Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Bitdefender Blocking Microsoft?

Options

Today I 'm just getting the following continuous critical notifications from my Bitdefender IPS:

msedge.exe attempted to establish a connection relying on an expired certificate to bzib.nelreports.net. We blocked the connection to keep your data safe since websites must renew their certificates with a certification authority to stay current, and outdated security certificates represent a risk.

The problem here is that "bzib.nelreports.net" belongs to Microsoft ( see here: https://www.netify.ai/resources/domains/nelreports.net). In addition, the specific URL is 100% clean, by VirusTotal. And my question: Does Microsoft forget to renew its Cert or it is a false alarm from BD?

Comments

• Gjoksi
    Gjoksi DEFENDER OF THE YEAR 2022 / DEFENDER OF THE MONTH ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hello.

This is known issue.

Check out my comment:

Regards.

• AndreasV
    Options

Hi Gjoksi and thanks for your answer.

Actually I am not sure if the above is your final answer or I have to find it somewhere else... I see that you just mention BD support and waiting for an answer.

What I am looking for is the root-cause and a work-around (if anyone knows).

I receive such notifications, in my case, (and in many cases of other users, as I can read on net) even if the edge is closed. And yes, the EDGE process is running sometimes, since MS performs specific tasks via it.

• Gjoksi
    Options

Hello again.

Like i said, i contacted support and told them that a lot of users at this moment have the same issue, so they should act as soon as possible for a fix.

You could also contact Bitdefender Consumer Support by chat, telephone or e-mail:

Chat is the fastest way to get in touch with Bitdefender Consumer Support.

Select: Prevention & Threat Removal -> Windows -> Threat Removal, click on Contact Support in the black box and then click on Chat 24/7.

NOTE: Bitdefender telephone support is not toll-free!

That is what i did.

Regards.

• Since November 11th I have the same issue with "bzib.nelreports.net/".

• Liobet
    Liobet ✭✭✭
    Options

To Jureto:

Please follow Gjoksi's advice just above your message.

Chat is the fastest way to get in touch with Bitdefender Consumer Support.

Select: Prevention & Threat Removal -> Windows -> Threat Removal, click on Contact Support in the black box and then click on Chat 24/7.

NOTE: Bitdefender telephone support is not toll-free!

Cheers,

L.

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D 8-Core Processor3.40 GHz 32,0 Go [ Bitdefender Internet Security + VPN]

• SecCon
    Options

Same her, my monitor is pinging me all the time, I don't use Edge but my wife does. I do not expect her to contact B support for this, nor do I have that access to her computer to give support what they need, I think.

• Same problem. Its driving me nuts!

• since filing 3 new tax returns i have received 58 critical notifications about an expired certicicate belonging to turbo/ intuit tax software what's going on?

• Gjoksi
    edited November 2023
    Options

Hello.

OS Windows 10 Pro 22H2 x64 With Latest Windows Updates Installed; Installed On 18.01.2023; OS Build 19045.3636; Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.19053.1000.0; BD Total Security 27.0.23.112; Mozilla Firefox 119.0.1 x64; Microsoft Edge 119.0.2151.58 x64

It happens ONLY with Microsoft Edge, but NOT on Mozilla Firefox.

The same moment i start/open Microsoft Edge with start page Google, the pop-up notification in the lower right corner appears.

Obviously, the website's certificate has expired, that is problem with the website and Bitdefender is detecting that problem.

But, there is a solution, checked by myself and it worked for me:

1. Click Protection on the navigation menu on the Bitdefender interface.

2. In the Online Threat Prevention pane, click on Settings.

3. Click on Manage exceptions.

4. Click on + Add an Exception.

5. Type in the corresponding field this text: https://bzib.nelreports.net/api/report?cat=bingbusiness

6. Enable the switch next to Online Threat Prevention.

7. Click Save to save the changes and close the window.

And say good-bye to the annoning pop-ups. :)

@Alexandru_BD @Mike_BD @camarie Guys, anything to add here?

Regards.

• Gjoksi
    Options

Hello again.

This is the e-mail i got from Bitdefender Consumer Support:

"Hello, 

Please accept my apologies for our delayed response and thanks for your reply.

Microsoft owns the domain, and the SSL certificate recently expired, but there is no danger of malware or harm to your device.

This notification is triggered by the Online Threat Prevention module whenever the website you are trying to access doesn't have an SSL certificate(HTTPS) and that is not safe to access it. 

This alert appears when you try to visit a secured website (HTTPS) with an invalid security certificate. It tends to be websites with lots of ads, such as news websites, and analytics companies with an expired certificate trying to establish a connection. If you wish, you can check their SSL certificates at https://www.sslshopper.com/

We understand that several community members have raised concerns about the Certificate issue on Microsoft forums, and most probably they are working on a resolution and will release a fix very soon.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftedge/forum/all/what-is-bzibnelreportsnet-and-deffnelreportsnet-in/747c0517-f9d5-4ab6-b11f-cce0defd5f50?page=3

For further information, please contact the Microsoft Support Team.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/contactus/

Looking forward to hearing from you. 

Have a great day!  

Best regards,

Cosmin I.

Technical Support Engineer"

• Alexandru_BD
    Options

Premium Security & Bitdefender Endpoint Security Tools user