Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Latest BD Total Security 26.0.33.139 Causes Windows 10 To Boot To Black/Blank Screen. Any Help?

This PC has had Bitdefender TS running for 2 years with no issues. On Wednesday an automatic update for Bitdefender was rolled out, and it prompted me to reboot (which I did not). At the end of the day I shutdown as normal. The next day, after putting in my Windows PIN and pressing enter, it took an extraordinarily long time to load, then all I saw was a blank (black) screen. I could CTRL-ALT-DELETE and access Task Manager, but I could not manually load Explorer (nothing happened) or Control Panel. I could run Command Prompt however. I ran sfc /scannow and various DISM commands, which found errors, fixed them but didn't resolve.

I was forced to restore from a restore point, which loaded ok. Then the same automatic BD update came through, and prompted for a reboot. Did so and got blank screen error again. I restored again, uninstalled Bitdefender TS, reinstalled it, and it rebooted ok. Same automatic update happened again, rebooted, blank screen. I have had to fully uninstall Bitdefender and leave it uninstalled. As this is a PC I use for work, that's not ideal.

Is this a known issue? I Googled it and saw that there have been other reports of similar issues, but they were 2021 and nothing recent. This is a Windows 10 Pro machine, and I have a Windows 11 machine with the same product, has updated and no issues at all.

Please help ...

Comments

• Hello @Cindernat,

As far as I know, there haven't been any recent reports about such a behaviour. It will be necessary to contact the Support engineers, so they can obtain logs from the machine for troubleshooting purposes, otherwise it's difficult for us to pronounce ourselves here, based solely on the available information.

You can get in touch with the Support Teams by choosing one of the contact channels available at the link below:

https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Let us know how it goes and we would appreciate if you could share the outcome with the community as well, so we may help others that might encounter this issue in the future.

Thank you and best regards

Premium Security & Bitdefender Endpoint Security Tools user

• Oh, here you are I found you @Cindernat 😄

I have also replied to one of your comments on another thread.

• Scott
    Scott Defender of the month mod

And to add to Alexandru's post above. On the PC where Bitdefender is not installed, follow the second option in this article, and let support know you will be sending the support tool log file. They will then send you an email link in which it will be possible to send that file.

Kind regards,

Scott

All Bitdefender Home Product User Guides:https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/user-guides/

• I am also have the same issue after updating bitfender. I had to uninstall it in order to use my computer again.

• Scott
  • I am having the issue on two win 10 pro 64-but pcs. I have gone into safe mode and uninstalled Bitdefender from both PCs.

• Scott
    edited February 2023

Thank you for that information, @akk246 My only suggestion at this time would be to go through the same steps, if you wouldn't mind, as with @Cindernat so that the engineers can try to figure out what's causing this issue.

@Alexandru_BD just giving you a heads-up on this second post with the same issue, on same version of Windows.

Kind regards,

Scott

All Bitdefender Home Product User Guides:https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/user-guides/

• Hi Alexandru_BD, I realised why my other post wouldn't post, it was because it had command dot executable typed in (except, the proper way) and that was triggering the CloudFlare thing blocking it.

Thanks to Scott as well.

I have raised a ticket with support and they have requested those logs, which I have supplied a couple of hours ago, so will see what they say.

I feel like they are going to come back with 'don't have Malwarebytes installed as it's not compatible with Bitdefender' - as soon as they see it in the logs. I did also uninstall Malwarebytes, but it didn't resolve the issue. Just for some context, I have used BD in conjunction with MWB for years and had no issues, but I know it's not recommended/supported.

• Scott
    edited February 2023

You're right, that may be the first thing they flag, Malwarebytes. Even though you've had that combination running for years, it could have been a MBAM, a Bitdefender or possibly even a Windows 10 update that broke their compatibility.

It may be something where you'll need to do a total clean-up to remove traces of Bitdefender and MBAM.

But, let's wait and see what support has to say, as it may also include some other issue. These steps below by @Flexx could help after we learn more. Knowing that if you can get your PC working properly, and you feel the need to run MBAM, I would only use the free version and run on-demand scans. Also, disabling it from Windows at start-up.

Kindly perform below steps & see if this helps you in anyway.

1) Uninstall the bitdefender product with add/ remove programs option in windows

2) To remove the remaining files download and run Bitdefender product uninstaller: https://www.bitdefender.com/files/KnowledgeBase/file/Bitdefender_2022_Uninstall_Tool.exe

3) Restart PC in safe mode: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/start-your-pc-in-safe-mode-in-windows-92c27cff-db89-8644-1ce4-b3e5e56fe234

4) As soon as desktop opens, assuming your windows drive is C, open below things in run (windows icon + R) command one by one :

C:\Program Files (delete any folder with name bitdefender)

C:\Program Files (x86) (delete any folder with name bitdefender)

C:\ProgramData (delete any folder with name bitdefender)

C:\Users\{your pc name}\AppData\Local (delete any folder with name bitdefender)

5) Open run command again and run below command one by one :

temp ,delete all the files in the folder

%temp% ,delete all the files in folder

prefetch ,delete all the files in folder

6) Open registry editor through run command (windows icon + R) and then type regedit. Once registry editor opens, click on edit -> find, make sure to tick mark match whole strings only. Type bitdefender in search box and click find next. If any file or folder under name of bitdefender is found, delete it. Continue searching the registry and deleting until the search will report no registry keys found.

7) Restart your PC in general mode by unticking the option that you selected to run the system in safe mode and then click apply.

8) Remove devices from online bitdefender central: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/answer/2795/

9) Then, reinstall Bitdefender from Central to "This Device."

Scott

• I have a similar issue, and it is reproducible. I can successfully boot Windows 10 Pro 22H2 fully updated to user login screen, select user / enter password, and authenticate, but then the user Windows desktop never displays. I just get a totally blank screen with nothing visible at all. CTRL-ALT-DEL at this point allows user to Sign Out of Windows and reboot the computer, etc.

This issue first occurred immediately after a Windows reboot, successful user login to desktop, and then an immediate update to BitDefender Total Security version 26.0.33.139 and second reboot. So this problem was introduced with the BD TS 26.0.33.139 update since that was the only system / software change.

I can boot Windows successfully to safe mode and login into safe mode without any third-party services running. If all the BitDefender services are then disabled in safe mode (e.g. using SysInternals Autoruns) I can then reboot back to normal Windows mode and log into the user Windows desktop like normal, although without BD TS enabled.

I am also a Malwarebytes user - and have been running this "dual" configuration for years until today's issue with BD TS 26.0.33.139. I tried to open a Support ticket, but have not received any acknowledgement yet. Will check back later.

• Scott

Two posts from two members that involve MBAM. I'm not sure if @akk246 was also running Malwarebytes or not?

• Cindernat
    Cindernat
    edited February 2023

Well, can I just say, thanks to Scott (and Flex), you're a champion.

I followed all your steps just now, although I must admit I didn't do the safe mode part, I just deleted what I could in normal mode and thought I would give that a go.

Bitdefender was then able to be installed successfully, and the device restarted and rebooted successfully. That said, I don't know if it was something BD did their end to resolve this.

It should be noted, I don't have MWB installed currently, as we know, BD installer doesn't allow this anyway if it detects MWB. I have a lifetime licence for MWB, that's why I am so set on using it. However, I am interested to hear what your opinions on this is, is that total overkill? Just last week I had MWB block a website I clicked on from Google search results (a legitimate looking one, I might add) and MWB blocked it, nothing from Bitdefender. This is why I like a layered defence on my devices. I have Hitman Pro to encrypt everything I type within my browsers (mind you, have had to uninstall it to run Bitdefender's logging tool, as it blocks it even when it's white-listed, haha).

@netmon try it, and see how you go. I can confirm I am now at 26.0.33.139 (honestly, I was expecting the whole black/blank screen thing to occur again upon restarting).

I'm still going to give it a few days to make sure this problem is fully resolved, who knows if an actual device shutdown might trigger a different outcome.

Thanks all for your help thus far.

• Gjoksi
    Gjoksi DEFENDER OF THE YEAR 2022 / DEFENDER OF THE MONTH ✭✭✭✭✭

Hello.

My specs are:

Edition   Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

Version   22H2

OS build   19045.2673 with the latest available updates installed until now

Experience   Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.4190.0

Bitdefender Total Security build 26.0.33.139 (last product update 20.02.2023)

Just did a test on my laptop, restarted the device twice, but everything works fine/normally. Both Bitdefender and Windows started and run fine/normally, so far no problems.

For the record, i don't have and never had any Malwarebytes' product/service installed together with BD Total Security on my laptop.

Regards.

• netmon
    netmon
    edited February 2023

I did further investigation. My issue appears to be related to HitmanPro.Alert and not Malwarebytes.

With HitmanPro.Alert exploit mitigation enabled and running Bitdefender Total Security 26.0.33.139, various Windows applications will start and immediately crash without displaying their GUI e.g. explorer (so no user desktop), notepad, wordpad, etc. Some other applications will run if executed from Task Manager Run (get task manager from CTRL-ALT-DEL) e.g. Windows Command prompt, Event Viewer; Sysinternals Process Explorer, Process Monitor, Autoruns; Bitdefender security center; Malwarebytes UI; HitmanPro UI, etc.

Application versions:

Windows 10 ProVersion: 22H2, OS build: 19045.2673, Experience: Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.4190.0

Bitdefender Total Security, Build 26.0.33.139

HitmanPro.Alert, Version 3.8.22 build 947

Malwarebytes version 4.5.23.241, Upgrade package version: 1.0.66131, Component package version: 1.0.1927

• I found a HMPA support article describing how to add an exclusion for Windows Explorer, so the Windows user Desktop can load. Search for "HMPA - Black screen after latest Bitdefender Update (build 26.0.33.139)". Similar exclusions may need to be added for other applications or Exploit mitigation may need to be disabled e.g. notepad, Wordpad, Acrobat, Tracker Software PDF-XChange Editor (PDFXEdit). This method at least leaves Exploit mitigation in place for other application such as browsers etc.

Crashing applications can be found in the Windows Event Viewer by filtering by Sources: Application Error, Windows Error Reporting. The 1000/1001 events should describe the crashing application.

• Cindernat
    Cindernat
    edited February 2023

Hi @netmon.

Interesting, cos as I mentioned, I do have Hitman Pro/Alert and had to uninstall it to run the Bitdefender log analysis tool. And, I did not reinstall it, my plan was to have BD running properly for a few days the reinstall it - but sounds like I might run into that issue again if I do.

Are you all good after doing that?

• Update: also need to disable HMPA Exploit mitigations for "Pick an app 10" aka openwith executable. Otherwise double-clicking a e.g. PDF file in Explorer will not open the file in your default PDF application.

• Hi,

Thank you @netmon for sharing your findings with us. I will post the link to the support article here:

https://hitmanpro.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/9447768100381-HMPA-Black-screen-after-latest-Bitdefender-Update-build-26-0-33-139-

• We're now at release 26.0.34.145 - anyone know if the compatibility issue with HMPA has been resolved yet?

• I updated to BDTS release 26.0.34.145  and rebooted with HMPA exploit protection still disabled on Windows Explorer. After logging in I did reset the HMPA exploit protection settings to default on all the apps I had previously disabled it on: notepad, wordpad, PDF X-Change viewer, OpenWith, Windows Explorer. With BDTS 26.0.34.145 and HMPA exploit protection enabled all these apps execute normally / as expected without logging any Windows Event errors or app crashes. This includes Windows Explorer when opened as a file viewer. Therefore, I suspect that a reboot/login will also work for WIndows Explorer as the desktop process.

I have not yet rebooted Windows a second time as a final check with HMPA exploit protection enabled on Windows Explorer at boot time. Pending this final check (later this week), it does appear that BDTS release 26.0.34.145 does resolve this issue.

• Thanks netmon - I will attempt to reinstall HMPA over the weekend, not when I need the PC for work.

• I rebooted the PC tonight with the updated BDTS 26.0.34.145 and all HMPA exploit protections settings enabled and at default settings prior to the PC reboot. This included having no exploit exclusion for Windows Explorer (so exploit protection was enabled for Windows Explorer).

After reboot and user login everything worked as expected - the user desktop appeared as normal without any issue. All applications I use are working, and there were no app crashes reported in Windows Event Viewer. So the BDTS update to 26.0.34.145 appears to have fully solved the earlier issues.

Current application versions:

Bitdefender Total Security, Build 26.0.34.145 **updated**

HitmanPro.Alert, Version 3.8.22 build 947

Malwarebytes version 4.5.23.241, Upgrade package version: 1.0.66471, Component package version: 1.0.1927

Windows 10 ProVersion: 22H2, OS build: 19045.2673, Experience: Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.4190.0

• Alexandru_BD
    Alexandru_BD admin
    edited March 2023

Hi @netmon,

Thank you for sharing your findings with us! I hereby confirm the situation was fixed with the build 26.0.34.145.

Regards

• M Ham
    M Ham MBA
    edited June 2023

I am very shocked and frustrated! Instead of providing me safe and security, this product caused persistent problems and wasted time and money!

My HP laptop would boot only rarely, and after a long time, for SIX MONTHS, and during this period I replaced the IC chip and also the weak battery and updated bios and formatted the drive and reinstalled clean windows and never expected this reputable security product to be the problem!

In the end, when I installed Bitdefender after reinstalling Windows, the PC didn't reboot; at this point, only after six months did I recognise that the problem was Bitdefender, and after uninstalling it, the problem disappeared completely.

And I discovered the customers had repeatedly reported this problem for at least a year...

I eventually decided never ever purchase this security product again.

• Nige
    Nige ✭✭

I made the huge mistake last week of renewing my Bitdefender licence (not at the vastly inflated ‘special price for existing customers’ thankfully.)

Windows told me that Bitdefender needed updating yesterday (Bitdefender never tells me, nor has it ever ever updated itself automatically.)

Today I boot up and black screen. It appears that explorer.exe needs to be killed and restarted. 

Thankfully, I use a proper application for imaging and recovery, so I wind back to 2 days ago. Windows loads ok.

Windows tells me that Bitdefender needs updating … rinse and repeat. This is now 100% reproducible and, frankly, Bitdefender is becoming something of a sick joke now. What on earth are you playing at? I’ve said it before in my many, many, many, support tickets - how do you expect anyone to trust such a flaky, buggy poorly designed and implemented application, especially one that is meant to be protecting PCs?

Nothing has changed with Windows (no updates), and I can roll back, update and restart and it’s the same. I have tried uninstalling Bitdefender using the (incomplete) instructions on the Bitdefender site. After rebooting, I get the same issue.

I bought a licence from Amazon. Bitdefender is faulty so I’ll be asking for a refund.

ffs I’d rather have that free AV that keeps warning that the world will end if I don’t buy a licence and my PC has a virus that will eat my cat than this awful product.

I have been with Bitdefender for years and things have just got worse and worse. It’s the most buggy and poorly supported AV app I have ever experienced. 

Even website ‘security’ is poorly implemented. I can sign in on my iPad, but on my PC i am asked to do 2fa to my email address. The email for 2fa never arrives.

• Nige
    Nige ✭✭

This is hilarious!

I just started to submit a support ticket (I don’t hold out any hope for a resolution.

I use the support tool to create the support log.

I try to attach the support log to the ticket.

The file size of the file that the support tool created is 726MB.

The maximum file size allowed by the ticketing system is 25MB.

The instructions for creating the support log are also out of date.

Way to go guys!

• Nige
    Nige ✭✭

Why do you force 2fa on accounts and send the verification by email, but offer no other 2fa options?

Your mailimg system is too slow and email isn’t the most secure method, is it?

• Gjoksi
    Gjoksi DEFENDER OF THE YEAR 2022 / DEFENDER OF THE MONTH ✭✭✭✭✭

@Nige

Hello.

In the past some users had difficulties while logging with 2FA form e-mail.

Only @Alexandru_BD and @Mike_BD (they both work for Bitdefender) or Bitdefender Consumer Support can help you with the issue, as they can temporarily disable the 2FA to allow access.

You could contact Bitdefender Consumer Support by chat, telephone or e-mail:

Chat is the fastest way to get in touch with Bitdefender Consumer Support.

NOTE: Bitdefender telephone support is not toll-free!

Also, i would recommend you to enable 2FA from 2FA application (like Authy, Google Authenticator etc.), instead from e-mail, because like i already said in my prevoius comments, i use Authy and never had any problems logging to Bitdefender Central from Authy.

Regards.

• Nige
    Nige ✭✭

Thanks for the input.

The company turned 2fa on without my knowing.

i have just set up authy on my account. I can get in on my iapd but not my pc.

The pc is still sending emails f or 2fa.

• Nige
    Nige ✭✭
    edited July 2023

In case someone searches for the same or similar issue:

I uninstalled BD using the Bitdefender uninstall tool for my product (Total Security).

Reboot

Used CCleaner Registry clean to remove all entries related to BD

Reboot

Installed BD

Reboot

The booting into black screen issue is fixed.

To be fair Bitdefender support did offer to shadow me to help resolve the issue, so that’s good, and they turned off 2fa so I could login again.