Bitdefender Scans At Startup. Any Help?

Is there a rationale behind Bitdefender's not doing an automatic scan (either quick or deep) on startup? This is kinda weird. But, ok....Im ok with it being done on restart.

I just wanted to find out the rationale as to why? Maybe they wil change it in the future so it automatically can scan upon powerup & Restart?

Best Answer

• Scott
    Scott Defender of the month mod
    edited March 2023 Answer ✓

Hi @kiwini

Since we have the option to enable an Early boot scan, which scans as mentioned below, this is one avenue of our startup scan protection

Taken from this article:

• Early boot scan. Select the Early boot scan option to scan your system at startup as soon as all its critical services are loaded. The mission of this feature is to improve threat detection at system startup and the boot time of your system.

Also, if you go to Protection/Antivirus open/Scans, then at the bottom, there are two preloaded scans. Both of which can be edited ( tick the 3 dots) then enabled to scan at startup.

Since we have the Early boot scan option, and also the ability to allow an early Quick Scan (or a daily System Scan, maybe unnecessary) it leaves it up to the users to decide. I know for a fact in being here for a while, if it were enforced by Bitdefender on startup, we would hear about it on this forum, and not in a pleasant way. I'm not trying to be unkind, but the majority of users would just want the Early Boot scan enabled (if even at that) and be able to rock and roll on their devices at startup, quickly, without any slow down or hindrance due to CPU and memory use they would have to "wait through" to get on with their work, play, etc.

Thank you for your thread, we appreciate the feedback, and at least now you know the options you do have :)

Scott

Bonus article on creating your own Custom scan :)

All Bitdefender Home Product User Guides:https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/user-guides/

Answers

• Very insightful and comprehensive post @Scott thank you! 👏👏👏

Premium Security & Bitdefender Endpoint Security Tools user

• I'm a new user in a trial evaluation - what is the difference in the early boot scan and a quick scan? Do they both scan same items? Even if it slows start up is there any advantage in running a quick scan at start up?

• Scott
    Scott Defender of the month mod
    edited July 2023

Hi @fh4bdc

Early boot scan services and startup apps. While a Quick scan scans all of these target areas.

It's up to you if you want to run a Quick Scan every time you restart your PC, I personally don't. I usually run a Quick scan once or twice a week, and a System scan a couple of times a month.

If you decide to run the Quick scan at start-up, you can have it scan more quickly by setting Scan task priority to High, or Low for lower system impact but it will take slightly longer to scan.

I hope this helped to answer your question.

Scott

All Bitdefender Home Product User Guides:https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/user-guides/

• Appreciate the info, helpful & does address my question.