How Do I Remove "Bing Wallpaper.exe" From My Windows 10 System?

I'd like to remove any and all things Bing from my system, can I use bitdefender to do this? I've tried uninstall/add remove programs but its not listed. Searching further it seems microsoft has made it purposefully difficult to remove it. I've also read that it's seen by some as a security/privacy threat? Thank you .

Answers

• Scott
    Scott Defender of the month mod
    edited March 2023

Hi @cisc

Since Bing is incorporated in the browsers itself, it cannot be removed by Bitdefender. You would have to manually delete it from within the browser settings. In this case, Chrome by going into Settings -> Search engine -> Manage search engines and site search, and delete it from there.

You would have to do a search for your browser if needed to find that option, or just don't use Bing from the search engine options.

Kind regards,

Scott

All Bitdefender Home Product User Guides:https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/user-guides/

• Thanks for your reply Scott. On more searching it seems it's bing wallpaper.exe that I want to find. I have bing image as a wallpaper and initially I just wanted to stop it from loading (i've put my own image now) but the wallpaper exe file must still be in my system I just can't find it. Is there any truth in the rumour that it's a key logging bit of software too that obviously woudn't be safe. I don't use it as a search engine. Thank you

• Scott
    edited March 2023

lol, your title edit from "how do I remove Bing from my Windows 10 system" or by @Gjoksi ? now changed things up a bit ;)

I'll get back to you :)

All Bitdefender Home Product User Guides:https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/user-guides/

• Gjoksi
    Gjoksi DEFENDER OF THE YEAR 2022 / DEFENDER OF THE MONTH ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2023

@Scott

Just to let you know, it was ME. 😁

Now, we finally clarified things that the OP is actually having trouble with an EXE file, not some search engine or wallpaper (image) file.

Regards.

• Scott
    edited March 2023

Try this, it may take a bit of time, but it will be more informative.

In File Explorer, click on the left-hand side, This PC, then at the top right in the search box, type *.jpg and let it find all the images. You will need to set your file view as view images, large to be able to see the search result.

It should pull up that background, wallpaper, then right-click it and notice the properties information for any file name or location, take a snapshot if needed for the information it shows.

Then right-click the image again to open the file location, and it should be there to delete.

I have not heard of it being a keylogger, but if you run a System scan, it will scan for keyloggers.

Kind regards,

Scott

• cisc
    cisc
    edited March 2023

Thanks Scott, I found some images with that method in C /windows/ web / screen. When I try to delete i'm told:

'you require permission to perform this action. You require permission from Trusted installer to make changes to this file' ..!

Seems odd to me :)

Just tried file shredder and told I can't ~ need permission!?

• Gjoksi
    Gjoksi DEFENDER OF THE YEAR 2022 / DEFENDER OF THE MONTH ✭✭✭✭✭

@cisc

Hello again.

I promoted you to Level 2.

You can now post screenshot(s), so we can better understand the issue.

Regards.

• Scott
    edited March 2023

Try one of the options from this website. I'm not sure if things would be different if you went into Windows safe mode, and ever since Windows 10 - 11, I really don't like doing that. I've been burned a couple of times in coming out of safe mode by looping Windows login screens. I have learned to disable Windows Drive Encryption, otherwise, it will ask for the recovery key to boot into windows. The other time was that I log into Windows by Windows Hello, and in rebooting from safe mode, wanted my pin number, which it wasn't taking. So again, I don't think it an option that would work in general, but by only following these instructions...yikes :)

Scott