Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Is email virtually untraceable with VPN ON?

Options

When my VPN is active and I send an email, is it virtually untraceable (except for people smarter than those clever people at BitDefender HQ) ?? 😁

Answers

• Alexandru_BD
    Options

Hello @PJ50 and welcome to the Community.

This is an interesting question with multiple nuances I think. In a nutshell, using a VPN can enhance your online privacy and security by encrypting your internet connection and masking your IP address. But I think there are a few things to consider when it comes to email correspondence.

Even if you're using a VPN, the content of your email is still visible to the email service provider (ESP) you're using, as well as any intermediaries through which the email passes. If the email is unencrypted, the ESP and anyone intercepting the email can read its contents. Metadata such as the sender's and recipient's email addresses, the time the email was sent, and the subject line are typically not encrypted and can still be tracked. While a VPN can hide your IP address, other metadata can potentially be used to trace the origin of the email. Furthermore, email service providers typically log information about email transactions, including IP addresses. Even if you're using a VPN, the email service provider may still log the IP address associated with your email activity.

Depending on your VPN of choice, if the connection is not configured properly, it's possible for DNS leaks or IP leaks to occur, which could expose your real IP address and compromise your anonymity.

While using a VPN can add a layer of privacy and security to your online activities, it's essential to understand its limitations. If you require truly untraceable communication, you may need to explore more advanced privacy tools and techniques, such as encrypted email services, or cryptographic methods like PGP encryption - https://www.varonis.com/blog/pgp-encryption

I hope the information is helpful.

Regards,

Alex

Premium Security & Bitdefender Endpoint Security Tools user

• PJ50
    Options

Thanks Alex - under a "gagging document" from former ëmployers" so will be careful what I send - haha

• Alexandru_BD
    Options

🙂👍️

Premium Security & Bitdefender Endpoint Security Tools user