Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

File Extensions now visible (after a Full System Scan) - Can't Fix!!!!

Options

Wow, the efforts to ignore this problem are outrageous. This issue has cropped up all over the interwebs since 2011 and the common concensus has always been "its bitdefender related"...maybe BitDefender knows this, does not have a solution, and thinks if they ignore us, the problem will go away? LOL sorry, still here!

I did a full system scan two days ago...first time I ever did the full scan.

Took an entire day to complete.

After that my file extensions are visible and none of the controls to hide extensions will work.

I contacted Support Chat (another nightmare experience) and got no where. I was first directed to reveal what other "Security Solutions" I was using...I assume that means "antivirus"?...of which I have no other. Then I was given directions to instructions on how to turn off every aspect of my bitdefender (took me forever!) only to find, it did not fix the problem. So, I turned everything back on (what a pain) and then got told I would have to submit some sort of report...I'm actually still waiting for the email (with the necessary app) I was promised immediately after the chat session.

Honestly, this is pathetic. The Bitdefender website is so slow and troublesome to navigate...the solutions are not there...Chat is an absolute joke (slow, pointless)...and the bitdefender denial knob is turned up to 11. I am really seeing no reason to sign up for a second year of this antivirus.

Comments

• Scott
    Scott Defender of the month mod
    Options
  • airdave
    edited July 2022
    Options

Thank you Scott.

Obviously I was very irritated by the problem, and then with bitdefender support. But, they have reached out to me and offered to help. Support is working on it now....they had me create a log file report (or something like that) and transfer it to them, and hopefully they will be able to sort out the problem. I will attempt to report back here, if and when a solution is found.

I will keep your suggestion in mind if no fix is found. "Switching on developer mode" applies to bitdefender, I assume? (not Windows?)

• Gjoksi
    Gjoksi DEFENDER OF THE YEAR 2022 / DEFENDER OF THE MONTH ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hello.

You could also try to restart the pc/laptop.

A long time ago i had the same problem. After full scan, no matter what i did, the file extension was visible, but after the system restart it was not visible anymore. Also, you must restart your device every time after you do a full scan.

Maybe, you could try that too.

Also, it only happened when i had Windows 7 64-bit installed. Now, i have Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit and never had the same problem.

Regards.

• airdave
    Options

I still haven't heard anything back from Support....

I was going to try the fix that Scott posted, but I see no "Developers Mode" in Settings. So I can't.

• Scott
    Scott Defender of the month mod
    edited July 2022
    Options

Hi @airdave

Even though this is for Windows 10, or if you're ruining 11, it will give you the idea, the path. Sorry if the post link I provided led you to maybe believe that setting was in Bitdefender itself.

From this thread:

this post may also help?

Scott

All Bitdefender Home Product User Guides:https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/user-guides/

• airdave
    Options

Scott...I did ask...back on July 4...if this Developer Mode FIX applied to Bitdefender or Windows. I didn't get an answer, so I have been looking for Developer Mode in bitdefender.

I don't want to start changing Windows things...and I think based on others complaints, that the problem is connected to bitdefender. It also happened right after doing a full system scan. So I want bitdefender to fix this. (I have yet to hear anything from them, after sending them the log reports)

Anyway....it seems to have corrected itself! Yesterday, I noticed file extensions weren't visible. I looked at the Folder options, and looked at the file extensions check/uncheck box and it was unchecked. It is staying unchecked now! So all is back to normal. I hope.

Unfortunately I have no explanation for how and why.