Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Bitdefender delaying desktop icons display

Options

I'm running a paid for version of Bitdefender Total Security on a HP i3 12100 PC. Running Windows 11 Home. Was running fine for 7 months.

About a week ago, on a power on boot, (happens on restart also), the Win11 taskbar displays on the bottom as normal but then it takes 51 seconds for the desktop icons to display.

I booted into Win11 safemode and the desktop icons displayed immediately. So then I knew that it was a startup app that was causing the delay. After eliminating the startup apps, it appeared that BD was causing the problem.

So yesterday I did the BD recommended repair using the control panel. It did an uninstall, downloaded a new copy, prompted for reinstall and I said yes. The reinstall happened successfully.

Shutdown and did a power on boot. Win 11's desktop icons displayed immediately. Great, the problem was fixed. ……….. I did a shutdown and another power on boot. Desktop icons displayed immediately. Good again. ……….. Shutdown the PC in the evening. ………. This morning, on a power on boot, the 51 second delay for the desktop icon display is happening again.

Please help. I'm stumped.

(BTW, I'm running BD Total Security on an i7 tower PC with Windows 10. It has been running fine with no desktop icon delay. Also on a Win10 laptop and it's fine also.)

Answers

• Desmond
    Desmond
    edited April 30
    Options

same problem here!
    intel i7-13700 with 32GB ram and 1TB SSD spec
    startup apps delay and after start pc try typing the keyboard are lagging
    after uninstall bitdefender all running well

• Raptor88
    Options

Try this as it might have fixed my problem:

In Windows, go START > CONTROL PANEL > POWER OPTIONS > CHOOSE WHAT THE POWER BUTTONS DO:

In the lower area, if "Turn on fast startup" is enabled but grayed out, then near the top click "Change settings that are currently unavailable". That will enable changing the settings. Uncheck the fast startup. (I also unchecked the other 3 options)

Now shutdown and do a power on boot. Do this twice.

Did it fix your problem?

• Raptor88
    Options

My response disappeared! Will try once more.

Try this as it might have fixed my delay problem:

In windows go:

START => CONTROL PANEL => POWER OPTIONS => CHOOSE WHAT THE POWER BUTTONS DO:

If "Turn on fast startup" is on, turn it off.
    - In the upper part, click "Change settings that are currently unavailable".
    - Then turn off the fast startup.

Now do a shutdown and then a power on boot.
    Do this twice!

Did it fix you problem?

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Raptor88 and @Desmond ,

Fast startup is notorious for causing all kinds of weird and not-so-wonderful problems.

I always shut that off when I get a new computer, as well as hibernation.

Have a great day.

Regards,
    Phil

• Raptor88
    Raptor88
    edited May 1
    Options

Turning off Windows 11's fast boot did not fix my 51 second delay to display the desktop icons in Win11 after all. That problem has returned on this morning's power on boot. …. There appears to be a compatibility problem between Bitdefender Total Security (BDTS) and Win11 since the delay problem is not happening on my Win10 tower or my Win10 laptop.

It's 99.9% verified that the 51 second delay is being caused by BDTS since the delay doesn't happen when I boot Win11 into safe mode. And since I disabled all startup apps except BDTS and the delay still happens. Also since when I did BDTS recommendation to do an uninstall repair, that fixed the 51 second delay for a few normal boot ups into Win11 but then the delay problem returned.

Bitdefender techs, could you please comment. I need help. Thanks.

• Flexx
    Flexx DEFENDER OF THE YEAR 2023 / DEFENDER OF THE MONTH ✭✭✭✭✭ mod
    edited May 1
    Options

Kindly contact Bitdefender support by visiting https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/

Select, Activate and InstallInstallI don't knowContact Support→You will get the option of chatcall or email.

Regards

Life happens, Coffee helps!

Show your Attitude, when you reach that Altitude!

Bitdefender Ultimate Security Plus (user)

• Raptor88
    Options

Flexx,

Thanks for providing the info to contact Bitdefender support. I just sent them an email with the symptoms that I posted above. Received a confirmation number. Will post results.

Thanks.