Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Disappearing from System Tray

Options

On my Bitdefender Total Security, when I initially installed it, I would get several icons on my windows 11 system tray, for each scan being done, and then with the last one advising my system was safe. However, after a time, these icons no longer appeared in the system tray. I then uninstalled and re-installed it, then once again getting the icons. However again after a time, they disappeared once again. On checking the task manager, I am finding that BitDefender is running in the background, however even so, the icons disappear. I really do not want to have to re-install it every time the icons disappear, so I would like to know how to get them back.

Comments

• Scott
    Scott Defender of the month mod
    Options

Hi @CoastalGuy

This has been a bit of a sporadic issue since about August. See if what this member posted helps.

@Alexandru_BD do you have any follow-up information from your end, as far as what the engineers may have figured out?

All Bitdefender Home Product User Guides:https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/user-guides/

• Alexandru_BD
    Alexandru_BD admin
    edited October 2023
    Options

Hello,

Indeed, there is a know issue concernig the system tray icon. Based on the reports received so far, the behavior manifested itself first time in August following an update and was fixed punctually at that time. However, if the icon still dissapears, try the following:

Step 1: Search "Bitdefender" in Windows Search Option.

Step 2: After the Bitdefender app comes in search result, right click on it, hover to select "Open file Location" by left click.

Step 3: This will take you to a shortcut of the app. Now right click on that shortcut and go in its "Properties".

Step 4: Under the Properties tab you'll find that the app icon is missing. There is an option to "Change Icon", left click on it. Then select "Bitdefender" icon.

Step 5: If you're already running the app, then the icon will still appear blank. Close the app from the taskbar. Then reopen and it should be displayed properly.

Let us know how it goes.

A separate investigation was opened for cases where the issue resurfaced. During this investigation, for the most recent reports it has been noticed that the reinstall fixes this, but only temporarily. After a few days, the Bitdefender icon seems to be missing again. However, this doesn't happen for everyone so it appears that the behavior is isolated. In the event the icon cannot be brought back at all or it dissapears after some time, kindly contact the Technical support teams as they can link your report to the ongoing investigation and this way you will be kept up to date with the progress and resolution. You can use the link below to contact them:

https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Choose from the available contact methods, chat, phone and email/ticket. Chat would be the fastest way to get in touch with them.

Regards,

Alex

Premium Security & Bitdefender Endpoint Security Tools user

• CoastalGuy
    edited October 2023
    Options

Tried the support link provided by Alexandru_BD, but after submitting my inquiry, I keep getting a message that the ticket cannot be registered, so I am not sure it is going through or not. Anyway, my problem is not with the image on the desktop icon disappearing, but instead the icons that appear in the system tray, one for each scan being performed and one showing my system is safe (showing BitDefender is actually running in the background. After re-installing to get them back, however I found I can also using the task bar settings, turning off and then back on the options for Bitdefender to show in the system tray, and then restarting my PC. While this works, I question why these keep disappearing??? (See Attached)

• Alexandru_BD
    Alexandru_BD admin
    edited October 2023
    Options

@CoastalGuy can you select the chat option instead? When you connect to a Bitdefender representative, they will automatically open a ticket for you and follow up with the chat transcript as well. This way you may attach any further documentation there, logs if required and they can also keep you up to date on the investigation. I suspect a bug that resurfaced somehow.

Regards

Premium Security & Bitdefender Endpoint Security Tools user