Web protection on ipad

Docvoll
edited July 2022 in Mobile Security

Can someone explain to me how this works ?

I turn it on and the bitdefender VPN starts, but everything I read says they can’t be used at the same time.

if I turn the VPN off, the web protection auto turns off. Does the iOS web protection only work if the bitdefender VPN is on? I am concerned as I only have the bitdefender VPN FREE which has limits to its usage at 200mb/day.

The web protection even turns off by itself at other times. Is there A way to configure it to keep it on?

Comments

• Flexx
    Flexx DEFENDER OF THE YEAR 2023 / DEFENDER OF THE MONTH ✭✭✭✭✭ mod

Share your query with bitdefender mobile support team by dropping them an email at bms@bitdefender.com

The support team will reply back to your query within next 24-48 hours excluding weekends.

Regards

Life happens, Coffee helps!

Show your Attitude, when you reach that Altitude!

Bitdefender Ultimate Security Plus (user)

• Hello,

I'm a new Bitdefender customer and I noticed that the Web-protection and VPN feature available in the Bitdefender mobile app does not work at the same time but alternatively. This has been described in some other topic-threads with the conclusion that as this is how it is designed to work.

Regardless what is activated in the mobile app, it seems like the Bitdefender Center does not update accordingly. In other words, the actual status of the Bitdefender in the iOS app and the Bitdefender Center is not in phase with each other. It there any solution in the pipe regarding this issue?

• Hello @jawe,

Indeed, VPN and Web Protection have different purposes and you should turn them on depending on your needs. For example, if you want to do some online transactions on your banking site while being connected to an airport or a mall WI-FI, you should turn on the VPN, to encrypt & anonymise all your traffic. If you are especially browsing on all kind of new sites that could look suspicious, then Web Protection would be of greater help, making sure that the domains you are accessing are not exposed to online threats (like malware, phishing, miner) by blocking access to dangerous pages.

Are you referring to the synchronization between the information displayed in the Mobile Security app and Central? Kindly elaborate and attach a screenshot to your reply as well, for us to get a better understanding of the situation.

Cheers and thank you

Premium Security & Bitdefender Endpoint Security Tools user

• Flexx

Share your query with bitdefender mobile support team by dropping them an email at bms@bitdefender.com

The support team will reply back to your query within next 24-48 hours excluding weekends.

Regards

• I would like to restate original question in this thread… when Web protection is activated on iPhone the VPN symbol is displayed at the top of the screen and the VPN option is active in Settings. So, is Web Protection using a VPN connection or not?

• Flexx
    edited July 2023

If the vpn is active, all connection will route through it whether it is the web protection or whether it is any application that will connect to internet.

More more information, share your query with bitdefender mobile support team by dropping them an email at bms@bitdefender.com

Regards

• Scott
    Scott Defender of the month mod

You can also confirm this by looking at the Bitdefender VPN connection and going to ipleak.net to verify the location is the same.

Kind regards,

Scott

All Bitdefender Home Product User Guides:https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/user-guides/

• Yes, Web Protection uses a special VPN to filter all Internet traffic by scanning the connections for malicious and fraudulent content, so it will trigger the VPN symbol on your iOS device when active.

More information on how Web protection operates can be found in the following article:

Regards,

Alex

Premium Security & Bitdefender Endpoint Security Tools user