Bitdefender version update failing, serious issue

Petersl
Petersl Defender of the month ✭✭✭

Hi everyone,

My bitdefender tried to update to the newer version, the icon of bitdefender then disappears like it always does with a version update but then doesn't reappear.

After reboot bitdefender is loaded again at start but then after 15 minutes it tries to update the version again and again fails.

In the "info" it shows it updated today but it still shows the old version 27.0.35.147.

Comments

• Petersl

In task manager it only shows 2 bitdefender processes running after it tries the version update.

• Petersl

In the windows 10 defense center is says that bitdefender is postponed.

• Scott
    Scott Defender of the month mod

Hello,

At this point, I would try and run a repair. As you showed, BD Total should have approx 16 processes running.

https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/answer/13429/

If that doesn't work, then I suggest a complete uninstall using the Uninstall tool, then reinstalling from your Central account.

https://www.bitdefender.com/uninstall/

Kind regards.

All Bitdefender Home Product User Guides: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/user-guides/

• Petersl

I've reinstalled bitdefender as you suggested and I now have the latest running.

I first tried manually updating before the reinstall and this got the updater stuck at 84% (this issue is on 2 windows 10 devices), then I tried reinstalling using the bitdefender uninstaller program and selected the option to reinstall, this got stuck at 20% (also on the 2 windows 10 devices).

I then used the bitdefender uninstaller tool and this finished with errors, I then ran it again and the second time it finished without errors.

I might know what the cause was (I'm not completely sure however), the thing that both windows pc's have in common besides bitdefender total security is that on both pc's nordvpn version 7.23.3.0 was installed. In this version of nordvpn there is an issue that nordvpn updater downloads the install file and runs the install file after every boot.

So I think because when bitdefender was trying to update to the latest versions there was already an installer of nordvpn running in the background so maybe this was the cause as I didn't have the issue on my windows 10 desktop which does not have nordvpn installed on it, on this pc the bitdefender updated to the new version normally and without issue.

I did try by uninstalling the nordvpn first but this did not fix the issue with bitdefender update, I noticed also that when bitdefender tried to update after I uninstalled nordvpn it no longer actually downloaded the update files from the bitdefender server so I thinks it just ran the update files it had already downloaded when nordvpn was still installed and failed to install them.

Even when forcing an bitdefender to update using the manual update did not have bitdefender redownload the update files, it just tried installing new version update but after then the bitdefender tray icon and widget disappeared it did not come back until I rebooted my pc and then it was still the old version.

It be great for to avoid future issues with the updater that when using the manual updater it always redownloads the update files instead of using the old files.

Thx

• Flexx
    Flexx DEFENDER OF THE YEAR 2023 / DEFENDER OF THE MONTH ✭✭✭✭✭ mod
    edited May 31

You shouldn't have uninstalled Bitdefender after running an update that got stuck at 84%. Bitdefender, when updating, usually stops at 80% for some time (around 5-10 minutes) to update itself.

Kindly perform the following steps and see if they help you in any way:

1) Uninstall the Bitdefender product using the Add/Remove Programs option in Windows.

2) To remove any remaining files, download and run the Bitdefender product uninstaller from thhis link: https://www.bitdefender.com/files/KnowledgeBase/file/Bitdefender_2023_Uninstall_Tool.exe

3) Restart your PC in safe mode. You can follow this guide: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/start-your-pc-in-safe-mode-in-windows-92c27cff-db89-8644-1ce4-b3e5e56fe234

4) As soon as the desktop opens, assuming your Windows drive is 'C,' open the following locations in the 'Run' command (Windows icon + R) one by one:

C:\Program Files (delete any folder with the name bitdefender)

C:\Program Files (x86) (delete any folder with the name bitdefender)

C:\ProgramData (delete any folder with the name bitdefender)

C:\Users{your PC name}\AppData\Local (delete any folder with the name bitdefender)

5) Open the Run command and execute the following commands one by one:

temp - delete all the files in the folder

%temp% - delete all the files in the folder

prefetch - delete all the files in the folder

6) Open the registry editor through the 'Run' command (Windows icon + R) and then type 'regedit.' Once the registry editor opens, click on 'Edit' -> 'Find,' and make sure to checkmark 'Match whole strings only.' Type 'bitdefender' in the search box and click 'Find Next.' If any file or folder with the name 'bitdefender' is found, delete it. Continue searching the registry and deleting until the search reports no registry keys found. Restart your PC in normal mode by unchecking the option you selected to run the system in safe mode, and then click 'Apply.'

7) Remove devices from your online Bitdefender Central:

8) Download the online installer for your respective Bitdefender product from the links provided below: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/answer/2795/

Bitdefender Antivirus Free: https://download.bitdefender.com/windows/installer/en-us/bitdefender_avfree.exe

Bitdefender Antivirus Plus: https://download.bitdefender.com/windows/installer/en-us/bitdefender_antivirus.exe

Bitdefender Internet Security: https://download.bitdefender.com/windows/installer/en-us/bitdefender_isecurity.exe

Bitdefender Total Security: https://download.bitdefender.com/windows/installer/en-us/bitdefender_tsecurity.exe

Once your respective Bitdefender product is installed, a Bitdefender dialogue box will open. You will need to log in with your registered Bitdefender Online Central details, and after a successful login, your product will be synchronized with your Bitdefender Online Central account. Therefore, your product will be registered and activated with Bitdefender Online Central automatically.

If the issue persists, Kindly contact Bitdefender support by visiting https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help

Select, How to's & Troubleshooting Bitdefender productsTroubleshootingI don't knowContact Support→ You will get the option of chatcall or email.

Regards

Life happens, Coffee helps!

Show your Attitude, when you reach that Altitude!

Bitdefender Ultimate Security Plus (user)

• Petersl

Hi,

It did got stuck at 84% as I waited for about an hour.

I then tried to reinstall using the bitdefender uninstaller program but that always gets stuck for ever at 20% (I had this even years ago when I wanted to uninstall it always gets stuck at 20%).

Then I used the bitdefender uninstaller tool and after reboot removed remaining files of bitdefender using revo uninstaller pro.

I then removed my device from central and downloaded the latest version and installed it without issue, I now have version 27.0.38.163 running.

Thx

• Flexx

Nice to know that your issue has been resolved.

Regards

• Petersl
    edited July 4

Hi everyone,

The issue is back, when my bitdefender is trying to update to the newest version the bitdefender tray icon and widget just disappears and only 2 bitdefender processes are shown running in the task manager.

When I reboot the pc bitdefender is back running normal but with still the old version, the update keeps failing even when trying to manual update it just gets stuck on 84%.

This issue started last month when bitdefender tried to update to version 27.0.38.163 from version 27.0.35.147.

I resolved it then by uninstalling bitdefender using the uninstaller tool and reinstalling bitdefender but now it again is failing to install the latest version.

I have this on 2 pc's both laptops running windows 10 22H2.

I don't want to have to uninstall and reinstall bitdefender on these 2 computers every time there is a new version, I simply let it after rebooting my pc run the definitions update that bitdefender runs 5 minutes after boot and then I disable the automatic update until next boot as a temporary workaround until this will be hopefully fixed.

I've let bitdefender support know about this issue and I'm waiting for a reply from them.

Anyone have a solution other then just reinstalling as that doesn't solve the underlining issue whatever it is that could be causing this? A bug in the latest versions of bitdefender or a conflict with some other software?

Thx

• Hello @Petersl and welcome back here. 🙂

Are you using a 3rd party firewall by any chance? If yes, try adding *.bitdefender.net and *.bitdefender.com to the 3rd party firewall's exclusions list. This means that any URL ending in .bitdefender.net will be excluded, so the updates should go through. Otherwise, let us know what the Support teams advise.

Regards,

Alex

Premium Security & Bitdefender Endpoint Security Tools user

• Petersl

Hi @Alexandru_BD

I'm not using a third party firewall, I only have bitdefender total security. I have not heard back yet from support, I'll let you know when I do.

• Petersl

Hi @Alexandru_BD

Support has contacted me and they had me run a few troubleshoots:

"In order to troubleshoot this situation, please follow these steps:

1. Click the Start button and type Internet Options inside the search bar then select Internet Options.
      In the window that appears, go to Connections tab and click the LAN Settings button.
      Uncheck "Use a proxy server for your LAN" then click OK. Try again to log in to Central from your product.
    2. Open a Command prompt window with Admin rights (click on the start button from Windows, type CMD and right click on Command Prompt, then click Run as Administrator)
    • In the command prompt window, run the following commands and press enter after each one:
      a. ipconfig /flushdns
      b. netsh winsock reset all
      c. netsh int ip reset all

Restart the PC and try again

1. Change the DNS settings:
    • Go to Control Panel.
    • Click on Network and Internet.
    • Click on Change Adapter Settings.
    • Double-click your active adapter (network) and
      choose Properties.
    • Select Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4), then click Properties.
    • Select Use The Following DNS Server Addresses and enter the following addresses:
    • Preferred DNS server: 8.8.8.8
    • Alternate DNS server: 8.8.4.4
    • Click OK to confirm, then restart the PC."

However the issue is not resolved with this troubleshooting, the update still gets stuck at 84%.

• Flexx
    edited July 5
    Click the Start button and type Internet Options inside the search bar then select Internet Options.
    In the window that appears, go to Connections tab and click the LAN Settings button.
    Uncheck "Use a proxy server for your LAN" then click OK. Try again to log in to Central from your product.

This ensure that your computer is not using a proxy server, which could interfere with network connections, including logging into certain services or applications.

Open a Command prompt window with Admin rights (click on the start button from Windows, type CMD and right click on Command Prompt, then click Run as Administrator)
    In the command prompt window, run the following commands and press enter after each one:
    a. ipconfig /flushdns

ipconfig /flushdns: The command is a useful tool for clearing the DNS cache to resolve connectivity issues and ensure that your computer uses the latest DNS information. This command is often used in troubleshooting network problems where DNS resolution may be a factor.

netsh winsock reset all: The command resets the Winsock catalog to its default (clean) state. This effectively removes any custom Winsock configurations or LSPs (Layered Service Providers) that may be causing network issues.

netsh int ip reset all: The command resets the TCP/IP stack, effectively removing and reinstalling the TCP/IP protocol. This restores the stack to its default, clean state.

Preferred DNS server: 8.8.8.8
    Alternate DNS server: 8.8.4.4

Using Google's Public DNS servers (Preferred DNS server: 8.8.8.8 and Alternate DNS server: 8.8.4.4) offers several advantages, enhancing the overall internet experience. One of the primary reasons for using Google's DNS servers is reliability. Google's DNS infrastructure is highly robust, reducing the likelihood of downtime and ensuring stable internet connectivity.

Try the following steps even if you have already uninstalled your Bitdefender product before.

1) Uninstall the Bitdefender product using the Add/Remove Programs option in Windows.

2) To remove any remaining files, download and run the Bitdefender product uninstaller from this link: https://www.bitdefender.com/files/KnowledgeBase/file/Bitdefender_2023_Uninstall_Tool.exe

3) Restart your PC in safe mode. You can follow this guide: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/start-your-pc-in-safe-mode-in-windows-92c27cff-db89-8644-1ce4-b3e5e56fe234

4) As soon as the desktop opens, assuming your Windows drive is 'C,' open the following locations in the 'Run' command (Windows icon + R) one by one:

C:\Program Files (delete any folder with the name bitdefender)

C:\Program Files (x86) (delete any folder with the name bitdefender)

C:\ProgramData (delete any folder with the name bitdefender)

C:\Users{your PC name}\AppData\Local (delete any folder with the name bitdefender)

5) Open the Run command and execute the following commands one by one:

temp - delete all the files in the folder

%temp% - delete all the files in the folder

prefetch - delete all the files in the folder

6) Open the registry editor through the 'Run' command (Windows icon + R) and then type 'regedit.' Once the registry editor opens, click on 'Edit' -> 'Find,' and make sure to checkmark 'Match whole strings only.' Type 'bitdefender' in the search box and click 'Find Next.' If any file or folder with the name 'bitdefender' is found, delete it. Continue searching the registry and deleting until the search reports no registry keys found.

7)Restart your PC in normal mode by deselecting the option you selected while running the system in Safe Mode, then click 'Apply.'

8) Remove devices from your online Bitdefender Central: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/answer/2795/

9) Download and install your bitdefender product.

Note: After installing and updating, you may notice that the Bitdefender product might pause again at 84% for 10-15 minutes, and this is normal.

If the issue persists, kindly let us know.

Regards

• Petersl

Hi @Flexx

I had already tried your suggestion last month, I uninstalled bitdefender using the bitdefender uninstaller tool (uninstalling using the Add/Remove Programs option in Windows always results in getting stuck at 20%) then I used revo uninstaller pro to find and delete all the remaining files of bitdefender.

I then reinstalled without issue but a few days ago when bitdefender tried to update to the newest version it again failed to do so, then when trying to update using the manual update it gets stuck at 84% even when waiting an hour.

I'll let support know about it and I'll update this post when support has contacted me.

Thx

• Flexx
    edited July 6

Even after trying everything, including the help provided by Bitdefender support, the issue still persists. It's really weird that this problem remains unresolved despite all the efforts.

@Alexandru_BD, do you have anything to say?

Regards

• Just wanted to register and write that Im also having this issue. Im experiencing all the same issues OP described and have also tried all the Bitdefender troubleshooting steps.

Only thing I can add is that Im running the latest beta of Windows 11 build 22635.3858

Perhaps that might be the issue.

• Scott
    edited July 6

"Only thing I can add is that Im running the latest beta of Windows 11 build 22635.3858

Perhaps that might be the issue."

Agree, we don't know what may be happening between BD and a beta version of Windows 11. I would not consider it in this case to be an issue with Bitdefender.

If you wanted to get a hold of support in case they may be curious of what's in store, or even of a possible fix, they can be reached here:

https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Select, How Tos & Troubleshooting→Troubleshooting and go through the prompts until you get to the black Contact Support box. You will have the the options of Chat, Call or Email. Chat is the quickest way to get thing started, phone support is not toll-free.

Kind regards.

All Bitdefender Home Product User Guides: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/user-guides/

• So , again, me too stuck @84% after a week of working updates.

Tried to uninstall … stuck;

reboot;

used Bitdefender_2023_Uninstall_Tool.exe twice;

chkdsk c: /f /r ;

Install again.

… aaaand stuck at 84% forever - maybe because:

(excerpts from fullinst.out1:)
    wslib failed to install file C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\atc.sys, step: 21, error: 13
    wslib install error -2011 (Install has failed (maybe because files could not be overwritten))
    ----installer: Delete WSLib Instance 000002496CB7CAC0

Processes start begin
    -Starting process: [0]
    Processes start end 0
    Installation end -2011 2 0

this should have nothing to do with Proxy setttings or DNS, isn't it?

84%

• Eric01
    Eric01 Mr.

I have the same stuck at 84% issue on two laptops. I also reported it to Bitdefender support and provide them everthing they need. They gave me the same suggestions but these suggestions can not solve this problem. Bitdefender support need to solve this problem ASAP!!!

• To be fair, for the first time their suggestions worked because there were apparently some NTFS issues - but why does it appeared again? This time there seem to be no filesystem issues...

Checking fs locks with procmon and other Sysinternals tools doesn't show anything meaningful.

• Jocelyn Simard
    edited July 17

*** Following!!!

I have the exact same problem too since may 31 this year! It also happened on july 3rd and again on july 16. I have been wasting way too much time on this issue!!!

Everything user Petersl describe is exactly what I've been observing…

I unset the "Silent update" option and what I get is:

If I check the details:

So, I have no choice to cancel - it's the only button enabled.

The latest file in the C:\Program Files\BitDefender\BitDefender Security App is bdch.json. This file seems to be stuck at previous version…

It looks like the new version is there in the *.upd file, but the switch of version has not been done. For example, I have the about.exe file at version 27.0.40.169 AND the file about.exe.upd at version 27.0.40.173.

I'm no expert in Windows, but could it be a security enforcement Microsoft did in the lastest update?

I'm on Windows 10 Pro 22H2…

Regards,

• dvsls
    dvsls QA Manager BD Staff
  • Alexandru_BD
    Alexandru_BD admin
    edited July 17

Hello,

Jumping in here, as I've noticed new reports concerning the update getting stuck at 84% and wanted to let everyone know that this is being investigated. However, we won't be able to provide a solution on the forum, at least not yet, because this will require the engineers to intervene remotely on the affected devices. Reinstalling the software won't fix this.

Therefore, my request to all members who encounter this problem is to contact the Bitdefender technical assistance teams, in order to schedule and execute a remote session. This will help the developers obtain a better understanding of the context and the circumstances involved. Such specific operations cannot be carried on the public forum, thus it is recommended to contact the Bitdefender Support, for a detailed investigation.

You can get in touch with the Support teams by choosing one of the contact methods available here:

https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

To connect to a Bitdefender representative, state your contact reason / choose request category, then choose between the two live channels, chat or phone, or fill in the contact form which will create a ticket for the engineers and this will also provide you with a reference number. The usual response timeframe for an open case varies between 24 to 48 hours, depending on the workload and business hours.

For those of you who already have an open case, please wait for further instructions.

Thank you for your understanding.

Regards,

Alex

• I noticed one user posted a solution that worked for him on another thread:

This would be a workaround, since he installed version 173 directly and there are no other updates at the moment. The new kits for v173 were deployed, however, it is possible for the issue to resurface when updating v173 to a newer version, so the bug is being addressed as we speak, to prevent this from happening in future updates.

Regards,

Alex

• I have the same problem!!!

First occurence: May 31 2024

Second occurence: July 3rd

Third occurence: July 16th

I have 3 PC. Today, it only occured on my main PC with Windows 10 Home (22h2 (OS Build 19045.4651). I used the uninstall tool and re-installed it again but SAME PROBLEM!!!

Did not have the problem on the Windows 11 PC and Windows 10 Pro (22h2 same build)

What bothers me the most, is that I get no protection (other than maybe MS-Defender) while this is going on!

Regards,

• dvsls
    dvsls QA Manager BD Staff

The support team will contact you to request a remote session.

• Petersl
    edited July 19

Hi everyone,

I just received a reply from support but they gave me the same troubleshoot as last time: "In order to troubleshoot this situation, please follow these steps:

1. Click the Start button and type Internet Options inside the search bar then select Internet Options.
    2. Open a Command prompt window with Admin rights (click on the start button from Windows, type CMD and right click on Command Prompt, then click Run as Administrator)
    • In the command prompt window, run the following commands and press enter after each one:
      a. ipconfig /flushdns

Restart the PC and try again

1. Change the DNS settings:
    • Go to Control Panel.
    • Click on Network and Internet.
    • Click on Change Adapter Settings.
    • Double-click your active adapter (network) and
      choose Properties.
    • Select Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4), then click Properties.
    • Select Use The Following DNS Server Addresses and enter the following addresses:
    • Preferred DNS server: 8.8.8.8
    • Alternate DNS server: 8.8.4.4
    • Click OK to confirm, then restart the PC."

Even while I had already told them this method did not work. Not sure if they even read my reply or there just swamped with tickets at the moment.

Bitdefender support this method does not resolve the update issue on my 2 laptops, when starting the pc the first update bitdefender total security runs (this is a definitions update) at about 5 minutes after boot runs without issue but then the second update (this is a version update) that it runs at about 15 minutes after boot just makes the bitdefender tray icon and desktop widget disappears and all the bitdefender processes except 2 of them also no longer run in task manager.

The same thing happens when running a manual update, this one gets stuck indefinitely at 84% on 2 of my 5 windows devices.

Both the devices with the issue are Acer laptops running windows 10 home 22H2 and are laptops from 2016-2017, a Acer Aspire E17 and a Acer Aspire VX15.

• Scott
    edited July 19

Have you thought about doing a Windows refresh (reinstall)? Maybe it's been posted but this thread is so long. If you want to truly run BD on those two Acer laptops, that may be an option, no? You've been going at this for how long? I have two PC's (1 Dell and 1 HP) of 5 that BD doesn't get a long with and I didn't even try doing 80% of the things you've done, but installed a different AV and they're both humming right along. Just sayin :)

• Petersl
    edited July 19

Hi @Jocelyn Simard

What I do as a temporary workaround until this issue is fixed, I let the first update run that runs at about 5 minutes after boot (this is a malware definitions update), this update always works on my pc, then I turn off automatic update and select "until next reboot".

This way I can still use bitdefender total security with the older version but with the latest definition updates but I do have to reboot the pc every time I want to update the malware definitions.

• Petersl

Hi @Scott

Yes I have already tried doing a refresh on one of my 2 laptops but the issue remains, I can install the latest version on it no problem as a fresh install of bitdefender but when there was a new version it again got stuck at 84%.

You said " installed a different AV and they're both humming right along", what other AV are you using?

Thx

• Scott
    edited July 19

Pre Putin's war, it was Kaspersky IS and then Plus, then F-Secure. I became disillusioned with them when they, F-Secure went with AmazonAWS which shows up in every search, including even when using Mullvad VPN.

So now I'm using AVG free (which includes a Firewall and advanced Ransomware protection) on those PC's. The three mentioned ran wonderfully, but one PC still wasn't holding Exceptions very well when running an intense CAD software (slowed it down) but with AVG, I don't have that problem, I don't even have to disable it (one right click of the system tray icon) to get the performance I'm looking for when running that software. And if you go to AV Comparatives, Avast and AVG are right up there protection wise and performance wise with BD.

I'm not trying to steer you away from BD, and promote a different AV, but I know how frustrating it can be, and am just providing my 2cents worth :)

• Petersl

Thanks @Scott

I used to use comodo internet security myself and still have it running on my mothers windows 10 desktop.

I used to have bitdefender total security as well on this pc but about a year ago for some reason the bitdefender total security firewall and antivirus protection could not be enabled after a version update, so I uninstalled bitdefender from her pc and installed comodo internet security which should be good enough for her.

I switched from comodo to bitdefender about 3 years ago after using comodo for about 10 year because it had a issue for a long time that it sometimes froze my pc for a few minutes after boot and I got very frustrated with the time it took for comodo to fix it.

Comodo has since fixed this issue so I guess I could go back to comodo at least until the issue with the bitdefender version update getting stuck at 84% is fixed because I do prefer bitdefender total security as it has a more comprehensive protection then comodo internet security.

• Scott
  • Today's 84% failed update brought once again by wslib:

wslib installing file C:\Program Files\Bitdefender\Bitdefender Security App\wscfix_app.dll
    wslib failed to install file C:\Program Files\Bitdefender\Bitdefender Security\accessl.dll, step: 21, error: 13
    wslib install error -2011 (Install has failed (maybe because files could not be overwritten))
    ----installer: Delete WSLib Instance 000002E43E0C6070
    Processes start begin
    Processes start end 0

• I followed the solution and it also worked for me.

A few differences, I only ran Bitdefenders standalone uninstaller, rebooted and went to Bitdefender Central and downloaded the online installer. It installed version 27.0.40.173.

Everything is now working correctly.

Lets hope the issue doesnt come back when the next product update is released.

• Petersl

Hi everyone,

Update: Bitdefender support has contacted me and told me they are investigating the issue:
    "Thank you for your email.

The situation concerning the update getting stuck at 84% is currently under investigation.

In order for us to obtain the proper information from the logs, we kindly ask you to follow the exact steps below :

1. uninstall Bitdefender with this tool: https://www.bitdefender.com/files/KnowledgeBase/file/Bitdefender_2023_Uninstall_Tool.exe
    2. restart, then install with a new installation kit from your Central Account
    3. this step must be performed as soon as the installation is finished, otherwise the logs might not provide us with the required info. What you need to do is to navigate to c:\program files\bitdefender\bitdefender security app\ and run the supporttool.exe file as administrator (right click on it and click run as administrator).
    4. when given the option click on "Try to reproduce the issue".
    5. restart your computer, then initiate a manual update process and wait for it to get stuck at 84%. Leave it like this for 5 minutes, then you can click on Finish, so that the logs are collected."

However I'm a little confused as they want me to run the diagnostic tool after I first uninstall and reinstall bitdefender, the issue of the update getting stuck at 84% only happens when bitdefender is trying to install a new version and not when I have the latest version installed as I tried this last month when I encountered this issue for the first time, I then uninstalled bitdefender and reinstalled the latest version and it then update without any issue for about a month when then the newest version became available.

Would it not be better to run the diagnostic tool on the older version I have currently running because the update issue only occurs (at least on my pc) when trying to update to the newest versions?

• Excerpts from the freshest self-update C:\Program Files\Bitdefender\Bitdefender Security\installer\fullinst.out1
    -Fullinstall: added to files: [C:\Program Files\Bitdefender\Bitdefender Security App\about.exe]
    -Fullinstall: added to files: [C:\Program Files\Bitdefender\Bitdefender Security\accessl.dll]
    -Fullinstall: added to files: [C:\Program Files\Common Files\Bitdefender\SetupInformation\CL-27-5B9CF9AD-085E-492E-9C7F-296102B3D2BE\additional.dll]

-Fullinstall: added to files: [C:\Program Files\Bitdefender\Bitdefender Security App\vulnerability.settings.plugin.dll]
    -Fullinstall: added to files: [C:\Program Files\Bitdefender\Bitdefender Security App\vulnerability.wifi.plugin.dll]
    -Fullinstall: added to files: [C:\Program Files\Bitdefender\Bitdefender Security\vulnerabilityal.dll]
    -Fullinstall: added to files: [C:\Program Files\Bitdefender\Bitdefender Security\vusrvp.dll]
    -Fullinstall: added to files: [C:\Program Files\Bitdefender\Bitdefender Security\watchdog.dll]
    -Fullinstall: added to files: [C:\Program Files\Bitdefender\Bitdefender Security App\webpc.dll]
    -Fullinstall: added to files: [C:\Program Files\Bitdefender\Bitdefender Security\winstoresupport.dll]
    -Fullinstall: added to files: [C:\Program Files\Bitdefender\Bitdefender Security\wsc.dll]
    -Fullinstall: added to files: [C:\Program Files\Bitdefender\Bitdefender Security\wscfix.exe]
    -Fullinstall: added to files: [C:\Program Files\Bitdefender\Bitdefender Security App\wscfix_app.dll]
    Installation begin
    Processes stop begin
    -Stopping process: [0]
    Processes stop end 0
    Scripts preinstall begin
    ----installer: run ****** C:\Program Files\Bitdefender\Bitdefender Security\installer\preinstall\run_on_each_update.bdx
    -****** running vbs: szFile = [C:\Program Files\Bitdefender\Bitdefender Security\installer\preinstall\run_on_each_update.bdx]
    ----****** error 0x0
    ----installer: run ****** C:\Program Files\Bitdefender\Bitdefender Security\installer\preinstall\run_on_each_update.bdx -> 0x0
    -****** marking as run: time = [preinstall] fileName = [run_on_each_update.bdx] res = 0 bNotRun = 0
    Scripts preinstall end 1
    Processes check stop begin
    -Check process stopped: [0]
    Processes check stop end 0
    ----installer: WSLib dll returns 00007FFCFFFD0000 (error: 203)
    ----installer: WSLibNew returns 0000025777AE3060
    Product prepare settings
    Product perform update
    wslib installing file C:\Program Files\Bitdefender\Bitdefender Security App\about.exe
    wslib installing file C:\Program Files\Bitdefender\Bitdefender Security\accessl.dll
    wslib installing file C:\Program Files\Common Files\Bitdefender\SetupInformation\CL-27-5B9CF9AD-085E-492E-9C7F-296102B3D2BE\additional.dll

wslib installing file C:\Program Files\Bitdefender\Bitdefender Security App\log.dll
    wslib installing file C:\Program Files\Bitdefender\Bitdefender Security\log.dll
    wslib installing file C:\Program Files\Common Files\Bitdefender\SetupInformation\CL-27-5B9CF9AD-085E-492E-9C7F-296102B3D2BE\messaging.dll
    wslib installing file C:\Program Files\Bitdefender\Bitdefender Security App\messaging.dll
    wslib installing file C:\Program Files\Common Files\Bitdefender\SetupInformation\CL-27-5B9CF9AD-085E-492E-9C7F-296102B3D2BE\messaging_ipc.dll
    wslib installing file C:\Program Files\Bitdefender\Bitdefender Security App\messaging_ipc.dll
    wslib installing file C:\Program Files\Bitdefender\Bitdefender Security\mitm_install_tool_dci.exe
    wslib installing file C:\Program Files\Common Files\Bitdefender\SetupInformation\CL-27-5B9CF9AD-085E-492E-9C7F-296102B3D2BE\msgbus.dll
    wslib installing file C:\Program Files\Bitdefender\Bitdefender Security App\msgbus.dll

wslib installing file C:\Program Files\Common Files\Bitdefender\SetupInformation\CL-27-5B9CF9AD-085E-492E-9C7F-296102B3D2BE\vlflt.cat
    wslib installing file C:\Program Files\Common Files\Bitdefender\SetupInformation\CL-27-5B9CF9AD-085E-492E-9C7F-296102B3D2BE\vlflt.inf
    wslib installing file C:\Program Files\Common Files\Bitdefender\SetupInformation\CL-27-5B9CF9AD-085E-492E-9C7F-296102B3D2BE\vlflt.sys
    wslib installing file C:\Program Files\Bitdefender\Bitdefender Security App\vpnui.dll
    wslib installing file C:\Program Files\Common Files\Bitdefender\SetupInformation\CL-27-5B9CF9AD-085E-492E-9C7F-296102B3D2BE\vsdk.dll
    wslib installing file C:\Program Files\Bitdefender\Bitdefender Security\vsdk.dll
    wslib installing file C:\Program Files\Bitdefender\Bitdefender Security App\vshield.dll
    wslib installing file C:\Program Files\Bitdefender\Bitdefender Security\vshieldal.dll
    wslib installing file C:\Program Files\Bitdefender\Bitdefender Security App\vswizard.dll
    wslib installing file C:\Program Files\Bitdefender\Bitdefender Security\vulnerability.scan.exe
    wslib installing file C:\Program Files\Bitdefender\Bitdefender Security App\vulnerability.scan.plugin.dll
    wslib installing file C:\Program Files\Bitdefender\Bitdefender Security App\vulnerability.settings.plugin.dll
    wslib installing file C:\Program Files\Bitdefender\Bitdefender Security App\vulnerability.wifi.plugin.dll
    wslib installing file C:\Program Files\Bitdefender\Bitdefender Security\vulnerabilityal.dll
    wslib installing file C:\Program Files\Bitdefender\Bitdefender Security\vusrvp.dll
    wslib installing file C:\Program Files\Bitdefender\Bitdefender Security\watchdog.dll
    wslib installing file C:\Program Files\Bitdefender\Bitdefender Security App\webpc.dll
    wslib installing file C:\Program Files\Bitdefender\Bitdefender Security\winstoresupport.dll
    wslib installing file C:\Program Files\Bitdefender\Bitdefender Security\wsc.dll
    wslib installing file C:\Program Files\Bitdefender\Bitdefender Security\wscfix.exe
    wslib installing file C:\Program Files\Bitdefender\Bitdefender Security App\wscfix_app.dll
    wslib failed to install file C:\Program Files\Bitdefender\Bitdefender Security\accessl.dll, step: 21, error: 13
    ----installer: Delete WSLib Instance 0000025777AE3060
    Processes start begin
    Processes start end 0

• Flexx
    edited July 23

The extracts you provided are from a log of a Bitdefender self-update process. Here's a breakdown of what it means:

1. Fullinstall Entries:
      • The log lists various files that have been added or updated during the installation. These files are components of the Bitdefender Security application, such as about.exe, accessl.dll, vulnerability.settings.plugin.dll, etc.
    2. Installation Process:
      • The log indicates the beginning of the installation process (Installation begin) and the stopping of certain processes (Processes stop begin and Processes stop end).
      • Pre-install scripts are run (Scripts preinstall begin) to prepare for the update, and these scripts complete without errors (error 0x0).
    3. File Installations:
      • The log shows the installation of various files using a library called wslib, which installs files to their respective directories.
      • Each file installation is recorded, for example, wslib installing file C:\Program Files\Bitdefender\Bitdefender Security App\about.exe.
    4. Errors:
      • There is an error during the installation of the file accessl.dll (wslib failed to install file C:\Program Files\Bitdefender\Bitdefender Security\accessl.dll, step: 21, error: 13), indicating that the file could not be overwritten.
    5. End of Installation:
      • The installation process concludes with an error code (Installation end -2011 2 0), which suggests that the installation failed due to an issue with file overwriting.

In summary, the log details the steps and processes involved in updating Bitdefender Security, highlighting both successful file updates and a failure to overwrite a specific file, which caused the overall installation to fail.

You will need to share these extracts from the Bitdefender logs with the Bitdefender support team so that they can forward them to the product developers to find a fix.

Regards

• MCCD
    MCCD
    edited July 23

@Flexx Thank you for your reply. That was what I've thought it meant, although it was a different file at every failed update. After it errored , I've rebooted, then forced uninstall with Bitdefender_2023_Uninstall_Tool, twice. Downloaded the latest install kit from the BD Central and right after the ending of the install i've rebooted. After reboot , I've waited for a short period and rebooted again then left it for a while. Tried to cloud update - succes; tried to manual update - success again >

wslib installing file C:\Program Files\Bitdefender\Bitdefender Security\settings\install_config.xml
    wslib install success
    ----installer: Delete WSLib Instance 00000143D2A12210
    Scripts postinstall begin
    ----installer: run ****** C:\Program Files\Bitdefender\Bitdefender Security\installer\postinstall\patch_27.0.4_bdsubwiz_safepay_path_bdch.gpx
    -****** running gpx: szFile = [C:\Program Files\Bitdefender\Bitdefender Security\installer\postinstall\patch_27.0.4_bdsubwiz_safepay_path_bdch.gpx]
    Script C:\Program Files\Bitdefender\Bitdefender Security\installer\postinstall\patch_27.0.4_bdsubwiz_safepay_path_bdch.gpx
    Script result 0x0
    ----installer: run ****** C:\Program Files\Bitdefender\Bitdefender Security\installer\postinstall\patch_27.0.4_bdsubwiz_safepay_path_bdch.gpx -> 0x0
    -****** marking as run: time = [postinstall] fileName = [patch_27.0.4_bdsubwiz_safepay_path_bdch.gpx] res = 0 bNotRun = 0
    ----installer: run ****** C:\Program Files\Bitdefender\Bitdefender Security\installer\postinstall\version.gpx
    -****** running gpx: szFile = [C:\Program Files\Bitdefender\Bitdefender Security\installer\postinstall\version.gpx]
    Script C:\Program Files\Bitdefender\Bitdefender Security\installer\postinstall\version.gpx
    Script result 0x0
    ----installer: run ****** C:\Program Files\Bitdefender\Bitdefender Security\installer\postinstall\version.gpx -> 0x0
    -****** marking as run: time = [postinstall] fileName = [version.gpx] res = 0 bNotRun = 0
    Scripts postinstall end 2
    Processes start begin
    Processes start end 0
    Scripts postrestart begin
    ----installer: run ****** C:\Program Files\Bitdefender\Bitdefender Security\installer\postrestart\patch_27.0.5_install_safepay_service.gpx
    -****** running gpx: szFile = [C:\Program Files\Bitdefender\Bitdefender Security\installer\postrestart\patch_27.0.5_install_safepay_service.gpx]
    Script C:\Program Files\Bitdefender\Bitdefender Security\installer\postrestart\patch_27.0.5_install_safepay_service.gpx
    Script result 0x0
    ----installer: run ****** C:\Program Files\Bitdefender\Bitdefender Security\installer\postrestart\patch_27.0.5_install_safepay_service.gpx -> 0x0
    -****** marking as run: time = [postrestart] fileName = [patch_27.0.5_install_safepay_service.gpx] res = 0 bNotRun = 0
    Scripts postrestart end 1
    Installation end 0 2 1

Tried one more manual update, just for the fun of it, great success 😎

So it works from now, let's wait for about 3 weeks.

Regards,

CM

• Flexx

Nice to know that your issue has been resolved.

Regards

• Petersl

Hi everyone,

I received an update from bitdefender support:

"Hello,

Thank you for your patience and please accept my apologies for the frustration that we might have caused.

I have looked into the case and it seems that the situation is caused by an issue that has already been acknowledged by our development team. We are currently working on a fix that will be done by means of an automatic update and won't require any additional action on your end.

I will get back to you with an update regarding the fix as soon as we have one."

• Petersl

Hi everyone,

Update: bitdefender support sent me an update about this issue:

"This is a follow-up email regarding the bug report that you have sent us. I'd like to inform you that our development team is still working a fix and it's taking a bit more than usual. As previously mentioned, the fix will be automatically released through Bitdefender product updates, with no other actions requested from your side."