Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Say goodbye to email-related worries and embrace a more secure digital experience: Email Protection

Options
Alexandru_BD
Alexandru_BD admin
edited March 14 in News & Blogs

As we all know, some emails can be dangerous due to various forms of online threats and malicious intent associated with them. Bitdefender has added a new layer of defense in its security solutions, called Email Protection, that directly integrates with Gmail and Outlook webmail services, clarifying to users which email is dangerous or safe.

Click on the articles below to find out more:

Premium Security & Bitdefender Endpoint Security Tools user

Comments

• garioch7
    garioch7 Defender of the month ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Alexandru_BD

I currently use MailWasher Pro (MWP) to block spam messages. I configure rules in that app that will auto-delete it.

My question is whether this new BD component will cause any issues working alongside MWP or am I wiser to leave this new security component disabled to avoid conflicts? Has any such testing been done? What do you advise?

By the way, regardless of the advice offered for my particular situation, I think that this is a great enhancement to BD security products. 👍

Have a great day.

Regards,

Phil

Former Bleeping Computer Malware Response Instructor

• Cristian Dumitru
    Cristian Dumitru Defender of the month ✭✭✭
    Options

Hi !

Cool !

But for Yahoo mail?

• garioch7
    Options

@Cristian Dumitru ,

Yes, it works with Yahoo Mail, Gmail, etc. Those emails are being fetched and filtered just fine.

There is a temporary glitch just now for the last few weeks because MS changed the ground rules for logging in and fetching MS mail apps (Live, Outlook, and Hotmail). I have no doubt that Firetrust will have the issue resolved in short order.

I will let you know when the issue has been resolved. I became a beta tester because of this issue. I avoid being a beta tester, but I believe in the product. I have had a great experience with MWP since I purchased lifetime licences in April 2022.

I don't wish to diminish the great news that Bitdefender has introduced this new email protection module, but since it does not yet work with Yahoo, I think MWP is worthy of consideration for Yahoo Mail users. I fully expect that Bitdefender will enhance this new module, as they continuously do.

Have a great day.

Regards,

Phil

• Alexandru_BD
    Options

• Alexandru_BD
    Options

Hello @garioch7,

To be honest, the scenario you have described hasn't been tested, but I personally don't see any conflict between the two.

• garioch7
    Options

@Alexandru_BD ,

Thank you for your reply. Well, since I am a beta tester now for MWP, I guess I will turn on BD Email Protection and see what happens. Consider it BD beta testing.

Have a great day.

Regards,

Phil

• garioch7
    Options

@Alexandru_BD ,

I just turned on my laptop computer this afternoon, as I do every week, to update, backup, and scan it. BDTS updated to Version 27.0.27.130. There is no option for Email Protection under "Protection Features." I rebooted the laptop twice after the BD update, but no joy. There are no errors in Central for that device.

MWP was not active. Fast Startup is disabled, as is hibernation. Both the desktop and laptop are Dell computers. The laptop is a Dell XPS 15 7590 about three years old. Both computers are running Windows 11 Pro, fully updated.

Any ideas? Have a great weekend.

Regards,

Phil

• Cristian Dumitru
    Options

Good evening Sir Phil !

Thank You for the informations !

All the best !

Cristian

• Cristian Dumitru
    Options

For Alexandru _ BD ( the Great ) !😀

I m waiting for Yahoo.

Cristian

• Alexandru_BD
    Options

Hi @garioch7,

Is email protection available for you now?

• garioch7
    Options

@Alexandru_BD ,

I just turned on the laptop and Email Protection was now listed. I got a message that something went wrong with Email protection signing in. I rebooted and turned off the VPN, which does seem to cause issues with some apps. After the reboot, my two accounts were listed, presumably with data from my Central account behind the scenes. I turned the VPN back on, and everything seems to be working.

Trust me, the Email Protection component was missing on the laptop until today.

In any event, it is now resolved. I don't know what you did but thank you.

Have a great day.

Regards,

Phil

• Alexandru_BD
    Options

• Cristian Dumitru
    Options

😂🤣😂 !!!

• garioch7
    Options

@Alexandru_BD ,

You're pretty handy with that wrench! Thank you again.

Have a great day.

Regards,

Phil

• One bit of feedback I'd like to leave on this feature is that I'd like the ability to control tags. I find the "safe" tag to be too much clutter and I hide it in Gmail. Periodically Bitdefender will re-enable it. I would like the ability to control this.

Something else would be the ability to report a tag as false positive or to flag as "should be positive".

All that being said I love the new feature.

• Alexandru_BD
    Options

Thank you for your feedback @Kn1nJa ! 👍️ I'll make sure it reaches the Bitdefender developers.

• solus
    Options

Where should questions/feedback be provided regarding the new (Gmail) Email Protection? It seems like some people have posted about it under "Windows" -> "Protection - Malware/Firmware/etc", but the feature really has nothing to do with Windows or Mac, since it's targeting an online service. The "Other Products & Services" category seems like a good place, but there's no "Email Protection" subcategory.

• Alexandru_BD
    Options

Hello @solus,

You can post your questions and feedback here anytime, and you can also open a new discussion on the forum, if you wish.

Email Protection is an actual security feature, so yes, related discussions can be posted under the Protection category, according to the OS that you are using. We haven't created a special category because this is not a standalone product or service, it's basically an integrated part of the premium/ultimate security packages. Having too many subcategories can also make the forum look cluttered.

Regards,

Alex

• garioch7
    Options

@Alexandru_BD ,

Email protection is falsely labelling an email from trupanion.com as "Dangerous." Trupanion is the company I have a contract with for pet insurance. I can find no way to add an exception or to whitelist emails from that domain.

Any ideas? I have labelled the email as "Bitdefender Safe," but the Email Protection module is still showing one dangerous email identified.

Thanks, and have a great day.

Regards,

Phil

• solus
    solus
    edited March 4
    Options

@Alexandru_BD, thanks for getting back to me about where to post feedback.

I have similar questions to the ones @garioch7 recently asked. Numerous emails received from reputable companies have been flagged as "dangerous" in my Gmail inbox. These include emails from Dunkin' Donuts, Hilton Honors (hotel reward program), and IsThereAnyDeal (Steam game price tracker).

I couldn't find any logs related email protection for Gmail under the "Notifications" section of Bitdefender: Total Security, nor could I find any specifics on why an email was marked dangerous. Was it due to a link or image URL included in its contents? Something to do with tracking? The sender address? Nothing in these emails raises any red flags for me when I manually inspect them.

It would be very nice to be able to identify exactly why an email was flagged as dangerous, and also to be able to respond to the event by ignoring or whitelisting the issue globally or for that sender, if it appears to be a false positive.

• garioch7
    Options

@Alexandru_BD ,

The apparent inability of the email protection component to be "instructed" by the user as to which emails s/he deems safe is a significant shortcoming of this component, IMHO. Granted, it is very new, but are the developers looking at adding this capability any time soon? An update would be appreciated.

Thank you, and have a great day.

Regards,

Phil

• Cristian Dumitru
    Options
    Greetings !
    Today I decided to try this type of email protection.
    I will keep a close eye on the results, spam removal, etc

• Alexandru_BD
    Alexandru_BD admin
    edited March 14
    Options

A quick update here for @solus and @garioch7.

For false positive cases where legitimate emails are being flagged as dangerous, the Support engineers will require email samples to investigate punctually. This process resembles the one we have here, but it's being carried out by different teams, thus the reports should not be submitted there. In conclusion, it's necessary that such reports reach them directly in order to be addressed in a timely manner, and once they validate the source, wrong detections are corrected within a few hours.

So you may see this as another joint effort where users can contribute and report incorrect detections to help the development teams enhance the antivirus capabilities and improve its detections. 😁

Regards,

Alex

• garioch7
    Options

@Alexandru_BD ,

I am confused by your post. 🤷‍♂️ Where do we send such reports? Can you not ask them to look at the trupanion.com domain that I reported here?

It would be much simpler if the user could report from within the Email Protection module or, better yet, whitelist those "False Positives," causing the automatic notification of the relevant BD support team.

Just my two cents. Have a great day.

Regards,

Phil

• Alexandru_BD
    Options

@garioch7 - It would be much simpler if the user could report from within the Email Protection module or, better yet, whitelist those "False Positives," causing the automatic notification of the relevant BD support team. - You are right about this, I can send it as a feature request. Perhaps there could be a button there that would help users report wrong detections directly to the responsible team. I need to discuss this proposal with the product teams. I've got a feeling this involves further development and integration within the module, so let's see the verdict.

For now, the only option remains to contact the Support teams, preferably via chat to report emails that were incorrectly flagged and the agents will take care of them.

Thank you for your feedback and suggestions! 👍️

• garioch7
    Options

@Alexandru_BD ,

Thank you for considering my suggestion. I appreciate it.

Have a great day.

Regards,

Phil