Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Downloader.exe Causes Tcp/ip Error - Slows Internet

Options
peteyt
edited August 2010 in Old topics

For the last month or so when using the Beta for Total Security 2011 I had experienced problems with my internet. The problem turned out to be caused by the "BitDefender Update Downloader" service or "downloader.exe" creating to many connections. This in turn led to the following error in the event viewer.:

"TCP/IP has reached the security limit imposed on the number of concurrent TCP connect attempts."

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp."

The problem however still exists in the latest public version. When downloader.exe is running websites can take ages to load and often fail to load.

I was able to identify downloader.exe as the problem by using advice on the Microsoft website. The site told me to click "Run" and type in "cmd" and then "netstat -no" - i was to look for something with SYN_SENT and then match the PID on there with the PID on the process manager.

The problem has happened just now and I have 10 connections all with different local and foregin addresses but all linking to the downloader.exe process.

To double check that the problem was caused by BitDefender I did a clean uninstal of the Beta and left it a few days before instaling the latest public version. Within those days I'd usually have slow intenet every so often but I my connection was fine.

Has anyone else had this problem? Is there a temporary way I could disable it if need be while a fix is looked at as often my internet ends up being so slow I can't really do anything.

Thanks.

Comments

• Hello,

Please tell me if you have the following options enabled under the Update module:

- open BitDefender and switch it to Expert View from the Options button

- go to the Update tab

- go to Settings

- uncheck "Enable update sharing (P2P)" and "Upload BitDefender files from this PC".

- test to see if the issue still occur

Looking forward to your answer!

• Hey thanks for your reply. Sometimes it doesnt happen for a while so I will keep an eye on it.

Thanks again

• Downloader also causing slow computer response,

I though only Kaspersky causing this issue while updating.

But, Now Bitdefender 11 really disappointed then version 10

post-36478-1283330942_thumb.jpg

post-36478-1283331031_thumb.jpg

• Hello,

Please follow the steps below, disable the updates files sharing and the slowdown should be resolved. We are already aware of the issue and it has been escalated to the respectful department for further investigation. The resolution will come as an automatic update that requires no further action on your behalf.

- open BitDefender and switch it to Expert View from the Options button

- go to the Update tab then on Settings

- uncheck the following boxes:

a. Update sharing (P2P)

b. Upload BitDefender files from this PC

Please let me know if the issue with the Download.exe still occur.

Regards,

• Hi! I have also disabled those two options in the update control, but now the problem is not downloader.exe, now is vsserv.exe which uses 100% CPU.

This program really mess when you open a web browser. The strange part is that sometimes I have a lot of CPU free usage and my web browser conection is very slow. After sometime it returns to normal.

I am waiting for the update that corrects this issue.

Thanks

• Hi Leonhartv8,

In order to solve the issue you reported please try the steps below:

1. Open BitDefender in Expert View (Go to Options in the upper part of the Window, select Expert View and click OK)

2. Go to the Antivirus tab.

3. Disable the Search Advisor module and check if the issue still occurs.

4. If it does, Disable the Antiphishing module on that browser and check if the issue still occurs.

5. If it still does, click on Advanced Settings and disable the AVC module and IDS module.

Please let us know if any of these steps solved your issue.

Regards,

• Hi I'm having the same problem here needless to say I've followed all your instructions but there's no change.Has this problem solved since this topic is from September?

• Hi,

Yes John.Shephard26, the issue should be resolved. Have you updated BitDefender with the latest product updates ? Also keep in mind that you may receive a small slowdown of your PC if the P2P option to share BitDefender files is enabled. That option will allow other BitDefender users to upload files from your PC to update their product. If your Internet connection is a slow one then you may encounter a slowdown caused by "downloader.exe" file. You can disable the upload option and the slowdown won't occur anymore.

To give you all an example: I am sure everyone is familiar with a torrent client such as BitTorrent, uTorrent etc. When you have something put for upload and a lot of users are downloading from your PC the same file/movie etc then your PC may be slowed down. The same thing happens with the downloader file, as the same Peer-to-Peer protocol is used.

@john.shephard26: you should provide me with more details if you have a BitDefender issue. To be honest I can't jump into any conclusions by reading "I've followed all your instructions but there's no change". Allow me to remind you that the matter discussed here is not an issue.

This discussion has been closed.