DNS Secure

OldOne
edited August 2022 in VPN

I have bitdefender installed & your VPN protection. I got a pop up message suggesting I turn off DNS Secure on Chrome because it was interfering with Bit defender's ability to block ads etc. Is that legit and is it undermining some of the Google chrome security?

Comments

• Hello @OldOne and welcome to the Community!

The VPN already encrypts all traffic while it's active, thus having the secure DNS active is redundant and can cause issues as well.

Cheers.

Premium Security & Bitdefender Endpoint Security Tools user

• so what dns servers does the vpn use

• Flexx
    Flexx DEFENDER OF THE YEAR 2023 / DEFENDER OF THE MONTH ✭✭✭✭✭ mod

Life happens, Coffee helps!

Show your Attitude, when you reach that Altitude!

Bitdefender Ultimate Security Plus (user)

• So how do I know if I have a DNS leak or if it is setup correctly?

• Hello @ja50n9762479,

If you are currently using the default DNS (Domain Name System) from your Internet provider, switch to a third-party DNS server that might be faster and reliable.

How to change your DNS:

Open Control Panel → Network and Internet → Network and Sharing Center → Change adapter settings → double-click your active adapter (network) → choose Properties.

or

Go to Windows Start menu  

in the lower-left corner → type in ncpa.cpL and hit Enter → double-click your active adapter (network) → choose Properties.

Click on Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) in the connection items list, then press Properties.

Select Use the following DNS server addresses and enter the following addresses:

Preferred DNS server: 8.8.8.8

Alternate DNS server: 8.8.4.4

Click OK to confirm the change, then restart your PC.

Regards

Premium Security & Bitdefender Endpoint Security Tools user