Bd2011 Grayout: Computer Slowdown

I bought BD IS 2009 for 3PC (XP SP3) for 2 years, and upgraded to 2011 when it was available. Things were okay with occasional glitches so far. But over last two weeks, I am having repeated graying out of the BD icon on Taskbar. After so many hours of wrestling with this issue in two computers, I having some serious headaches. Here are they, so that tech support and my fellow expert BD users can address:

1. Graying out: Seems to be random.

Definitely does not depend on update status, because I did manual update repeatedly, till it says the software is up to date.

Related to memory usage?

Not even Ctrl-Alt-Del works, to access information provided by Windows Task Manager.

Everything slows down to a crawl.

Very erratic when administrative account is not open, and the computer in running in other user's account for days.

2. Repairing: Does nothing.

3. Uninstalling: The official separate uninstaller takes ages to finish uninstalling BD2011.

If my counts are right, it leaves 34 registries, 5 folders, 8 shortcuts and one *.ini file in windows directory. Though this is normal for windows' messiness, it is not an acceptable standard for a Security software.

4. Reinstalling 2009: As a last resort I was trying to downgrade back to BD IS 2009. Installation went okay, only the update stalls at 80-93% at the file Bdcore.

5. Uninstalling 2009: ....Developing....

Comments

• ad.it.ya
    edited December 2010

I am using BitDefender Internet Security 2011. Over the last few days, after a while of using the computer, vsserv.exe stops responding and the system slows down immensely.

The only temporary solution that I found is restarting the computer which itself takes a minimum of 10 minutes because of the slowdown.

This problem seems to be a random occurence. It doesn't occur after any specific program is under use or anything of that sort.

I've attached a link to the file that was created when I ran the BitDefender Support Tool.

• I am having the same issue. I have seen BD gray out before on an occasional basis, but it is every day now and my computer is also slowing to a crawl (to the point that it takes forever just to shut down). Also, I have noticed that starting today, just about every website I visit is blocked by BD's real time protection.

• Yup, same problem as above. Just after a week of using BD. I notice that the BD icon in system tray keeps reporting that BD services are loading please wait and vsserv.exe keeps working hard...

• @pspjr13 and @red55 - I would recommend, that like @Aditya, you follow this procedure and submit the log files to DanyDan for further investigation:

1. First please unplug the Internet cable from your computer or disable the Wireless adaptor if you are using one. This prevents the supporttools files from being automatically uploaded.

2. Click on Start and then choose My Computer/Computer.

3. Browse to:

C:\Program Files\BitDefender\BitDefender 2011

- considering that BitDefender was installed on the default C partition

4. Double-click on the supporttool.exe file - if you are using Vista or Windows 7, right-click on the supporttool application file and select Run as Administrator

5. Click on Next, wait a few minutes for the progress bar to complete and then click on Finish

6. A file will be created on your desktop. Please move it to a location of your choice (i.e. move it on your c:\ drive)

7. Reconnect your internet cable (only after you have moved the file to the new location)

8. Upload the created file HERE

9. Include a detailed description of the issue you are encountering and a screenshot of the error message, if there is one.

10. Send a PM (Private Message) with the download link to DanyDan of tech support. Include a link to this topic and give him as much detail as possible about your PC - exact symptoms, hardware (CPU type/speed, Memory installed, etc.), OS and version, 32-bit or 64-bit, any other security software installed or previously uninstalled. Any other relevant configuration information.

It may take several days for them to analyze the files and respond depending on their workload, so please be patient.

Regards,

• Same issue over here.

Colleague of mine also experiences this issue....seems to be a very annoying bug.

Reboot is the only solution...until codefix will solve it

• To continue my experience with BD IS:

5. Uninstalling 2009: Did not went well, the uninstaller said "Finished with error". After that, there were a long shutdown and l-o-n-g bootup.

Similar to 2011 product, I ended up finding 28 registry entries, 2 folders of log files etc., and one bdagent.ini file. I cleaned them manually.

6. Reinstalling 2011: Went well.

At the end update process was very sketchy. I like 2009 updating process with two bars showing progress for the current file being downloaded and total progress. I don't understand why these were replaced by a circle of death! See below: #8.

7. Restart: Initially the program shows erratic things about the account activation and real-time protection. I just ignored those.

8. Updating: This is an area that seems to be very counter-intuitive too.

If I select automatic silent update, apparently the updater takes its own time to update the software to current version.

If I hit the "Update Now" button repeatedly (till it says the software is up to date three times a row), I always got something downloaded and see the increment in Virus Signature or Engine version, or both.

My present version for Virus Signature is 6403417, and Engine Version is 7.35036. As I was typing this message, I was updated to 6403850/7.35037. Is there any way to check whether they are current? Or there is no such thing as current?

9. No Graying Yet: though the computer is a bit slow. ....Developing....

10. To nikki605: The issue is with the BD, not individual computer. So rather than solving individual problem, more focus should be to get these bugs fixed.

• Please add me to the list of experiencing this same problem.

I will use the support tool and get you the information later today, but I concur with the comment that if multiple people are having the same issue, it is most likely a software defect and Bitdefender should solve the issue for a group rather than troubleshooting individual issues.

• Same problem here I'll use the steps mentioned and mail you the needed info.

Regards,

Fida

• Hi Daneel , Please , post here in Forum un HJT Log , thanks Kind regards

• Please add me to the list of experiencing this same problem.

I will use the support tool and get you the information later today, but I concur with the comment that if multiple people are having the same issue, it is most likely a software defect and Bitdefender should solve the issue for a group rather than troubleshooting individual issues.

It is sometimes helpful for BD tech support to have the log files from several users experiencing the same problem in order to pinpoint the problem. Especially if they cannot easily reproduce the problem on their test systems.

Regards,

• Hi Daneel , Please , post here in Forum un HJT Log , thanks Kind regards

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.4

Scan saved at 7:58:14 PM, on 12/12/2010

Platform: Windows XP SP3 (WinNT 5.01.2600)

MSIE: Internet Explorer v8.00 (8.00.6001.18702)

Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:

C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe

C:\Program Files\BitDefender\BitDefender 2011\vsserv.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe

C:\Program Files\Intel\WiFi\bin\S24EvMon.exe

C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe

C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE

C:\Program Files\Intel\WiFi\bin\EvtEng.exe

C:\Program Files\Citrix\Secure Access Client\nsverctl.exe

C:\Program Files\Intel\WiFi\bin\ZCfgSvc.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\atiptaxx.exe

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Intel\WirelessCommon\iFrmewrk.exe

C:\PROGRA~1\SBCSEL~1\SMARTB~1\MotiveSB.exe

C:\Program Files\BitDefender\BitDefender 2011\bdagent.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Intel\WirelessCommon\RegSrvc.exe

C:\WINDOWS\System32\snmp.exe

C:\Program Files\BitDefender\BitDefender 2011\pchooklaunch32.exe

C:\Program Files\BitDefender\BitDefender 2011\updatesrv.exe

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live\WLIDSVC.EXE

C:\WINDOWS\system32\SearchIndexer.exe

C:\WINDOWS\System32\wbem\unsecapp.exe

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live\WLIDSvcM.exe

C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe

C:\Program Files\BitDefender\BitDefender 2011\seccenter.exe

C:\Program Files\BitDefender\BitDefender 2011\downloader.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\msiexec.exe

C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HiJackThis\HiJackThis.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\SearchProtocolHost.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://red.clientapps.yahoo.com/customize/.../search/ie.html

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = ${URL_SEARCHPAGE}

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = about:blank

R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157

R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896

R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://red.clientapps.yahoo.com/customize/.../search/ie.html

R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896

R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157

R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page =

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyServer =

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride =

O2 - BHO: AcroIEHelperStub - {18DF081C-E8AD-4283-A596-FA578C2EBDC3} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelperShim.dll

O2 - BHO: (no name) - {2787EA8E-8D87-48af-88AD-B30246C917AB} - (no file)

O2 - BHO: RealPlayer Download and Record Plugin for Internet Explorer - {3049C3E9-B461-4BC5-8870-4C09146192CA} - c:\program files\real\realplayer\rpbrowserrecordplugin.dll

O2 - BHO: Windows Live ID Sign-in Helper - {9030D464-4C02-4ABF-8ECC-5164760863C6} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live\WindowsLiveLogin.dll

O2 - BHO: Java Plug-In 2 SSV Helper - {DBC80044-A445-435b-BC74-9C25C1C588A9} - c:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jp2ssv.dll

O2 - BHO: JQSIEStartDetectorImpl - {E7E6F031-17CE-4C07-BC86-EABFE594F69C} - c:\Program Files\Java\jre6\lib\deploy\jqs\ie\jqs_plugin.dll

O3 - Toolbar: BitDefender Toolbar - {381FFDE8-2394-4f90-B10D-FC6124A40F8C} - C:\Program Files\BitDefender\BitDefender 2011\IEToolbar.dll

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [intelZeroConfig] "C:\Program Files\Intel\WiFi\bin\ZCfgSvc.exe"

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ATIModeChange] Ati2mdxx.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AtiPTA] atiptaxx.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe Reader Speed Launcher] "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 9.0\Reader\Reader_sl.exe"

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [intelWireless] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Intel\WirelessCommon\iFrmewrk.exe" /tf Intel Wireless Tray

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Motive SmartBridge] C:\PROGRA~1\SBCSEL~1\SMARTB~1\MotiveSB.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [bitDefender Antiphishing Helper] "C:\Program Files\BitDefender\BitDefender 2011\ieshow.exe"

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [bDAgent] "C:\Program Files\BitDefender\BitDefender 2011\bdagent.exe"

O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe

O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [PxDotNetLoader] "C:\Program Files\Fidelity Investments\Fidelity Active Trader\System\ATPStartupAssistant.exe"

O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Gamma Loader.lnk = C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Calibration\Adobe Gamma Loader.exe

O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\OSA.EXE

O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~4\Office10\EXCEL.EXE/3000

O9 - Extra button: Blog This - {219C3416-8CB2-491a-A3C7-D9FCDDC9D600} - C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Writer\WriterBrowserExtension.dll

O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: &Blog This in Windows Live Writer - {219C3416-8CB2-491a-A3C7-D9FCDDC9D600} - C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Writer\WriterBrowserExtension.dll

O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {CD67F990-D8E9-11d2-98FE-00C0F0318AFE} - (no file)

O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe

O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe

O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe

O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe

O10 - Unknown file in Winsock LSP: c:\windows\system32\nwprovau.dll

O16 - DPF: Garmin Communicator Plug-In - https://my.garmin.com/mygarmin/m/GarminAxControl.CAB

O16 - DPF: {5727FF4C-EF4E-4d96-A96C-03AD91910448} -

O16 - DPF: {CAFEEFAC-0016-0000-0013-ABCDEFFEDCBA} (Java Plug-in 1.6.0_13) -

O16 - DPF: {D18F962A-3722-4B59-B08D-28BB9EB2281E} -

O16 - DPF: {E2883E8F-472F-4FB0-9522-AC9BF37916A7} - http://platformdl.adobe.com/NOS/getPlusPlus/1.6/gp.cab

O17 - HKLM\System\CS1\Services\Tcpip\Parameters: SearchList = ccf.org

O17 - HKLM\System\CS2\Services\Tcpip\Parameters: SearchList = ccf.org

O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\Parameters: SearchList = ccf.org

O22 - SharedTaskScheduler: Browseui preloader - {438755C2-A8BA-11D1-B96B-00A0C90312E1} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\browseui.dll

O22 - SharedTaskScheduler: Component Categories cache daemon - {8C7461EF-2B13-11d2-BE35-3078302C2030} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\browseui.dll

O23 - Service: Ati HotKey Poller - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe

O23 - Service: Intel® PROSet/Wireless Event Log (EvtEng) - Intel® Corporation - C:\Program Files\Intel\WiFi\bin\EvtEng.exe

O23 - Service: BitDefender Desktop Update Service (LIVESRV) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Common Files\BitDefender\BitDefender Update Service\livesrv.exe (file missing)

O23 - Service: Citrix Secure Access Client Service (nsverctl) - Citrix Systems, Inc - C:\Program Files\Citrix\Secure Access Client\nsverctl.exe

O23 - Service: Intel® PROSet/Wireless Registry Service (RegSrvc) - Intel® Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Intel\WirelessCommon\RegSrvc.exe

O23 - Service: Intel® PROSet/Wireless WiFi Service (S24EventMonitor) - Intel® Corporation - C:\Program Files\Intel\WiFi\bin\S24EvMon.exe

O23 - Service: BitDefender Update Server v2 (Update Server) - BitDefender - C:\Program Files\Common Files\BitDefender\BitDefender Arrakis Server\bin\arrakis3.exe

O23 - Service: Updatesrv - BitDefender S.R.L. - C:\Program Files\BitDefender\BitDefender 2011\updatesrv.exe

O23 - Service: BitDefender Virus Shield (VSSERV) - BitDefender S.R.L. - C:\Program Files\BitDefender\BitDefender 2011\vsserv.exe

--

End of file - 8320 bytes

Best regards,

• Is there any way to check whether they are current?

This is the current: http://download.bitdefender.com/updates/up...gins/update.txt

It's updated whenever necessary.

• It is sometimes helpful for BD tech support to have the log files from several users experiencing the same problem in order to pinpoint the problem. Especially if they cannot easily reproduce the problem on their test systems.

Regards,

Just an update for the forum - I ran my machine yesterday with game mode on and did not experience a slowdown or a crash of the BD Services. Of course I did not download anything since my computer is in a vulnerable state.

Looking forward to patch from BD - soon.

• Since updating to 2011 I have had nothing but issues with BD. Soon after updating, my entire Internet was blocked so that nearly all websites were unaccessible. A patch from BD fixed that. I have now been having failures (exception error) of PChooklaunch32.exe on a VERY regular basis. The BD icon turns gray often and the PC is so slow that a hard power down is the only way to fix it.

This is becoming a very tiresome routine and was the reason I stopped using other virus software ( it was affecting the way the computer worked). These updates seem to cause more trouble than good...Are they not tested before issuing to the masses?

I will soon have to move to another virus checker if things don't settle down, I think...Too bad, because for the BD used to be so stable and not affect the PC operation whatsoever...

• This is the current: http://download.bitdefender.com/updates/up...gins/update.txt

It's updated whenever necessary.

Thank you, Cris. That is very useful.

To all my Forum Friends, thank you for sharing your experiences.

Best,

• saud
    edited December 2010

I have the same problem, Windows XP Sp3

My computer freezes immediately after booting. I restarted in Safe mode to uninstall BD but the Uninstaller doesnt work in safe mode, WHY?

I restarted again in safe mode with networking to get internet access, downloaded Bitdefender Uninstaller tool, uninstalled it and now everything is working fine.

Hope to get a fix soon.

• I updated yesterday and rebooted today and the problem reoccurred today. Guess I'll continue using BD in Game Mode.

Any timeline for a resolution, because at this point, I'm ready to dump BD for Symantec.

• I paid for BD last week, I think I should have waited a little longer. I Uninstalled bitdefender for right now.

They should fix it very soon..

• same issues here, was a prior issue with BD 2010, not as bad as 2011 though. BD 2008 and 2009 worked fine, really no issues at all. i purchased 3 licenses last year for 2010 and 5 this year for 2011. moved to BD 2008 cause norton was causing tons of performance issues, pretty much with every desktop and laptop that i use here at home (2 desktops and 3 laptops).

i was having the HTTP issues yesterday where every site was blocked by BD saying there was a site / virus issue, had to disable the HTTP pass thru just so i could get here and post my issues, later yesterday afternoon, a patch was issued and fixed the HTTP issues, but i had it one time last week (resolved next day) and then yesterday.

but the slowdown issues are really annoying, it's hard to do anything on my laptop when the slowdown issues start. yesterday i was trying to run one program (party drive buffalo drive explorer) , firefox and open office.org 3.2, the system was slowing down so much that it took at least 40 minutes to close the apps down with task manager just so i could get to a point where i could shutdown my laptop, i didn't want to do a hard reset and corrupt things the apps i was running.

vsserve.exe is one of the apps causing the problems, the memory use would climb and not drop and cpu usage was extremely high. i did some tweaks mentioned in some other threads, so the memory issues and cpu use seems to go up and down normally (well other than maxed out) but the system will eventually get to a point of extreme slowdown.

i will do the above mentioned steps (by nikki605, an apparent tony stewart fan ;) ) next time issues happen (right now things are running ok) and hopefully that process will catch what issues are going on so tech support can hopefully get to the bottom of this.

the extreme slowdown was an issue brought over from BD 2010, and tech supports main answer was to upgrade to BD 2011. but as you can see, this issue is still happening (and the first reported issues were like in summer of '09).

• Hello,

First of all I truly can't understand why everyone is posting in the same topic instead of creating their own topic. It is must easier for all of us.

The posts above are not related nor representing the same issue. Please check my answer for each of the you posting in this topic:

Aditya: your PC meets the minimum system requirements so I find it normal to have a small slowdown after installing the 2011 version. You can check the system requirements for BitDefender Internet Security 2011 at the link below:

http://kb.bitdefender.com/site/article/723/

Daneel: I would like to see a log generated on your PC. I created a ticket with ID: 201012151019093. Please send me the requested log file for analysis. You will have my answer back via email.

pspjr13:

red55:

LWolfs:

- please provide me the basics info about your PC and the BitDefender product you are using. I can't assist you until I don't have all the details. Your posts are incomplete.

Saud Iqbal: I understand everything works OK now ? Have you used a prior version before installing 2011 ?

FIW:

LarryMyers: I don't agree with your statement below:

- multiple people are not having the same issue, they only consider it as the same. From my experience I can tell that most of the cases where BitDefender is not running correctly is either by a faulty installation (prior versions or other security solutions software not uninstalled correctly) and/or other software running on the same PC interfering with BitDefender.

Fida: checked the logs you sent me. I also find it normal for you to have a PC slowdown: first of all your PC meets the minimum system requirements and second because you have a second security solution installed on it "Protector Suite 5.4". Uninstall it from Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel then restart the PC. Check to see if the slowdown issue has been resolved.

CARON67: with all the respect but who are you ? The Hijackthis log has nothing to do with Daneel's issue. Please PM me with the answer.

• Fida: checked the logs you sent me. I also find it normal for you to have a PC slowdown: first of all your PC meets the minimum system requirements and second because you have a second security solution installed on it "Protector Suite 5.4". Uninstall it from Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel then restart the PC. Check to see if the slowdown issue has been resolved.

Hi Dany,

The protector suite you mentioned is the fingerprint recognition software!! It has been on this PC forever and was never a problem with BD. I don't understand why I should uninstall it. The gray icon is occurring now daily and I can't do anything with my PC I can't even restart I daily have to shut my computer manually!

I tried now before I did the manual shut/restart to try and produce a hijack-this file or use the support tool during the gray ball but I waited for more than 1 hour for the computer to open my start menu then I gave up I have other work to do actually!!

What now?

Thank you in advance,

Fida

• I formatted my computer with XPSP3 and installed BD from the CD that i downloaded from BD Direct installation download link.

http://download.bitdefender.com/windows/de...us_2011_32b.exe

I burned it in a CD. installed it. When I started installing I did not download the update, I installed the local version. then the software updated itself at the end of installation.

Restarted my computer, problems started so show up.

• Daneel
    edited December 2010
    Daneel: I would like to see a log generated on your PC. I created a ticket with ID: 201012151019093. Please send me the requested log file for analysis. You will have my answer back via email.

@ DanyDan: A Log file has been sent on 15th evening. Thank you.

• Hi,

@Daneel: I have analyzed the logs and found the following:

- McAfee Security Scan Plus

- Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

- Wise Disk Cleaner 5.73

- Wise Registry Cleaner 5.8.8

You also have traces from the 2009 installation:

\??\C:\Program Files\BitDefender\BitDefender 2009\BDVEDISK.sys

Furthermore and allow me to quote you:

Given that resources are limited in this laptop, I know I am above the minimum requirement, but below the recommendation.
    I find completely useless to have all of the above software installed. You should stick to a single software and uninstall all others to save resources.

Follow the steps enclosed in my email and clean your PC. Let me know if the issue is resolved or still persist.

• - McAfee Security Scan Plus

- Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

- Wise Disk Cleaner 5.73

- Wise Registry Cleaner 5.8.8

I find it unreasonable to blame these softwares (see below). With reluctance, I removed all of them, temporarily. Before doing it, I did a semi-quantitative test, as described below.

You also have traces from the 2009 installation:

\??\C:\Program Files\BitDefender\BitDefender 2009\BDVEDISK.sys

That's the problem of the BD uninstaller I was talking about: it leaves traces and makes reinstallation useless.

I find completely useless to have all of the above software installed. You should stick to a single software and uninstall all others to save resources.

If a single software could do everything I want, I would. Besides, while sitting there without any real-time activity, I don't see how they can affect physical memory or CPU usage.

Thank anyway, for examining my log and all you tips.

I did a little spying on how CPU hog BD is and here is what I found out:

Scenario 1. BD Quick Scan Running: odscannui.exe is responsible for 30-50% CPU usage, while vsserv.exe jumps around and reaches as high as 50%.

Scenario 2. Malwarebyte Scan Running: mbam.exe is only taking up 3-20% CPU, and vsserv.exe is typically 8-20%. But at one point, vsserv.exe went as high as 98%, jamming everything to an halt for 6 secs.

As I read in other reports in this forum, this erratic paranoia of vsserv.exe is the prime culprit, and needs to be addressed seriously.

Regards,

• Final update - I hope. I updated again yesterday and have not experienced a greyed out icon or a slow down in the last 24 hours.

• Final update - I hope. I updated again yesterday and have not experienced a greyed out icon or a slow down in the last 24 hours.

Same here, thanks to DanyDan.

Thank you, BitDefender Forum.

Signing off for now,

• I was premature in my closing of this issue, the problem is back. I will be opening up a ticket with support - this is ridiculous.

• I am having the same issue on both of my computers. I can't do anything on my computers when it happens.. everything freezes. Does anyone know of a fix for this... It's so frustrating. :wacko:

• Daneel
    edited December 2010
    I was premature in my closing of this issue, the problem is back. I will be opening up a ticket with support - this is ridiculous.

I am in the same boat. After re-installation, my gray-out problem reappeared. Log sent.

• Unknown
    edited December 2010

Hello,

blahskippy: follow the steps below and let me know if the issue is resolved:

1. Open the BitDefender window, select Options, then select the Expert View;

2. Go to the Update module and click on Settings;

3. Uncheck the boxes next to:

- Upload BitDefender Files from this PC;

- Enable Update Sharing (P2P)

4. Click on Apply;

Daneel: your PC barely meets the minimum system requirements for the 2011 product. It is normal to have that small slowdown. Considering your PC performance I would recommend you to install and use the 2009 products.

• Hello,

The posts above are not related nor representing the same issue. Please check my answer for each of the you posting in this topic:

Aditya: your PC meets the minimum system requirements so I find it normal to have a small slowdown after installing the 2011 version. You can check the system requirements for BitDefender Internet Security 2011 at the link below:

http://kb.bitdefender.com/site/article/723/

I believe you've confused my issue with some other one.

I am not having just a "small slowdown", it is a major one.

Here's what happens:

1) At some random time, BitDefender services stop responding although the taskbar icon hasn't yet grayed out.

2) The computer slows down to the point where it takes about 2 minutes to open the Start Menu and another 10 minutes for the system to restart (that's the only solution I've found to get rid of the problem).

3) Since the computer slows down so much, it also takes a while before the BitDefender taskbar icon grays out and then I realise it's because of 'this', that the computer has slowed down so much.

4) I'm certain BitDefender caused the slowdown because I haven't had the problem ever since I uninstalled it about 2 weeks ago.

In fact, I uninstalled BitDefender with the Uninstall Tool and then re-installed it. During the installation process, the installer checked if there were any programs installed that would conflict with its performance but it didn't find any. Anyways, the problem was still there so I uninstalled it again. I can't figure what or where the issue lies.

• Hello,

Please read my post again. No, I am not confusing your issue with someone else as your name was mentioned at the start of my post. You ONLY meet the minimum system requirements for BitDefender 2011 so It is normal to encounter a PC slowdown with the 2011 version installed. I would recommend you to install the 2009 version, considering your PC performance. Your answer and situation is the same as Daneel's.

Topic closed.

This discussion has been closed.