Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Quicken Starting Very Slowly. Any Help?

Options

Starting yesterday (3/15/23) Quicken takes several minutes to open and my whole system slows down. There are no messages from BitDefender.

When I disable the BitDefender "Shield", Quicken still loads slowly. When I disable "Advanced Threat Defense", Quicken loads normally.

No Quicken files are in Quarantine.

Comments

• Scott
    Scott Defender of the month mod
    edited March 2023
    Options

Hi @DPH

Since you were able to narrow it down to Advanced Threat Defense, I would try adding the qw.exe file into Exceptions. Close out of Quicken, then add the file, then re-enable ATD, close out of Bitdefender, restart your device and see if Quicken loads normally.

Kind regards,

Scott

All Bitdefender Home Product User Guides:https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/user-guides/

• DPH
    Options

Thanks, Scott!

I added "qw.exe" to the exceptions and rebooted. Didn't make a difference. 

I added these other EXE files in the Quicken folder, rebooted, no difference:

Qw.exe

dpinfo.exe

quickenpatch.exe

qwsubprocess.exe

qwul.exe

At one point, BitDefender started showing issues connecting, loading modules, etc. (paraphrasing a bit here).

I reinstalled BitDefender and now Quicken loads normally.

Thanks again,

Don

• Scott
    edited March 2023
    Options

Thank you for that update, Don, I appreciate it. At times, a repair or reinstall can work magic. There may have been something going on (glitch wise?) in the background that adding the Exceptions etc. brought to the surface.

Have a great night :)

Scott

All Bitdefender Home Product User Guides:https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/user-guides/

• DPH
    Options

Well, I celebrated a bit too soon. Quicken is back to opening s-l-o-w-l-y if "Advanced Threat Defense" is enabled.

Bitdefender had an update that required a reboot "to fix some issues" but that didn't make any difference.

• Alexandru_BD
    Options

Hello @DPH,

I think that since the usual troubleshooting steps and exclusions did not make any difference, it's time to get in touch with one of the Support engineers for a more in-depth investigation of the device. Some logs might be required as well, for a more accurate diagnosis. You can head to the link below and choose one of the available contact channels to reach the Support Teams:

In the meantime, it seems that the only workaround would be to temporarily disable the Advanced Threat Defense module while using Quicken.

Regards

Premium Security & Bitdefender Endpoint Security Tools user

• Scott
    edited March 2023
    Options

@DPH bummer about the reinstall not totally resolving it. Just for comparison, in launching Quicken from the desktop icon it takes anywhere from 12-15 seconds for the program to fully load the UI (edit: this is with ATD both enabled and disabled). My desktop only version of Quickbooks 2017, loads very quickly. My PC specs, and Quicken version, I also have a SSD drive.

• DPH
    Options

Thanks Alexandru_BD. I'll do that.

• DPH
    Options

Scott, it normally takes less than 10 seconds for Quicken to load (I also have an SSD). When ATD is enabled, it takes several minutes and the rest of the system is unresponsive until Quicken has fully loaded.

• DPH
    DPH
    edited March 2023
    Options

UPDATE: I contacted BitDefender support and provided the log files they requested.

Their suggestions:

• Add Quicken to Exceptions (which I had already done and had let them know initially)
    • Clean my Registry
    • Defragment my hard drive

Not a very fruitful exchange.

• Scott
    edited March 2023
    Options

I agree, not a whole lot there. Maybe, when they figure out what's going on with the gamer's having to disable ATD in order to play their games, would be a universal update fix that would help in this case, too?

• DPH
    DPH
    edited March 2023
    Options

The plot thickens:

I’d just remembered that BitDefender had recently started interfering with program updates to my RoboForm password manager. I had to disable ATD to update RoboForm. I’d added Exceptions then but it didn’t help.

RoboForm offers to automatically fill in my Quicken data file password when I open Quicken. Maybe BitDefender is “fighting” RoboForm and not Quicken?

I had informed BitDefender Tech Support of all the above revelation before their last suggestions.

It’s strange to me that BitDefender shows no popups or has any record of blocking activity.

BTW: I got an email with a survey request about my experience with Tech Support. I decided to let it go. 😉

• DPH
    DPH
    edited March 2023
    Options

UPDATE (SITUATION REMEDIED): BitDefender Support logged into my PC today, added a few things to the Exceptions list, gathered some log files and said they'd look at them and get back to me.

After they logged out, I looked in the Bitdefender Quarantined Items and saw the following:

"C:\Windows\System32\Tasks\Open URL by RoboForm"

I added it to the Exceptions and now Quicken opens normally. So it was indeed my password manager that BitDefender didn't like. I don't think it was Quicken at all.

P.S. It was the Bitdefender "Exploit detection" module that was having issues with RoboForm.

• Scott
    Options

@DPH that is good news :) Thank you for posting back your results, as it's something that could possibly be helpful in future troubleshooting on the forum.

😊

Scott