Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contactingβ€―Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Faster USB drive auto scan

Options

Good morning,

I suggest the option to have faster automatic scanning of USB drives. USB drives today are large in capacity and as a result can be filled with many small, medium and large files. So if you insert a very large USB drive the scan takes a few minutes and consequently before removing it you have to wait for the scan to finish (unless you interrupt it voluntarily). Therefore this becomes a bit boring, also because if you insert it several times you always have to wait this time. Therefore it would be ideal to optimize this scan by making it as fast as possible, precisely to avoid long waits in the case of many files to be scanned.

Thank you. πŸ™‚

Nunzio Β·

Bitdefender Plus, Windows 10 Pro-32 Bit, CPU Intel Core2 Duo T7500, RAM 4 Gb - Bitdefender Mobile Security

1 votes

Active Β· Last Updated

Comments

• Nunzio77
    Nunzio77 Defender of the month mod
    Options

@camarie what do you think?

Nunzio Β·

Bitdefender Plus, Windows 10 Pro-32 Bit, CPU Intel Core2 Duo T7500, RAM 4 Gb - Bitdefender Mobile Security

• camarie
    camarie Principal Software Developer BD Staff
    Options

Well, it would be an idea. But the USB drives are a prime target for infection due to their mobility, so a lighter scan would not be an ideal solution.

But I asked the question on the inner channels here. Let's see what other opinions I can get.

• Nunzio77
    Options

Thanks @camarie you are very kind. πŸ˜ƒ

Keep me informed. πŸ˜‰

Perhaps the user could also choose whether to have a quick or in-depth scan, also based on their PC characteristics.

I also take this opportunity to point out that on two of my PCs the on-demand scan setting doesn't work and it never worked even before I reformatted the PC. Only the automatic one works and the on-demand one comes into operation when the antivirus is deactivated. This happens on two of my laptops with both the Plus and Free versions.

Nunzio Β·

• camarie
    Options

That would imply a new option. I'll propose this.

On-demand scan setting not working sounds like a bug. Can you elaborate? What version, perhaps a sketch of your settings, just to make an idea on how we can try to reproduce.

• Nunzio77
    edited November 2023
    Options

@camarie the requested information:

PC-ASUS device name

Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T7500 Processor @ 2.20 GHz 2.20 GHz

Installed RAM 4.00 GB (3.00 GB usable)

System type 32-bit operating system, x64-based processor

Windows 10 Pro edition

22H2 version

Installation date: β€Ž02/β€Ž08/β€Ž2023

Operating system version 19045.3693

Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.19053.1000.0

Thank you πŸ˜‰

Nunzio Β·

• Nunzio77
    Options

The operating system is the same on another HP PC, but not having it here with me I cannot recover the detailed information of the PC.

Nunzio Β·

• Nunzio77
    Options

Nunzio Β·

• camarie
    Options

Not yet, but I proposed it.

• Nunzio77
    Options

Nunzio Β·

• garioch7
    garioch7 Defender of the month ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

It would be nice if BD could store USB files somewhere like it "learns" about the files on your OS system drive. It first has to learn, and then it scans more quickly. Like at @Nunzio77 , I have a larger USB that I insert frequently. It contains all of my "toolbox" files and utilities for helping clients. Every time I insert it, I must wait for it to be scanned again or cancel the scan, which I never do. I would rather wait than take the remote chance of infecting my computer.

Just my two cents. Have a great day.

Regards,

Phil

Former Bleeping Computer Malware Response Instructor

• Nunzio77
    Options

@camarie regarding the bug that doesn't prompt me to scan the USB device on demand, do you have any news? Have you discovered what the problem is?

Nunzio Β·

• Flexx
    Flexx DEFENDER OF THE YEAR 2023 / DEFENDER OF THE MONTH ✭✭✭✭✭ mod
    Options

@camarie if I am not mistaken, making the scans faster will consume a higher amount of processor speed than normal.

Regards

Life happens, Coffee helps!

Show your Attitude, when you reach that Altitude!

Bitdefender Ultimate Security Plus (user)

• Nunzio77
    Options

@camarie news?

Nunzio Β·

• camarie
    Options

The issue has been created at that time and it's still in the analysis. Not to minimize it, but we had to take care of two important updates (one of them yesterday) and we had little time to push it. I cannot state at this time a date when this will be implemented. But I will keep pushing for it, that I can (and will) do.

• Nunzio77
    Options

Nunzio Β·

• Nunzio77
    Options

Nunzio Β·

• camarie
    Options

Not yet. I forwarded to the appropriate guys at that time, and AFAIK it is scheduled in the future. But I don't know exactly when, I just sent a new email asking for an update.

• camarie
    Options

Updates: a fix was done and tested, and an update will follow shortly.

• Nunzio77
    Options

Nunzio Β·

• camarie
    Options

Just to be clear, the fix is regarding the autoscan settings not being correctly persistent across restart.

• Nunzio77
    Options

Ah ok, I thought this USB device detection bug had been fixed.

Nunzio Β·

• Nunzio77
    edited March 1
    Options

While waiting for perhaps a quick automatic scan of USB drives to be added, please at least fix this bug, I've been reporting it for a long time.

With AV enabled, when on-demand scanning of USB drives is enabled and you insert a USB stick, no pop-up appears asking you to scan the inserted device. So this setting doesn't work. However, when the AV's real time protection is not active it works. It's quite embarrassing...

Try to report it to those responsible to resolve it... @Mike_BD @Alexandru_BD @camarie

Nunzio Β·

• camarie
    Options

Reported to the guys owning the module. You caught us in a middle of an update, but sometimes during the next week they will probably get back.

• Nunzio77
    Options

Nunzio Β·

• Nunzio77
    Options

Hi @camarie have you had any news about the bug where USB drives are not recognized when the AV is active?

Only automatic scanning works but for large USB with many files it takes a long time using high percentage of CPU. So it would be helpful to fix this bug with on-demand scan settings so that when I want I scan and when I don't I don't.

Thanks! πŸ˜‰

Nunzio Β·

• Nunzio77
    Options

I installed BD Plus on a new PC with I3 CPU and 8 GB of RAM and the same problem occurs on this PC too.
    So I wonder when this bug of not recognizing USB drives when they are connected to the PC will be fixed. Only the automatic scan works but with USB keys with many files and large dimensions (32 GB and over) it takes a long time to scan every time it is inserted (very annoying).

@Alexandru_BD @Mike_BD @camarie news? Help… 😊

Nunzio Β·

• Nunzio77
    Options

HI,
    There are updates?
    Unfortunately, am I starting to lose hope about a possible solution?πŸ€”

Nunzio Β·

• Flexx
    Flexx DEFENDER OF THE YEAR 2023 / DEFENDER OF THE MONTH ✭✭✭✭✭ mod
    edited April 18
    Options

def calm_down_friend():
    while not developer_reply_received():
    keep_calm()
    drink_coffee()
    make_jokes()

def developer_reply_received():
    return True # Placeholder logic, assuming we always receive a reply

def keep_calm():
    print("Keep calm and carry on coding...")

def drink_coffee():
    print("Fueling up with coffee...")

def make_jokes():
    print("Making jokes to pass the time...")

calm_down_friend()

@Nunzio77 it's a python s.c.r.i.p.t, the output of the code is the current reply of your last comment πŸ˜‚

Regards

Life happens, Coffee helps!

Show your Attitude, when you reach that Altitude!

Bitdefender Ultimate Security Plus (user)

• Alexandru_BD
    Options

Lol πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

@Nunzio77 I'm afraid I don't have news here. Maybe @camarie knows more. πŸ˜…

Premium Security & Bitdefender Endpoint Security Tools user