Cannot turn off Notifications/Special Offers/Recommendations

So frustrating. I want Bitdefender to run in the background and only notify me if there's an actual threat. I don't want ANY other popups. I don't need special offers and I don't need recommendations. At all. EVER. I supposedly have these turned off in Settings/General yet they persist. I am very ready to scrap Bitdefender altogether if I can't stop these annoying popups. Can any one help?

Comments

• Scott
    Scott Defender of the month mod
    edited August 2022

Hi @Grafiksman

If you wanted to go through this list, may help with other notifications you may be getting.

Kind regards,

Scott

All Bitdefender Home Product User Guides:https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/user-guides/

• Gjoksi
    Gjoksi DEFENDER OF THE YEAR 2022 / DEFENDER OF THE MONTH ✭✭✭✭✭

Hello.

Open your Bitdefender program and go to:

1. Settings -> General and disable "Special offers" and "Recommendation notifications"

2. Protection -> Antivirus -> Settings -> Scan flash drives and select "Autoscan" or "Disabled", do not select "Ask every time" (for the "USB Immunizer Recommendation" notification)

3. Privacy -> Safepay -> Settings and disable "Safepay notifications"

4. Privacy -> Video & Audio Protection -> Settings and disable "Notify when allowed applications connect to the webcam", "Notify when an application tries to access the microphone" and "Notify when browsers access the microphone"

5. Utilities -> Profiles -> Settings and disable "Activate profiles automatically" (for the Profile notification)

After doing that, in the future no pop-up notifications will be displayed in the lower right corner of your screen.

Also, under Utilities -> Profiles -> Settings, when "Work Profile" or "Game Profile" is enabled/activated, all Bitdefender alerts and pop-ups are disabled.

Finally, as for the Bitdefender VPN pop-ups, you can simply uninstall Bitdefender VPN from your device by following the steps provided here (just select "Bitdefender VPN"):

https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/answer/2791/

or

open the Bitdefender VPN program, go to Settings -> Notifications and disable "Allow notifications".

REMEMBER: When a threat is detected, a pop-up notification will be displayed in the lower right corner of your screen and you can't disable those pop-up notifications.

If that didn't help, do the following:

-- STEP 1 --

Repair Bitdefender, by following these steps:

https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/answer/13429/

-- STEP 2 --

If the instructions from Step 1 didn't help, uninstall the Bitdefender program using the Uninstall Tool.

For Bitdefender Paid version click here:

https://www.bitdefender.com/links/uninstall_consumer_paid.html

For Bitdefender Trial version click here:

https://www.bitdefender.com/links/uninstall_consumer_trial.html

It will completely remove the program.

Next, reinstall Bitdefender from your Bitdefender Central account and see if the issue has been resolved, as reinstalling the program usually solves the issues.

-- STEP 3 --

If the instructions from Step 2 didn't help, follow the instructions in this step.

First, take screenshot(s) of the issue

and create a log file on your Windows device using Bitdefender Support Tool, by following these steps:

https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/answer/1733/

Next, contact Bitdefender Consumer Support by e-mail:

https://community.bitdefender.com/en/discussion/91918/bitdefender-websites-and-bitdefender-consumer-support-contacts

with short description of the issue.

After that, you will get an automated reply by the Bitdefender Customer Care Team, with your ticket number.

Now, in reply to that automated reply, you can send the screenshot(s) you already took and the log file you already created in the first step.

Since you are all done, just wait for the support engineers to investigate your issue and find a solution to fix the issue.

Remember that the screenshot(s) and the log file will help a lot to the support engineers for better and faster investigation on your issue and finding a solution.

Regards.

• Hello @Grafiksman,

The recommendations from the dashboard cannot be removed or disabled. The option that you disabled ensures that you will not receive pop ups on your computer reminding you of these features in Bitdefender, but they will continue to appear in the dashboard along with a few others.

In regards to special offers, you may change the way Bitdefender communicates with you using the Central account as well. Simply go to https://account.bitdefender.com/, login and click on the profile picture to reveal the drop-down menu. From there, select "Bitdefender account", then go to "data & privacy" and select the privacy preferences option:

Here, simply uncheck the two boxes displayed.

You may follow the steps provided by Scott and Gjoksi above, to disable the pop up notifications in Bitdefender.

Regards

Premium Security & Bitdefender Endpoint Security Tools user

• Yeah, I have this as well. BD is becoming more and more intrusive to try and locks users into features. I have all the notifications etc optioned off but still get pop ups daily for the password manager. I've had to uninstall the VPN to get it to leave me alone.

Anyway it's just the usual low level behaviour of greedy companies. After using BD for many years, I won't be renewing.

• What utter contempt Bitdefender has for its customers to force these repeated unwanted pop ups on a paid for product.

In my mind this is malware.

Absolutely shocking from a product which is meant to stop these things.

• Why are these privacy option hidden away on the website in a place nobody would ever think to look?

You guys are absolute jokers.

This should be within the product we paid for.

• Grafiksman
    edited August 2022

Alexandru, I supposedly have all popup notifications turned off disabled, yet they persist. When I go to Data & Privacy in My Account on Bitdefender Central, the only option available to me is Delete Account.

I constantly get popups about Password Manager, VPN, etc. I don't want any popups unless there's a threat blocked. This is just unacceptable.

• Yeah that is STILL very annoying (for Years now) and there are also Popups for Recommendations...

All this in a PAID Product?!

This is the Reason why i canceled my Subscription, don't like to get SPAMMED by a PAID, especially "Security" Product!

Also the missing "Advanced" Settings are very sad :/

• Hello @fuba82,

Can you share with us exactly what notification is bothering you? Or if the function to disable a specific notification is not working as expected? Maybe we can help.

You can follow the steps below to customize your notification preferences in Bitdefender:

1. Settings -> General and disable "Special offers" and "Recommendation notifications".

2. Protection -> Antivirus -> Settings -> Scan flash drives and select "Autoscan" or "Disabled", do not select "Ask every time" (for the "USB Immunizer Recommendation" notification).

3. Privacy -> Safepay -> Settings and disable "Safepay notifications".

4. Privacy -> Video & Audio Protection -> Settings and disable "Notify when allowed applications connect to the webcam", "Notify when an application tries to access the microphone" and "Notify when browsers access the microphone".

5. Utilities -> Profiles -> Settings and disable "Activate profiles automatically" (for the Profile notification).

REMEMBER: When a threat is detected, a pop-up notification will be displayed in the lower right corner of your screen and you can't disable those pop-up notifications. The fact that various types of notifications were suppressed does not mean that the product will no longer communicate operation or detection issues. There are still many situations where the user must be aware of what is happening.

The recommendations from the dashboard cannot be removed or disabled completely. The option to disable them ensures that you will not receive pop ups on your computer reminding you of these features in Bitdefender, but they will continue to appear in the dashboard along with a few others.

In regards to special offers, you may change the way Bitdefender communicates with you using the Central account as well. Simply go to https://account.bitdefender.com/, login and click on the profile picture to reveal the drop-down menu. From there, select "Bitdefender account", then go to "data & privacy" and select the privacy preferences option.

The notifications and recommendations have nothing to do with the license type, they will be present in both free and paid versions, but you can set your preferences for them.

Regards

• Absolutely ridiculous that we need a thread with multiple steps to turn off hidden settings in order to avoid getting spammed by Bitdefender. 7 pop-ups in a row, none of which are to tell me there's a big security risk.

This is for a paid product as well, and yet I still can't turn off notifications? Pretty close to calling it a day, cutting my losses and moving on to something far less intrusive.

Put in a slider that can turn them all off in one go, and we'll finally be getting somewhere.

• Hi @DS103ihN and thanks for joining the conversation.

It's not necessary to go through all of the above steps, as you can simply disable the notifications that are not of interest.

7 pop-ups in a row - Which pop-ups do you get, are they for Password Manager or the VPN ?

Regards