I Have A Problem With "JS:Trojan.Cryxos.4572" Malware. Any Help?

Hi,

I have a problem with a piece of malware that both exists and doesn't exist.

An old friend was tricked and gave the scammers remote access to her computer; fortunately, she didn't hand over any money. It appears from log files that they got into her computer in the first instance through some old remote support software because they messaged her initially in Windows. (I'm a bit hazy on this because she is quite elderly and can't quite recall what happened, in what order.)

I ran a scan with Bitdefender, which didn't find anything. Then I installed Malwarebytes, which triggered below response from Bitdefender:

C:\Users\user_name\Downloads\This computer is BLOCKED.html has been detected as infected with JS:Trojan.Cryxos.4572. Bitdefender deleted this item, your device is safe.

The thing is, every time I run a Malwarebytes scan on the download folder, it triggers the same response in Bitdefender. Running a scan on the download folder with Bitdefender gives no results. Needless to say, a file named BLOCKED.html isn't anywhere on her computer, according to Everything.

Then I downloaded Housecall and Kaspersky, which found nothing, but the ESET scanner triggers that response from Bitdefender yet again, every time.

I uninstalled every piece of bloatware and all the remote support software, and looked through Program Files, Program Files (x86) and AppData, and got rid of a few other old things, but the Trojan still pops up every time in the scans. Her computer is an elderly Dell with up-to-date Windows 10 and current Bitdefender and Malwarebytes.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Peter

Answers