Safe Files Keeps Blocking Several Ransomware Files

For the last couple of months Bitdefender anti-ransomware tool/Safe Files feature keeps on blocking a few same files. Lately mostly only the one called /bin/rm, previously there were 2-3 more.

Obviously the malware not able to take control/encrypt my files. The strange thing is that Bitdefender doesn't find anything during any sorts of scans + apart from this file name it doesn't specify neither the app, nor the location the malware is located. How do I locate it and get rid of it from my laptop? Thanks!

Answers

• Gjoksi
    Gjoksi DEFENDER OF THE YEAR 2022 / DEFENDER OF THE MONTH ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2023

Hello.

I think that the best option for you is to contact Bitdefender Consumer Support, as the support engineers could take a deeper look at the issue, so do the steps below.

First, take screenshot(s) of the issue,

create a log file on your MacOS device using BDProfiler, by following these steps:

and

create a log file on your MacOS device using BDsysLog, by following these steps:

create a log file on your Windows device using BDsysLog, by following these steps:

Next, contact Bitdefender Consumer Support by e-mail:

with short description of the issue.

After that, you will get an automated reply by the Bitdefender Customer Care Team, with your ticket number.

Now, in reply to that automated reply, you can send the screenshot(s) you already took and the log files you already created in the first step.

Since you are all done, just wait for the support engineers to investigate your issue and find a solution to fix the issue.

Remember that the screenshot(s) and the log files will help a lot to the support engineers for better and faster investigation on your issue and finding a solution.

Regards.

• Thanks for such a detailed response! A few things - it's Macbook, not windows. Also, log files only entail me sharing info with the BD engineers, not their access to the system, right? I wouldn't feel comfortable giving anyone access to, even BD engineers.

I have a feeling this has to be a relatively commo issue, thus maybe description with the screenshots would suffice.

• Gjoksi
    Gjoksi DEFENDER OF THE YEAR 2022 / DEFENDER OF THE MONTH ✭✭✭✭✭

Hello again.

I edited my previous comment, now you have links for macOS.

You could try only with the screenshots, maybe it would be enough for the engineers to solve the issue.

The log files collect only technical data (Bitdefender log files, Bitdefender program files etc.), so the engineers don't have an access to the whole system, especially not your sensitive data (like documents, photos etc.).

Regards.

• Just wanted to add that I am getting the issue happening. Ended up in a loop and had to use the activity monitor to shut BitDefender down.

• Yes, provided BD with a Syslog file but they weren't able to help in any way. Still getting alerts of these files getting blocked every other day