Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

using µTorrent and others

Options
Hoss1310
Hoss1310 ✭✭

Today I started with Bitdefender VPN Premium.

With my VPN enabled I can't download any file with µTorrent (which I do not use intensively but almost weekly))

How can I make both programs work together

Answers

• Scott
    Scott Defender of the month mod
    edited June 2022
    Options

Hi @Hoss1310

I'm not to familiar with torrenting, but you could try adding it, the address, into Split Tunneling, and if needed change the connection location. I know it may defeat the anonymity in using a VPN, but that's all I think you can do as far as the VPN options.

All Bitdefender Home Product User Guides:https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/user-guides/

• Hoss1310
    Options

@Scott

That is of course a solution, but then I don't have to pay for a VPN because I then bypass it.

The use of Split Tunneling is to exclude apps or websites or am I wrong?

If I bypass it, it will connect to the internet still with my own ip address right?

• Hoss1310
    Options

When using Split Tunneling for websites, I still have to switch to a server in my own country if I want to watch the offered youtube videos

Bitdefender VPN absolutely does not appeal to me

• Scott
    edited June 2022
    Options

Yes, you are correct; if you bypass (split tunneling), you will no longer be anonymous. Your connection will be through your default ip address. The use of split tunneling bypasses the VPN connection.

It does have its place in unsecured public Wi-Fi networks, which is the main reason I purchased it for my notebook and smartphone use. These articles may also be helpful.

All Bitdefender Home Product User Guides:https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/user-guides/

• Alexandru_BD
    Options

Hello @Hoss1310 and welcome back to the Community!

Are you experiencing this issue just with µTorrent, can you access other websites or make any successful downloads when connected to VPN?

Regards

Premium Security & Bitdefender Endpoint Security Tools user

• Scott
    Options
  • Hoss1310
    Options

I have problems with µTorrent and eMule, can't download anything at all. (while the intention was that I could use it anonymously)

I've switched between about 15 countries but always without result, just can't connect.

When using split tunneling and add a website, I still have to switch to a server in my own country if I want to watch the offered videos, always get the message "You must live in **** to watch this video." although it is excluded from vpn use

• Hoss1310
    Options

@Scott

Thanks for the explanation, I really understand how it works but the problem is that it doesn't work.

• Scott
    Options

Thank you for your gracious attitude, Hoss1310. Maybe Alexandru will follow up with some other thoughts or ideas.

• Hoss1310
    Options

@Scott

If you feel offended I apologize, this was not my intention

I really have no attitude, I really appreciate your help.

The info you give is very helpfull but I really understand how it works, only I don't get it working

• Scott
    edited June 2022
    Options

Not at all friend, never felt offended quite the opposite, you've been kind and thoughtful in your posts 😊 Sometimes on forums it can be hard though to interpret posts, compared to face to face dialogue.

• I'm having this same issue with Stremio.

The newest update 25.5.4.4 which was automatically updated broke my ability to stream or download on Stremio.

I'm getting two distinct errors within stremio which when I disable the VPN, the app works perfectly.

I've not had any issues with Bitdefender VPN and Stremio until this last release.

Does anybody have insight into what changed that could have broken this functionality?

• Hoss1310
    Options

Now on top of the already existing problems I also get connection problems.

Several times got the following message "" there was an error establishing a connection (error code 9).

After a PC reboot it is sometimes solved but sometimes I have to reboot several times

• Gjoksi
    Gjoksi DEFENDER OF THE YEAR 2022 / DEFENDER OF THE MONTH ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2022
    Options

@Hoss1310 @Bradley-user

Hello.

Don't get me wrong, but i think that only the technical engineers from Bitdefender Consumer Support can help you on the issue. So, follow the next steps.

First, take screenshot(s) of the issue,

create a log file on your Windows device using Bitdefender Support Tool, by following these steps:

and

create a log file on your Windows device using BDsysLog, by following these steps:

Next, contact Bitdefender Consumer Support by e-mail:

with short description of the issue.

After that, you will get an automated reply by the Bitdefender Customer Care Team, with your ticket number.

Now, in reply to that automated reply, you can send the screenshot(s) you already took and the log files you already created in the first step.

Since you are all done, just wait for the support engineers to investigate your issue and find a solution to fix the issue.

Remember that the screenshot(s) and the log files will help a lot to the support engineers for better and faster investigation on your issue and finding a solution.

Regards.

• Alexandru_BD
    Options

Hello @Hoss1310, @Bradley-user,

There are a few general causes for connection errors encountered by Bitdefender VPN:

• You are not connected to the Internet and can’t access the Internet via Wi-Fi or Ethernet cable. Make sure you have Internet access before using Bitdefender VPN.
    • A strictly configured firewall is preventing VPN connectivity (e.g. 3rd party firewall software, router’s built-in firewall). If you are not sure if your router comes with a dedicated firewall or how to turn it off please refer to its manual, contact the manufacturer or your ISP.
    • Another VPN or Proxy is running when you try to connect. In this case, disable the other VPN/Proxy solution.
    • You’re on a public Wi-Fi such as work, school, airport, etc. which may have blocked the ports required by Bitdefender VPN. You need to contact the network administrator to try and change their firewall settings.
    • The port used for the VPN connection is closed. Depending on the device you’re currently using, the port 443 UDP must be open.

You can follow the steps described in the article below (it includes error 9 as well) and if this doesn't help, kindly contact the Technical Support Teams, as suggested by Gjoksi above, for a more in-depth investigation:

Regards

• In speaking with Stremio, they're suggesting this:

"your vpn is blocking local streaming server, it is running locally on your PC. So perhaps it is trying to route local network through vpn too and it shouldnt"

I'll start looking at logs, but does this help at all?

• Alexandru_BD
    Options

Hi,

Given the circumstances, I would advise to create a log file, as @Gjoksi suggested above and have our engineers perform further checks locally. Because if the troubleshooting steps we provided so far did not return any results, a more detailed investigation is required on the device where this is happening.

Regards

• PanosM
    PanosM
    edited June 2022
    Options

Hi, I've had the same problem the last few days (I live in France). It seems that the latest update of Bitdefender VPN blocks uTorrent and other torrent clients, you have to temporally stop them if you want to download.

This of course defeats the purpose of paying for a VPN, if they don't sort this out with an update I'm not renewing the subscription, I'll find another VPN.

• I've created a support ticket, but both of the log files I created exceeded their minimum file size. Hopefully when I get the reply I can send the zip files through some other means.

• Scott
    edited June 2022
    Options

Yes, just let them know in your correspondence with them, and they will provide a means for you to be able to send those files to them.

• Alexandru_BD
    Options

Hi @Bradley-user,

Have you tried a clean reinstall of the VPN? There have been some hiccups lately with the new VPN update and we are gathering as much intel as we can from sporadic reports. The reinstall should normally fix this issue, but it's not guaranteed.

However, split-tunneling should do the trick for now, until the engineers can have a closer look and reply to you.

Regards

• The troubleshooting should be with support now. I'm going to try the reinstall, though I already did that once with no effect.

The whole reason for the VPN was to mask my torrent streaming, so split tunneling kind of nullifies that.

• Alexandru_BD
    Options

@Bradley-user the developers have recently launched an update for the VPN to address some of the issues identified in the previous release and a clean reinstall should fix this behavior:

I have noticed that the engineers recently provided a response on your open ticket as well.

Please follow the steps below:

1. Press the Windows key (located between CTRL and ALT) and the R key together on your keyboard.

2. Type appwiz.cpl in the command box that appears and press Enter.

3. This will bring up Programs and Features in Control Panel. Locate Bitdefender VPN in the list, right-click on it and choose Uninstall.

4. A wizard will appear. Choose Uninstall by clicking on the button.

5. Reboot your PC when asked.

6. Open Bitdefender, then click the Privacy icon on the left sidebar of the Bitdefender interface.

7. In the VPN panel, click Open VPN.

8. In the window with the description of the VPN app, read the Subscription Agreement, and then click INSTALL BITDEFENDER VPN.

Let us know how it goes.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Best regards

• Solved it, thank you!

• Alexandru_BD
    Options

Glad to hear this @Bradley-user, thanks for following up!

You have a great day and enjoy your Bitdefender product.

• PanosM
    Options

The problem sorted itself, probably another update, now I can dowload torrents again with the vpn connected.

• Gjoksi
    Gjoksi DEFENDER OF THE YEAR 2022 / DEFENDER OF THE MONTH ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@PanosM

Glad to know that your problem has been solved. Cheers.