Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

I get an annoying upgrade popup with VPN, how do I get rid of it or do I cancel my account?

Options
Jacktar
Jacktar ✭✭
edited March 13 in VPN

I get an annoying upgrade popup with VPN, how do I get rid of it or do I cancel my account?

I am using a mac with Safari

Answers

• Alexandru_BD
    Alexandru_BD admin
    edited March 13
    Options

Hello @Jacktar and welcome to the community!

Is it a recommendation to upgrade to Premium VPN and have you checked if the daily traffic quota for the standard VPN has been exceeded, because this can also trigger that notification?

VPN notifications can be disabled from two places. First, bring up the Bitdefender UI, go to Settings -> General -> disable Recommendation Notifications, as shown below:

Then, open the VPN app (it should normally have a desktop shortcut, since the VPN is installed alongside Bitdefender) and go to Notifications -> toggle the switch to the OFF position.

Remember, if the 200 MB daily traffic per device quota has been exceeded, you will receive a notification in this regard.

I hope the information is helpful.

Have a nice day,

Alex

Premium Security & Bitdefender Endpoint Security Tools user

• Alexandru_BD
    Options

Now I've just realised these will look different on macOS, but the principle is the same, VPN notifications can be disabled from settings.

• Jacktar
    Jacktar ✭✭
    Options

The grey is greyed out is settings, it can't be disabled

• Alexandru_BD
    Options

Hi @Jacktar,

Which setting is grayed out, can you post a screenshot here?

Thanks!

• Jacktar
    Jacktar ✭✭
    Options

apologies, I think I've found it now in Notifications rather than Appearance

• Alexandru_BD
    Options

Here, the option is located under the General tab -> notifications:

Hope this helps.

• Alexandru_BD
    Options

I'm not using a mac so I searched for the relevant screenshot. 😅

• I have a similar issue, I did exceed the 200Mb yesterday and received the pop up telling me to upgrade.

I tried to use VPN today and was using it for about 6 minutes when again a pop up telling me to upgrade appeared, it did not show in the graph that I had again exceeded the allowance. I clicked on the X at the top of the pop up and it disappeared only to reapear when I tried to connect.

I have turned off the recomended notifications in the main screen and also turned off Notifications in the VPN but I still have the problem.

• Alexandru_BD
    Options

Hi @Metro_Man,

That upgrade screen may appear in the following scenarios:

1. the 200mb daily traffic quota has been reached;
    2. the user is trying to change the server they are connecting to and this option is only available with the Premium VPN version;
    3. The user is trying to use the multi-hop feature which is also a Premium VPN feature.

The recommendation notifications and VPN notifications will not affect the display of this type of message, because it's set to be triggered in specific scenarios.

It would be useful to know if you actually counted the traffic for yesterday's connection. So if the connection was disconnected, can you tell us what the counter looked like, if it was working at all? I don't exclude the possibility that the traffic was consumed again, but it just wasn't updated in the application in due time, because the information is not really updated instantly. I also don't exclude the possibility that it disconnected for no apparent reason after 0, 50 or 100mb for that matter..

Regards,

Alex