Bitdefender update gets stuck at 84% on windows when updating to new version

Petersl
Petersl Defender of the month ✭✭✭
edited July 22 in Install and Updates

Hi everyone,

When my bitdefender total security is trying to update to the latest version it gets stuck at 84% no matter how long I wait.

This issue first started last month when updating from version 27.0.35.147 to version 27.0.38.163. I fixed that by uninstalling bitdefender using the uninstaller tool and then reinstalling it but now I have the same issue again.

When it tries to update to the new version the tray icon and widget disappears like it normally does when updating to a newer version but normally it comes back within 30 seconds, now it doesn't come back unless I reboot the pc. There are also only 2 bitdefender processes in task manager when bitdefender update is stuck at 84%.

Then after reboot bitdefender is loaded again with all the bitdefender processes loaded in task manager but it still shows as the previous version 27.0.38.163 and the date of installation shows as today instead last month when I installed it, it updates the date every time I try to update bitdefender total security.

I have this issue since last month on 2 windows 10 laptops.

I hope this issue will be resolved soon as I really don't want to have to reinstall bitdefender total security on these 2 pc's every time there is a new version.

Comments

• Premium Security & Bitdefender Endpoint Security Tools user

• Flexx
    Flexx DEFENDER OF THE YEAR 2023 / DEFENDER OF THE MONTH ✭✭✭✭✭ mod

I have also replied to you in below stated post

https://community.bitdefender.com/en/discussion/comment/340796#Comment_340796

Regards

Life happens, Coffee helps!

Show your Attitude, when you reach that Altitude!

Bitdefender Ultimate Security Plus (user)

• Eric01
    Eric01 Mr.

There are many users have the same issue in the stated post

I do think it is a users' setting problem. Bitdefender should find a solution to solve this problem ASAP.

• I have this bug for a week now.In my house i have 3 pc with bitdefender,on 2 update bitdefender 27.0.40.169 to 27.0.40.173 work it,on my 3 pc its stuck at 84% or bitdefender is snooze.Try it all solution,delete registre,temp,uninstall tool from bitdefender,another copy of win 11 ,flush dns,sfc scannow etc…….

Same situation,when bitdefender try to bitdefender 27.0.40.169 to 27.0.40.173 stuck at 84% and antivirus is off=snoozed,until restart of pc.

After restart bitdefender try to bitdefender 27.0.40.169 to 27.0.40.173.Its bitdefender bug because i tried with clone win11 from other pc with succes update and same problem for my pc,NO UPDATE bitdefender 27.0.40.169 to 27.0.40.173 STUCK-FREEZE update and bitdefender turn it off.

I buyed avast premium and i think never bitdefender for me

• Premium Security & Bitdefender Endpoint Security Tools user

• I resolved the problem after safe mode clean unistal and bitdefender install version 173 update normal witohut stuck 84% and turning off antivirus.

So posible 2 solution,clean ALL bitdefender traces from windows and bitdefender instaler download version 27.0.40.173 instead of 27.0.40.169

I dont know what fixed but now,for the moment update is normal without snoozed or stucked bidefender.

• Alexandru_BD
    Alexandru_BD admin
    edited July 18

Hi @One1111, thanks for sharing your findings with us. 👍️

This would be a workaround, since you installed version 173 directly and there are no other updates at the moment. The new kits for v173 were deployed, however, it is possible for the issue to resurface when updating v173 to a newer version, so the bug is being addressed as we speak, to prevent this from happening in future updates.

Premium Security & Bitdefender Endpoint Security Tools user

• Petersl

Hi @One1111

I have also tried this method that you did last month, I uninstalled bitdefender using the bitdefender uninstaller tool and then deleted all traces of bitdefender using revo uninstaller pro and the reinstalled bitdefender without issue but when bitdefender then tried to update to the newest version about a month later the issue was back.

It seems that the update only seems to fail when trying to update to the latest versions and not when updating the definitions.

You don't have issues now with the update because you have the latest version installed but when the next version will try to install you probably will get the issue again, let us know.

What I do as a temporary workaround until this issue is fixed, I let the first update run that runs at about 5 minutes after boot (this is a malware definitions update), this update always works on my pc, then I turn off automatic update and select "until next reboot".

• Petersl

Hi everyone,

Update: Bitdefender support has let me know they are currently investigating the issue:

"The situation concerning the update getting stuck at 84% is currently under investigation."

Thx

• Thanks for the update @Petersl. 👌

Since we have another thread on this topic and also a workaround there, I think we can close this one and continue the discussion on the thread below, Ok?

Regards

Premium Security & Bitdefender Endpoint Security Tools user

This discussion has been closed.