Bitdefender needs to uninstall AVG which does not exist

Hello,

I just purchased Bitdefender, and I've been trying to install it. It will not install until I uninstall the current security apps - AVG in particular. I do not have AVG, but, just to play it safe, I downloaded AVG's uninstaller, and, as I expected, it did not remove anything because there was nothing to remove. However, Bitdefender still has the same requirement, and I am now stuck.

Could you please recommend a solution?

Thanks.

Answers

• Hello @Peter-129,

Once the uninstallation of AVG is complete, you will need to restart your computer. Then you can start installing Bitdefender. Normally, the installation should go through flawlessly afterwards. Was AVG ever installed on that device? Reboot and try again. If this doesn't do the trick, try to run the AVG uninstaller tool again and see if Bitdefender can be successfully installed after the restart.

Regards,

Alex

Premium Security & Bitdefender Endpoint Security Tools user

• Kindly check if the following steps help you:

1) Restart your PC in safe mode. You can follow this guide: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/start-your-pc-in-safe-mode-in-windows-92c27cff-db89-8644-1ce4-b3e5e56fe234

2) Open the Run command and execute the following commands one by one:

temp – delete all the files in the folder.

%temp% – delete all the files in the folder.

prefetch – delete all the files in the folder.

3) As soon as the desktop opens, assuming your Windows drive is 'C,' open the following locations in the 'Run' command (Windows icon + R) one by one:

C:\Program Files (delete any folder with the name AVG)

C:\Program Files (x86) (delete any folder with the name AVG)

C:\ProgramData (delete any folder with the name AVG)

C:\Users{your PC name}\AppData\Local (delete any folder with the name AVG)

4) Open the registry editor through the 'Run' command (Windows icon + R) and then type 'regedit.' Once the registry editor opens, click on 'Edit' -> 'Find,' and make sure to checkmark 'Match whole strings only.' Type 'AVG' in the search box and click 'Find Next.' If any file or folder with the name 'AVG' is found, delete it. Continue searching the registry and deleting until the search reports no registry keys found. Restart your PC in normal mode by unchecking the option you selected to run the system in safe mode, and then click 'Apply.'

5) If everything appears clean, then it may be necessary to have the Bitdefender support team check on it.

Kindly contact Bitdefender support by visiting https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/

Based on your selected product and the type of issue you're facing, you can get in touch with a support representative through email, chat, or a phone call.

If you choose email, you will receive a ticket number on your registered email. The support team will reply within the next 24-48 hours, excluding weekends.

Regards

Life happens, Coffee helps!

Show your Attitude, when you reach that Altitude!

Bitdefender Ultimate Security Plus (user)

• Hello, @Alexandru_BD and @Flexx ,

Thank you both very much. Running the AVG Uninstaller and restarting the computer several times didn't work. But when I restarted the PC in safety mode and deleted all the AVG files and folders, it did the trick. All is well now.

Thanks again.

All the best,

Peter

• Life happens, Coffee helps!

Show your Attitude, when you reach that Altitude!

Bitdefender Ultimate Security Plus (user)