PC's until now.

Hope they give high priority to resolving this since it is very annoying and interferes with the PC's normal behavior. It was this last program update that messed it up.

• Same issue here. Only been happening since the update on the morning of August 30th, 2022.

On a gaming computer, with 32 GBs RAM (and SSD drives), Bitdefender Virus Shield runs my fan constantly, EVEN after a cold boot when no programs are running.

Power usage is constantly (and I mean NON STOP) listed as 'Very High' since the update. Using up to 20% of CPU resources.

• BMJ53
    Options

I have the same issue after the update last week, CPU usage in the low % and scan run full time despite taking off scan on start. I disable Bitedefender protrction in the advanced section, nothing have changed.

• I got an update from support that they are now aware of the issue and are working on it. No timescales for a new update but at least it's in the pipeline.

• I tested for updates today and there was a product update alongside the definitions update. I'm pleased to report that Bitdefender is now running again without the high CPU usage.